hesitaton and misfiring at 2000rpm

i have a lupo gti which was just about to be sold

at between 1500 and 2000 rpm the car misfires and hesitates BUT

the engine management light comes on,the dash lights dim then all the dash lights come on

this does not happen when the car has just started and takes about 5 minutes to begin,if you keep it revved high the car is fine its just when the cars in low rpms in higher gears

any ideas?

thinking plugs,leads or coilpack just with all the dash lights coming on puzzled me

thanks in advance

all dash lights,indicators,full beam,airbag etc

That could be a number of things:

1 - A bad earth could make the lights come on so have a dam good look around the engine bay and if you feel up to it take the dash apart around the steering column. All of the brown earth wires should be solid and tight.

2 - The connectors on the back of the instrument pack could have a worked loose.

3 - Instrument pack could be failing or even the ECU. (but that isnt a common thing so i would go with the earths).

I have just had a scan through some of your old posts, you have had a problem with the oil leaking into the plug areas. Have another check and make sure no oil is around the plug cap. A short or dodgy connection could be another potential problem.

You should really get the car connected to a computer and find the fault codes, most of which i would guess are now hard codes so could even be in limp home mode.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer