Tappet noise

JamesG

Looking for a bit of advice on a 1.4 16v ahw head problem.

I have a rattle/ticking coming from the top end of my engine i'm thinking it's the tappets that are needing replaced or at worse the cams/both.anybody had the same problem or could point me in the direction of a how to guide or any tips that i can read up on before i start striping the camcover and belts off it.

Cheers James

Edited by JamesG

Tappets are pretty standard over the 1.4 and 1.6 16v range, there al the same part and are about £4.50 each iirc.

They do over time coke up and loose there adjustment as they seize up. Could be the issue for you?

Sports do suffer from piston slap too iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same engine and, to be honest, it sounds like a flippin diesel. I don't have any problems with it though (apart from gunking up). So it might not actually be a problem - they're just noisy engines. I think the tappets are self-adjusting anyway, so not sure how much things would improve??

Looking for a bit of advice on a 1.4 16v ahw head problem.

I have a rattle/ticking coming from the top end of my engine i'm thinking it's the tappets that are needing replaced or at worse the cams/both.anybody had the same problem or could point me in the direction of a how to guide or any tips that i can read up on before i start striping the camcover and belts off it.

Cheers James

• Like 1

Hi James I have the same problem,took car to local garage advised me to replace all the hydraulic tappets,had the work done fitting new cam belts new oil and filter.Did'nt make any difference.Took it a Volkswagon Main Dealer and they advised not to worry,If like my Lupo,Its worse when you start cold and gets better as the engine warms up,Its the oil pressure filling the hydraulic tappets,If you rev your engine after starting,fairly high, the noise Will be quiter.So don't go spending loads of cash as I did.I have since talked to a golf owner who has the same noise for many years so don't worry just enjoy Your Fabulous little car. Banditbri

Tappets are pretty standard over the 1.4 and 1.6 16v range, there al the same part and are about £4.50 each iirc.

They do over time coke up and loose there adjustment as they seize up. Could be the issue for you?

Sports do suffer from piston slap too iirc.

How common is the piston slap? our engine sounds horrid when cold but better once you pick the revs up a little or when it is warm.

Cant make up my mind on whether is is poiston slap or the lifters....I havent had a VW since the MK1 gold and i thought the modern VW engine would be nice and quite....appears not to be the case!