New Boy

marco-polo

Hello!

As you can see this is one of my first posts on here,

I'm just wanting a bit of help with the high level brake light on the 'Sport'.....

I only have two of the led lights still working in this and want to replace all the nackered ones.

Is this a sealed unit?

I have undone the 2No. bolts and tried getting it off but to no avail.

Is it one of those anoying parts you have to brake in order to remove it - and then buy a full replacement?

Any 'light' you can shed on this would be a great help

Cheers guys

Hello and welcome biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I had the same problem with my Gti, was even more tricky with the spoiler in the way angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> I took it to a VW garage in the end....I admitted defeat blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> lol thought it would be safer!

I was sat there for 2 hours whilst they done it, either they were taking the mick and just playing around with my car...or it really is that fiddley.

Not much help on how to do it i know, but hey at least i welcomed you biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Kelly.

Hello and welcome biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I had the same problem with my Gti, was even more tricky with the spoiler in the way angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> I took it to a VW garage in the end....I admitted defeat blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> lol thought it would be safer!

I was sat there for 2 hours whilst they done it, either they were taking the mick and just playing around with my car...or it really is that fiddley.

Not much help on how to do it i know, but hey at least i welcomed you biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Kelly.

Cheers wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

All comments are welcome...

Its just one of those fiddly jobs thats got me beat......

I know that on the gti, you have to remove the spoiler in order to remove and change the brake light which is probably why it took them a while. I also know that there are 3 screws on the inside of the tailgate that have to be removed to get the brake light out and im pretty sure that this will be the same on the sports.

I know that on the gti, you have to remove the spoiler in order to remove and change the brake light which is probably why it took them a while. I also know that there are 3 screws on the inside of the tailgate that have to be removed to get the brake light out and im pretty sure that this will be the same on the sports.

Yeah i removed the said screws and then pulled like hell but it still didn't shift it.

I couldn't see if there is any double sided tape on the underside that may be holding it down.

The more i pulled it the more i thought i would snap it or worse still pull some paint off!

Not good.

Looks like i can hear the VW Dealers calling rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

IIRC the brakelight is also clipped in, you need to spring it at one end, I broke the clip taking it out, but it needed replaced anyway, the complete unit is only about £15 for the non spoiler one from VW.

GTI is a bit of a pain, there is a good how to that Deek (DXG) did.

Link