New member - OpenAir owner

Bombcup

Hi all

I'm mostly an air-cooled fan but we need a nice comfy everyday motor so I gots this blue OpenAir 16v sport. I love it, especially the steering feel.

It's a bit of a sick puppy. As you know the engine is real top-endy and I seem to have ragged it somewhat. I got ECP(?) light on the dash and it will not rev when you first start the engine, but restart it and it runs albeit pretty rattly. The common clutch cable bracket went but I took the mechanic's advice and he re-welded it rather than replace it but it's now real heavy and on top of that 2nd gear is reluctant to engage though I'm not sure whether that's just the design of the gate, it just seems a few mm too far to the right to shift sweetly from first to me.

So you will learn over the course of future conversations that I am a lazy lovely person and thought the best way to deal with this miscellany of mechanical maladies is by chopping it in at a dealership (disclosing all the problems of course). Problem is that VAG don't really do anything comparable these days, so I went and tested a Panda 100hp. It was nowhere near as good as the Lupo. Dreadful low speed ride, zero body control at speed, naff cabin, not as quick and noisier. The only plus was the 6-speed box which is something I always thought the lupo lacked when it's doing 4000rpm at 75mph and pissing me right off on a long motorway schlep.

So I reckon I'm just gonna pay whatever it takes to sort it as there's nothing better on the market AFAIC. Then when all is well and I dare sell it privately I may upgrade to a GTi.

Anyway, that's me. Hello all.