Rear number plate lights

I've got a problem with the rear number plate lights - 1 of the 2 lights has stopped working. I thought it would just be the bulb but I've replaced that and it still does not work. I put a test bulb across the two terminals inside the housing but there is no circuit. I'm assuming that the cable connector must have come off inside the bumper. Can anyone tell me how to access this without taking the whole bumper off. Thanks in anticipation

[ smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Thanks for the response - I thought there may have been a way of getting in through the boot but that would be a source for leaks. As you suggest jacking the car up gives enough clearance but still a bit fiddly - must get smaller hands.

I had this on my mk4 polo, it turned out to be corroded terminals in the bulb holder. I just ordered a new one and popped the old one out and replaced it and it worked fine. It was only a couple of quid from VW aswell.