Removing Lights - Back Lights, Side Repeaters, etc

Checked over the Loop today and I've got the common problem of condensation in one of my back lights, one of my indicators and the rear brake strip.

So, can anybody answer the following questions. Come on you clever peeps :thumbs: NOTE - these questions relate to the GTI, not the "normal" Loop:

1) How do you take the back lights off. I've looked at the screw holding them in and I think I've read before that you remove this and slide the units to the side. Is this right and if so do you need a special tool to take out the screw? Doesn't look like a Philips or flathead screwdriver would do the trick.

2) How do you get the side repeaters (indicators) off?

3) Has anyone had a new rear brake strip fitted under warranty due to it having condensation inside?

4) I've asked this before, but I may as well ask it again. Have any GTI owners fitted new dipped beam bulbs. The main beam ones are easy, but the dipped beam are in the top of the reflector and don't seem to want to come out by pulling the holder. Do you need a tool to take the bulbs out from the front or anything?

Phew, long post that.

• 3 weeks later...

I got condensation in my brake strip, which blew some of the LEDs. Probably had been faulty for a while, but I didn't notice. As it was just out of warranty, I tried to open it myself, but this is IMPOSSIBLE. It seems to be glued in. Took it to the dealer, and they had to remove the whole spoiler to get the light strip out. It took them all afternoon, but they only charged 1 hour's labour, probably due to embarassment. Get it done under warranty if you can, otherwise I hope your dealer is as bashful as mine. I recommend everyone to check for this problem just before your warranty runs out.

Do you mean the side lights, rather than dipped beam, as the latter is part of the Xenon unit? The side lights are in the same reflector as the inner main beam bulbs. If you do, you just need to pull them harder, especially the first time. I replaced mine with white LEDs, which don't look yellow next to the Xenons - much smarter.

I do mean the side lights, you're right. I've already tried removing them, but I was pulling so hard I could see the silver reflector which the bulbs are in moving. You just have to pull do you, you don't have to unscrew it or anything.

As for the rear LED brake strip, mine has condensation in it too but I haven't had any problems with it so far. Will have to keep an eye on it as my warranty runs out in October.