Sloppy Steering

Not sure if anyone can help me, but....

My steering seems to be a bit sloppy. I have enough freeplay in the steering wheel that when im going along in a straight line the car is able to weave slightly as its going over little bumps and lumps and the bloody steering wheel is sitting straight and not moving!

As one can imaging this does sometimes induce a little sphincter flutter when one is getting a wriggle on!

Any ideas what it could be?

My girfriends new beetle doesnt have any free play and the steering is nice and firm and reasonably responsive, but mine is lacking. Other than vans I have no other real comparison to go on.

Edited by sgtazza

Has it just got worse or has it always been like that? Could be loads of things really...

Are your tyre pressures correct? What wheels & tyres are you using? (different brands have different sidewall hardness which affect steering feel)

Are any of the wishbone or anti roll bar bushes cracked or perished?

Are you still on standard suspension? Standard Lupo 1.4 Sport and 1.4 75bhp suspension is soft and underdamped, so the initial movement of the steering wheel is taken up by the cars weight shifting and the body rolling. Uprated dampers will help in this respect.

Thanks for the response Jon,

The tyres are at correct pressure, I have 15' Wolfrace wheels w/Toyo 45/195 T1-R's. Wheels are tight. lol.

Suspension/bushes etc are standard but in good condition.

I failed to mention above that the free play is in existance even when at a stand still (with the ignition on/off)

so im wondering if its the steering rack itself that has the movement in it? perhaps. The knuckle joint that is just about visible in the footwell is in direct contact with the steering wheel so I know the wheel etc isnt loose.

I plan on upgrading to JOM coilies but dont really want to do that untill I get the steering sorted. :o(