Alpine head unit - smoking !!

I'm wanting to put my g'friends alpine head unit in out GTI. Brought a `VW-Alpine` converter lead jobby from halfords. Connected it all up as it came out of her golf. Connected the permanent live to the battery in the boot. Had it working sitting out on the seat fine. Fed wires in and as I was sliding it in to the slot I heard a slight sizzle and had some smoke !!

The stereo fuse in the car blew. I took the stereo to my local ICE direct and they plugged it into a test bed and said its working fine so doesnt seem to have blown it up. Any suggestions ???? I dont want to put it in again with same problem, thought maybe a wire could have just shorted on the case or something. I dont really wanna have the permanent live connected to the battery. There must be one behind the dash that powers the standard VW unit ???

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Apline wire into the old power supply that was used for the stardard hu.

using 2 amps so dont need the amp in the alpine, still tryin to figure out how to turn the amp off in the hu.

maybe get the local ice shop to fit it?

i have been there be4 smokin head units, most that blows is a fuse , thank **** smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

not off hand, but was it the yellow one? - isnt that the power? -

one of the cables had to be cut aswell think it was the blue one, because the amp wouldnt turn off... couldnt figure it out

that cost 30 quid for 5 mins work sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

heya

so how do you turn your amp off now ?

i have a Clarion `head-unit` and i blew the blue wire wich normally switches the amp on when the radio is turned on

i dont like to have to put the key in the ignition to be able to listen to the radio, so i wired it to permanent live ... i then connected the amp to the ignition switch, so you gotta use the key to turn the amp on (only a sub) its the only way i could think of doing it

the last thing i wanted to do is fit a switch for the amp, then you have to remember to switch it off , yea right like im going to tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

yea the blue/white? wire is what amp is wired into...

but on the back of the alpine theres another wire that was blue that i had cut to stop the amp been on 24/7 cos of the battery drain.

i need to check my wire colours wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />