Sound Problems, Amp & Speaker Buying Advice? Etc..

Having some problems at the moment with my speakers. I have rear speakers in my car, little vibe ones.

i have these in my boot and they are what wire up the rear speakers in my door card. but not sure what they do really.

But the thing I've noticed is, sound only comes out of one set of speakers at a time. So one minute my rear speakers will be working, the next minute the front ones will be working. And the front ones (in my door) give absolutely nothing in terms of bass or clear sound. Just wondering if any of you lot have had this problem and know how its solved. . .

Also I might be getting two subs off someone soon. But I don't have an amp yet so just wondering which amps you would advise I get. I'm on a tight budget so I'm looking for a cheap but 'does a decent job' option. Also buying some 6 x 9s for my parcel shelf hopefully soon, so you know, same again, whats cheap but good? And have many of you replaced your door speakers? And what with?

Edited by tiernz

cant really help with a few things but id never stick 6x9s in your car if ur going to eta sub pretty pointless really, theyre bass will be drowned out by the subs and the high just dont sound good coming from the back of the car

is get a good pair of front components and good quality sub you shudnt need anythin else in such a small car

6x9's won't sound great powered off a head unit, so they need to be amped. To run 2 subs you'll need 2 monoblock amps or a 2 / 4 channel amp. I'd ditch one sub, and buy a 4chan amp - 2 bridged to run sub and the other 2 for the 6x9's. Then you can run the front speakers (the standard loop ones ain't bad at all) and a pair in the rear panels (you'll have to mod the cards or get GTI ones, I'm modding mine). That way 4 mid-high range speakers, 2 mid-bass and 1 bass. That's what I'm doing in my loop except that I won't have a sub and the 6x9's and rear panel speakers will be amped, and the head unit will just do the front.

If I discover a way to bridge the head-unit output I'll buy some powerful components for the front too. In something as small as a loop I don't think a sub is necessary - I got pretty good bass with 4 6.5" off the head unit!

6x9's won't sound great powered off a head unit, so they need to be amped. To run 2 subs you'll need 2 monoblock amps or a 2 / 4 channel amp. I'd ditch one sub, and buy a 4chan amp - 2 bridged to run sub and the other 2 for the 6x9's. Then you can run the front speakers (the standard loop ones ain't bad at all) and a pair in the rear panels (you'll have to mod the cards or get GTI ones, I'm modding mine). That way 4 mid-high range speakers, 2 mid-bass and 1 bass. That's what I'm doing in my loop except that I won't have a sub and the 6x9's and rear panel speakers will be amped, and the head unit will just do the front.

If I discover a way to bridge the head-unit output I'll buy some powerful components for the front too. In something as small as a loop I don't think a sub is necessary - I got pretty good bass with 4 6.5" off the head unit!

Dude, thats the funniest audio advice I've ever heard :huh:

Mids in your doors and 6x9s are not designed to provide bass.

Most cheaper speakers like the standard speakers, and your vibe 6x9s will struggle to provide solid mid bass, never mind low bass.

You need to either replace the front speakers with some quality mids with plenty of external amp power to provide solid mid bass, or use a small sub to help with the bass and mid bass your missing out on.

Adding loads of speakers wont make it any louder.

Just noisey.

Have you checked your connections?

And you do know, that the standard wiring is wired to show the headunit 8ohm?

There fore, if you are using the standard wiring to run a pair of 6x9s your losing out half your headunit power.

im currently running the door speakers and a 12" sub running off a 2-channel amp at the moment. the only thing is, i have bass coming out of the sub and the door speakers are putting out higher tones, so i have nothing in between. this gets highly annoying, since its so hard to find the balance between getting the right freq/gain settings on the amp and the head unit. when i want bass, it comes out lovely from the sub but the door speakers are really straining. so i'd say do what im going to do and get a 4-channel amp, and run the sub off 2 channels and 6x9's off the other 2 channels as somebody suggested before, this also means that the only long bit of wiring you have will be from the head unit to the amp ;-)

the only thing i need to do now is work out whether to mod the rear cards and put the 6x9's in there or make myself an MDF parcel shelf. any suggestions?

Jus bang a peice of MDF of top of your existing shelf and get out the old chainsaw and drop a pair of 6x9s in, then wrap the lot in audio carpet :D