VW Fox 2008 rear washer

The Wookiee

Hi,

my daughter has a 2008 VW Fox 3dr (1.2) and has a problem with its rear wiper. At first I thought it was the motor, but upon investigation, I now think it may be a problem with the power to it. The fuses are OK, and I can hear the pump work when trying to use the washers. I’ve checked the supply to the unit, and only getting 5v? The reason why I also mentioned the washer,  is because when getting access to the motor, I noticed the boot was wet and a smell of the washer fluid was in the boot. It was wet on the passenger side in the boot and I noticed dripping underneath the passenger door?

how do I get access to where the power and washer pipe runs? Is there a separate unit in the rear which may have a fault due to the water escaping somewhere?

thanks in advance

steve

Edited by The Wookiee
Typo

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

You can check the pipe from the windscreen water bottle going to the wipers. There is a joint connecting this pipe to the two wiper washer jets, the garage found the joint was disconnected when I had the same problem.

As for the rear wiper jet, if you check the gourmet at the top of the tailgate where the washer pipe and wires go into the car you may find the hard plastic pipe is broken due to being frozen up in the winter.  The best way to deal with it is to join the broken hard plastic pipe ends with a connection of the same size, then wrapped them up tightly with SOS tape (the one that plumbers used for repairing pipe leaks). It's a bit of a pain because there are so many wires inside the gourmet but it is possible to pull the pipe out a bit in order to wrap the tape round the two joints.