Rear Drum brakes

TomLS

What an ass-about-face piece of crap design they are!

Right, having tackled many a set of drum brakes before, I offered to have a look at my friends Lupo which she was complaining was pulling to the right and grinding at the back on braking. Seemed to be the LH rear drum to me, especially as I bled the whole system for her a few months back.

Pulled it all off, no problems. Checked cylinder function, but having an inexperienced person in the driving seat meant she floored the pedal, and the horizontal plate which transfers the handbrake force between both shoes promptly fell out.

After 3 hrs of grunting, sweating, and swearing, we went back outside to look at the brakes again I finally got it repositioned and back to how it started.

As there was nothing actually wrong, I went to put the drum back on.

No.

Why are the shoes now ~1mm to far apart to fit in the drum? After 5 hrs this has really peed me off, and I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

And yes before you say it: the drums have formed a small lip around the outside from wear, but it came off ok!!

Cheers all

Tom.

Edited by TomLS

Sorted it:

Thank you to halfords for displaying Haynes manuals out of the plastic for my viewing :lol:

Turns out the 2000-2002 Polo has a very similar design!

3hrs fighting owned by a little knowledge and a pair of pliers. From starting it was done and test driving within 10min B) .

Apparently you just lift some pin which turns out to be the self-adjusting pin :blush:

Problem solved!