Help please

Ok I havent posted this in the gear box or clutch section because I havent got a clue whats gone wrong! I need help please.

Ill explain the problem in best detail as I can.

I was driving at 25-30mph went from 2nd gear to 3rd gear and all of a suddon it felt like I had no control over the power/revs and the car felt dead (but was still running and revs were still going). I rolled into work (luckly I was right outside) and called the AA. He suspects either driveshaft or gearbox. He said he couldnt see the driveshaft moving.

The car will go into gear no problems when its not on, when its on it still goes into gear but soon as I put my foot down on the clutch I get a loud noise. It still goes into gear thoe.

When the cars off and I put my foot down on the clutch there is no noise at all.

I have spoken to a few people who say they dont think its the gear box, they suspect either the clutch or the release bearing??

I need some adivce please.

Also the car starts fine and stays running fine.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by LupoL0ver

its very hard to advise without the car infront of you, if it goes into gear ok when not running it dont neceseraly mean its not the clutch as the box isnt spinning therefore the gears can still slot in. unsure as to the symptoms of gearbox and shaft issues as iv never had any problems with any of these on my cars, sounds like the best thing you can do is take the car to a decent garage and have them look over it.

Sorry just had another read of the original post, if its a loud squeeking noise i imagine its the clutch release bearing but i wouldnt like to be quoted on this.

cheers

rob

Edited by timthetinyhorse