im looking for a sub

Iv already got a sub/box but i want to replace the sub as its poo and keep the box. im on a tight budget so looking for a sub for around £60.

im not too fussed about really loud base just want the crystal clear sound quality more than anything, i know on this budget itl be hard to find but anyone got any sugestions that may help?

think the box holds a 10" sub.

Cheers,

Matt

Iv already got a sub/box but i want to replace the sub as its poo and keep the box. im on a tight budget so looking for a sub for around £60.

im not too fussed about really loud base just want the crystal clear sound quality more than anything, i know on this budget itl be hard to find but anyone got any sugestions that may help?

think the box holds a 10" sub.

Cheers,

Matt

iv got the 15" sony xpolde hexagon 1 n thats gd n i think there about that prce new, u cud prob get 1 cheaper on ebay. they also do it in the 12" n thats just as gd. even tho your not too fussed about the bass it does have alot of it. but i dont think you can go wrong with the vibe 1's n the jbl 1s are good enough for their price

No offence lodgey but if your after SQ id avoid sony like the plauge,

10" sub is best route for sq, but its not as simple as putting a sub in a box, sure it will work but to get best results you need to match it up correctly

Whats the capacity of the box and what frequency is it tuned to?

What amp will be powering the sub and what is the impedance it runs optimum power at 12 volts and what is the rms output at these levels.

I presume your cableing and charging system is ample (if a small amo you should have no issues on charging but you would be surprised how many people underestimate the cables and their role in the system)

What type of music do you listen to?

The rest of the system will also impact this...

Based upon this information you can determine which will be the best subwoofer for your needs/aplication

I hope this helps and if ur unsure drop me a pm...

:shades:

Edited by Icegeezer

No offence lodgey but if your after SQ id avoid sony like the plauge

Why? I always hear this and as far as I can tell its just a dislike of the brand, not their products.

I can't talk about their subs, but I've got a sony HU. Not only was it the best sounding unit for the money by a LONG SHOT, it was the best on paper too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a chavvy nob-end that loves crappy body kits, wheelspins between road bumps, and driving round council estates at 2am playing loud music, but I think is the brush Sony (and their users) have been tarred with in the ICE world.

10" sub is best route for sq, but its not as simple as putting a sub in a box, sure it will work but to get best results you need to match it up correctly

Whats the capacity of the box and what frequency is it tuned to?

What amp will be powering the sub and what is the impedance it runs optimum power at 12 volts and what is the rms output at these levels.

I presume your cableing and charging system is ample (if a small amo you should have no issues on charging but you would be surprised how many people underestimate the cables and their role in the system)

What type of music do you listen to?

Thanks for the advice every1.

im not totally sure what the capacity or frequency of the box is as a mate gave me it years ago. how can i find out?

the amp is a Kenwood KAC-744 which is 800w

theres a infinity sub on ebay that looks reasonable enough, really dont want distorted base that sound like farts!

Why? I always hear this and as far as I can tell its just a dislike of the brand, not their products.

I can't talk about their subs, but I've got a sony HU. Not only was it the best sounding unit for the money by a LONG SHOT, it was the best on paper too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a chavvy nob-end that loves crappy body kits, wheelspins between road bumps, and driving round council estates at 2am playing loud music, but I think is the brush Sony (and their users) have been tarred with in the ICE world.

Well I talk from experience, 14 years in the market for working for the biggest there are, and a stint with sony also, a lot of inderpendant reviews. dont get me wrong, im not saying they are crap, but there are nothing like most other brands when it comes to quality.

Again they have been tarred with a brush for a reason, a company/product does not get this retutation without good cause

Cheers

If you want Good audio id aviod sony all together,

theres a good FAO section on here that tells you the Good med and bad, audio, well though t out imo,m esp for a car fourm (non audio)

:)

ill find you a sub for that amp gimme a sec

errrrm that amp is a multi channel amp specs:

Max power output

4 Channel Mode 80w x 4

3 Channel Mode 80w x 2 + 160w

2 Channel Mode 160w x 2

RMS Output

4 Channel Mode 40w x 4

3 Channel Mode 40w x 2 + 110w

2 Channel Mode 110w x 2

(if im not mistaken any ways)

you should go to car audio direct they good guys

Edited by Scoff

Thanks for the advice every1.

im not totally sure what the capacity or frequency of the box is as a mate gave me it years ago. how can i find out?

the amp is a Kenwood KAC-744 which is 800w

theres a infinity sub on ebay that looks reasonable enough, really dont want distorted base that sound like farts!

Measure the box for me, or pm me a pics of the box I should be able to give you a rough guide.

ok the KAC-744 is the 4 channel IIRC so I would think about 100w rms over 2 of the 4 channels

what infinity sub are you looking at?

something like this from CAD would be good (but this is the 12" version)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/boston-acoustics-p-5456.html

or something like this

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/infinity-k...3se-p-3193.html

but your amp is a little shy to be honest.

you never did mention what sub you currently have and why you are not happy with it?

cheers

Heres some pics, i put a regular sized ruler in front to give u a rough idea. i just realised that the total diameter of the sub comes to 12" but thats including the rubber surrounding the cone. is it the inner cone itself that determins the sub size or the total diameter of sub?

Cheers

SSA58257.jpg

SSA58256.jpg

SSA58258.jpg

Heres some pics, i put a regular sized ruler in front to give u a rough idea. i just realised that the total diameter of the sub comes to 12" but thats including the rubber surrounding the cone. is it the inner cone itself that determins the sub size or the total diameter of sub?

Cheers

SSA58257.jpg

SSA58256.jpg

SSA58258.jpg

usually the cone size, it may not sound that great as the box might not be to spec for that sub...something i cant confirm but could be looked into...prob not much point changing the sub in my view as youl need a bit more power.youd be surprised at what a well designed box can do for you.have you got any info on the sub atall?

Hey dude

Ok honestly,

Its not a powerful amp, its an old skool sub but not that bad,

I would definatly say that you would be better off with a new box.

Much smaller as that box is too big for that sub

Ideally go for something between .75-1 cubic but have a sealed box, it will take a little more power to drive but it will sound a lot better imo

again have a look on CAD maybe look at the links i posted above and hook up a new box too, then you caqn sell this sub/box on egay...

HTH

Also try to have the sub driving into the boot *driving towards the left) rather than the back seat or soo close to the boot lid, this will make a huge diff too....

Thanks again for comments, very helpful. i thought it might have been a case of just swaping the sub tho but spose nothing is ever that simple!

if ur buying a prefab box make sure it fits as they can be a tight fit iv got a .75 see you facing the seats and i have the seat on the second notch if you know what i mean...

whats your budget?or are you gonna try the box first then decide if you want a new sub, you can get good value sub and amp packs for a litlle over £100 if that is of any use...

if ur buying a prefab box make sure it fits as they can be a tight fit iv got a .75 see you facing the seats and i have the seat on the second notch if you know what i mean...

whats your budget?or are you gonna try the box first then decide if you want a new sub, you can get good value sub and amp packs for a litlle over £100 if that is of any use...

Thats the thing, only really wanna spend 60 squid max. Thats y i was thinkin if i cud just get away with getting a better sub and installing it into my existing box it might still make a difference.

so i take it the box iv already got is pretty poor? or could i not just get a sub to match my box?

Thats the thing, only really wanna spend 60 squid max. Thats y i was thinkin if i cud just get away with getting a better sub and installing it into my existing box it might still make a difference.

so i take it the box iv already got is pretty poor? or could i not just get a sub to match my box?

its not a poor box it probably just isnt to spec for the sub which is why it may not sound good.if you were looking at a infinity how about one of these instead?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JBL-GT4-12-CAR-SUBWO...1QQcmdZViewItem

i had one running off 150wattsrms in my first car and it sounded great plus it has a box, always been a highly rated sub for the money and quite efficient, dont think they need alot of power...would just need to make sure the box would fit before buying.

you would be looking at about £25/30 for a prefab box if u werent gonna make one yourself so might aswell pay the little extra and get a free sub lol

oh and recomended sealed enclosure is 1cuft

Edited by mcbeal_88

ok, cheers every1,

If i measured my current sub box tonight and posted the measurements up would some one be able to recommend me a sub to match it?

yeh measure in inches and il work its cuft from there, if you could measure the port diameter and length also would be great...

Ah the classic GT4 sub, a future classic, made by harman so is pretty much an infinity anyhow,

Right what I would reccomend is the box,

Like said above a sealed box would do the trick best, between .75-1 cube

if you make it yourself you can save some cash and then get a sub a little later, either way good luck

post up the dims and we can work out a box for ya..

cheers

Ok, i measured the box....

it has a 10" sub

the height of box is 13"

Width is 16"

Depth at base of the box is 15" and slopes to a depth of 11" at the top of the box

hope this is clear enough?

Ok, i measured the box....

it has a 10" sub

the height of box is 13"

Width is 16"

Depth at base of the box is 15" and slopes to a depth of 11" at the top of the box

hope this is clear enough?

Right

assuming your post is 3" and 6" long

Your box will be around 1.1 cubic and based upon this port tuned to around 48-50 hz

with ur sub you shud have an internal capacity of about .95-1 cube

So, is the box too big?? yes id say a little, post too small, well to be tuned this low with this sub id say definatly (based upon my port size being right lol)

so what to do....

well, what is the sub designed to be tuned to? need the model number....

I think the biggest problem will be the amp in the scheme of things, just not enought grunt, great to power fronts and rears, but i think ud do well to upgrade to a 2 channel or mono block,

Im here if you need any more help...

thanks for your help m8, much appreciated.

my mates just given me a Rockford fostgate punch sub and box which i put in today.

its a 12" sub but doesnt seem to make alot of diff from my old sub which is wierd. i think i may just be expecting too much as i really want that clear sharp sound rather than the deep distorted base but i guess you need to pay alot for that sort of system.

nope, a smaller box and a more powerful amp...

change these things and you will see a big diff...

Good luck tho, if u need any help im only in peterborough, feel free to pop in anytime