Speed Cameras

D7 YME

Quick question a friend of mine thinks he got flashed last night. Can you flashed if you set of a Gatso but the line are on the other side of the road and you didn't actually drive over them. There was two lanes of traffic on both sides of the road. The line for the speed camera where going in the opposite direction to which the car was going and the camera flashed twice.

Nope your friend is fine nothing to worry about the camera's calibration is out! i have one near me i set it off all the time!!

cool thanks finally someone knows the answer. Thats what I thought but I kinda needed to have it clarified

Cheers Ty.

Question the firts flash is for your spped isnt and the second one is where they try to take your plate isnt it.

No, the two flashes are taken a second apart, and then they can use this with the markings on the road to confirm the speed you were travelling at (i.e. how many markings you passed between the two photos).

Either can be used for getting the numberplate, although the first one will usually be used unless it's unreadable for any reason.

No, the two flashes are taken a second apart, and then they can use this with the markings on the road to confirm the speed you were travelling at (i.e. how many markings you passed between the two photos).

Either can be used for getting the numberplate, although the first one will usually be used unless it's unreadable for any reason.

the marking where next to him

there was two lanes of traffic no central reservation

he facing the camera

and there where no line on his side of the road so what has the camrea taken a picture of

Well if he got flashed on the wrong side of the road, as said, it's not valid anyway. Who knows what it took a picture of, depends on how wide angle the lens is and where it's pointing.

true hopefully blank air can they try and send a NIP out anyways if they got the plate

The only cameras that can take a pic of you from the front are the Truvelo's, as they are infra-red and they don't flash and they are designed to take a pic of your face, it kinda stops people with company cars etc saying they don't know who was driving and getting off with the fine. If your face is visible from the photo on a gatso they can't fine you (so i've heard, as this happened to my friends dad).

The only cameras that can take a pic of you from the front are the Truvelo's, as they are infra-red and they don't flash.

Yes they do. I don't know why so many people still believe this when there's so many about now and they have a quite noticable flash. It's not as bright as a Gatso flash, but you'd either have to be blind or be out in a very bright day to not notice it.

It is the flash on the truvelo that is infared, you should not be able to see the flash.It is the pressure strips on the road which takes 4 readings which allows the speed to be recorded! If the readings show you are speeding they will activate the "invisible" infared flash providing the infarded sensitive film with the correct exposure and record a photo of your ugly mug:)

Edited by gargoil

It is the flash on the truvelo that is infared, you should not be able to see the flash.It is the pressure strips on the road which takes 4 readings which allows the speed to be recorded! If the readings show you are speeding they will activate the "invisible" infared flash providing the infarded sensitive film with the correct exposure and record a photo of your ugly mug:)

So to make a long story short al my mate did was srt it off and there is nothing that can be done about it due to the fact that gatso's have to take u from the rear. now on a round which alllows two way traffic to flow would they set the camera up to just flash two lanes rather than three. \if this is the case then they will only have a blsnk picture can any1 comfim this for me

No, it's not. The film in the camera is sensitive to infra-red light, the flash is a standard incandescent flash with a purple filter in front of it. The filter cuts out a lot of the light in the non-infrared spectrum, but there is still more than enough to be visible to the naked eye - it's still at least as bright as an average compact camera flash, and has a distinct purple tinge to it.

It's almost impossible to make a bulb that outputs a significant amount of light in the infrared spectrum but doesn't output any in the visible spectrum - look at heat lamps for an obvious example of this. The only realistic way to do it is to use LEDs rather than a bulb, and they don't do that.

If you don't believe me, try speeding through one. I've seen at least 20 instances of them going off, you will not miss the flash.

So to make a long story short al my mate did was srt it off and there is nothing that can be done about it due to the fact that gatso's have to take u from the rear. now on a round which alllows two way traffic to flow would they set the camera up to just flash two lanes rather than three. if this is the case then they will only have a blank picture can any1 comfim this for me

Oh get over it. It depends entirely on where it's positioned, who did the installation, how wide the lens is. Rest assured that you (oh, sorry, your 'friend') aren't going to get any points. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Oh get over it. It depends entirely on where it's positioned, who did the installation, how wide the lens is. Rest assured that you (oh, sorry, your 'friend') aren't going to get any points. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Cheers

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Erm, thats what I said!!!

Hmm.

Yes.

But you also said:

It is the flash on the truvelo that is infrared

Which is what I was commenting on.

Bikerz? Is that you?

Hmm well I'll take yer word for it!!I've never actlually seen one of these anyway as luckily I have to drive quite a wee distance to find a speed camera wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

edit...............

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso09.htm

http://www.snoopers.co.uk/truvelo_speed_camera.asp

http://www.radarexpress.com/support/speed-trap-guide.php

http://www.road-angel.co.uk/speed_camera_types.htm#gatso

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/truvelo.htm

All these websites say different though!! Who to believe?Who to believe? rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Is the flash you see from these cameras not actually the "intelligent flash" system which can be installed in these cameras and can collect traffic data and "encourage" people but is not actually a "live" camera. Seems a lot of confusion around the net about these things!

Edited by gargoil

Well, you could just look at the manufacturer's website wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Clicky

Magenta flash filter for front photography.

Oh, and here's the full datasheet: clicky.

When in doubt, go to the source. This issue is going to become more and more prevalent as people come to rely on the Internet for fact-finding - an incorrect statement published on a popular website will become accepted as the truth.

Snoopy you know your stuff! I always thought they didn't flash, but thanks for clearing that up, i have never seen one go off and i'd rather not be anywhere near one when it does go off.

• 3 weeks later...
Which is what I was commenting on.

Bikerz? Is that you?

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> No belive it or not

When in doubt, go to the source. This issue is going to become more and more prevalent as people come to rely on the Internet for fact-finding - an incorrect statement published on a popular website will become accepted as the truth.

Wikipedia anyone? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />