Tdi turbo actuator problems?

FlipFlops

I've finally found a bit more time to look into my extremely poor mpg issues on the tdi (about 40mpg) and the low power its making. For £10 of fuel i'm getting about 80/85 miles of motorway driving. Its pretty bad.

Does anyone know how easy it should be to move the actuator arm for the turbo when the engine is off? The spring on mine seems extremely stiff and needs a lot of force to actually move the arm. It does move but it's really tough. I've done a compression test on the pipework and cant find any leaks. I've tried the compression tester on the actuator, i've pumped it up to pressure and the actuator arm/rod doesn't move at all. It also doesn't move when all connected up with the engine revving. Would this point to a faulty actuator, should the arm move freely without the need for lots of force?

I did the Mr Muscle turbo clean last night and a diesel purge and the sh*t that came out the back was unreal, 230k's worth of crap, it does run smoother and quieter now but it's still not making the power it should so i'm thinking the actuator is faulty? 

Edited by FlipFlops