loss of mpg 1.7sdi 2000

Evil Ohmer

Hi folks,

after almost 2 years, the hulks playing up. Its been my daily runabout n until recently has been averaging 60 to the gallon, the last month tho this has dropped to about 30 if im lucky, its been serviced every 9k and as soon as this happened i changed the fuel and air filter, changed the oil n filter too but no difference. I have noticed little bubbles running thru the clear fuel pipe both before and after the fuel filter change, is this normal? It possibly feels sluggish but in comparison to my passat, thats always been the case and i have run injector cleaner thru it every service too.

Any ideas as its death at the pump right now

Cheers

Evil

fair question and no, i also checked the injector unions and replaced the wee braided pipes that go between the injectors too.

the passat is know for having issues with its maf, is this applicable on the lupo?

Air in the diesel lines, good times.

It's an SDI so any suggestions of bleeding the system should be ignored, if it was anything like that it'd clear itself up.

Basically you have a pinhole leak in a line somewhere and it's sucking in air. I had this on a mk2 TDI I made and I ended up replacing the fuel lines front to rear, sorted it out though. Anything's better than 'fizzy diesel'.

Another suggestion would be using a Rover diesel filter which eliminates the need for a return pipe through the filter. (can't remember the model)

cheers dude, not too sore then! Is that the reason for the drop in mpg or is it just another headache?

Edited by Evil Ohmer

It's not getting enough derv so it wants more derv so it chucks in more but there's air as well so it's just turning out to be a big underpowered overfuelling mess.

• 2 weeks later...