My Red Gti

AlexS

I ve had it since August, its a 2001 Y, 5 speed, 36k, its reasonably mint but im not finished yet.

Only modifications so far are my private plate, a shorter aerial and some lockwood stainless sill protecters and maybe a BMC soon.

hpim0271zz3.jpg

hpim0283hx8.jpg

hpim0289qo4.jpg

hpim0300hr3.jpg

After 9hrs with the porter cable, still not finished.

hpim1199ay8.jpg

11112007009ny0.jpg

Cheers guys for the responce.

I was very nervous with the Porter Cable to start with, I just took my time, was very careful and used my common sense. To be honest you could hold it flat out on the bonnet for an hour and it wouldn't burn through the paint. I found the VW paint incredibly hard compared to my friends Clio 182 which is so easy to correct. I did manage to correct a number of swirls on the Lupo but I spent a good 4 hours on the bonnet alone. I don't know if anyones into detailing on here but I was using the sonus products, im going to try the stronger Menz intensive polishes on it next as I would like it perfect!

Agree with you on the colour, I had to have a red one!

@ EaRNi they are Volkswagen racing badges as per R32, they were on there when I bought it and I haven't got round to taking them off, they've grown on me too. I bought the car off here back in August, it really is a credit to its previous owner.

any more pictures after detailing? seems a shame not to show off your handy work!

ive got really interested in detailing recently, i would love to do a full on detail - but to be honest i havent got the confidence in my own ability, nor have i got all the gubbins for doing a nice job..... maybe i should just stick to reading about other peoples work! :lol:

:)

any more pictures after detailing? seems a shame not to show off your handy work!

ive got really interested in detailing recently, i would love to do a full on detail - but to be honest i havent got the confidence in my own ability, nor have i got all the gubbins for doing a nice job..... maybe i should just stick to reading about other peoples work! :lol:

:)

The only picture really is the one in the dark, and as you can see I hadn't even done the wheels, I started at 9am that morning and finished at 8pm, Im lucky enough to have the use of a garage so that made it abit easier, I will get some pictures up when i ve done it again in a few weeks.

Its something that has only really interested me since I got the Lupo, my past cars I have cleaned and polished regularly but never really got into it, its certainly very satisfying, the car maintains the look for longer and it protects the paint.

Below I will give a quick list of the processes I used, im am only a beginner though and all of this was advice I obtained off detailing world etc.

I will admit the gubbins is the expenisve bit, but as to your own ability im the most clumsy impractical person in the world and I soon got the hang of it!

1. I hosed the car off to get rid of any loose debree.

2. Washed using two bucket method as per normal, sheep skin wash mitt.

3. Clayed using Meguiars clay and quick detailer as a lubricant.

4. Washed again using 2 bucket method, dryed off with microfibres.

5. Porter cabled using sonus sfx2 pad and polish, In found this was having little effect so I moved straight onto the sonus sfx1 pad and polish, I just kept at it on each panel until there was a noticeable correction. Bonnet took a couple of hours, artificial light helped spot the pesky swirls.

6. I then applied autoglym SRP as a final finish polish again using the porter cable.

7. I finished off by applying so Meguiars liquid carnauba wax by hand.

I didn't get a chance to glass polish the windows.

I would quite like to get all the wheels off and do the inside of the arches and the wheels themselves at some point, I need to buy a trolley jack and axle stands.

In terms of maintaining your own car you don't need to go all out and buy a porter cable, I would just begin by carefully washing, giving it a clay then hand applying SRP and wax for protection, that should give it a very good appearence, a lasting protection and won't break the bank. It won't correct any scratches though.

cool, il look forward to the pictures!

yeah thats the thing with mine, it does have light scratches.

i use zymol, and its a really good bit of kit! but those let it down in my opinion. also i havent got a garage (at the mo!) so that hinders progress.

i will give it a go one day, im not sure when though!

do you have the gadget that messures the thickness of paint? i would feel quite reluctant do use any real abraise stuff without knowing. is it even necasary?

:shades:

cool, il look forward to the pictures!

yeah thats the thing with mine, it does have light scratches.

i use zymol, and its a really good bit of kit! but those let it down in my opinion. also i havent got a garage (at the mo!) so that hinders progress.

i will give it a go one day, im not sure when though!

do you have the gadget that messures the thickness of paint? i would feel quite reluctant do use any real abraise stuff without knowing. is it even necasary?

:shades:

It takes some real working to get the light scratches out but its very satisfying when you do remove them. The VW paint really is very hard though so it takes some patience. Zymol is really good stuff, like you say its all a matter of finding time to do it.

Nope, I haven't got a gadget, I was of the same opinion as you but I think you would need a rotary polisher and some really coarse polish to do any damage, the porter cable really is quite fool proof. I was doing the same spot on the bonnet for a good 25mins using the strongest sonus stuff and neither the pad nor the paint was even warm. Alot of the top detailers have them but I don't have the time or the money to invest in one and I think once you get to that stage its a slippery slope to becoming a proper closet geektailer!

Good stuff! I'm quite into my detailing. I do a bit in my spare time for people locally. Here's a link to some of my Work.

I'm currently using the PC too and its a cracking bit of kit, although I'm on the lookout for a rotary. I would definitely recommend getting some Menzera mate. Its really good stuff, and the 085rd 3.02 (a medium cut) will really help with swirl removal but breaks down in such a way that you can actually skip the polish stage if needs be and go straight to a sealant/wax. May I also recommend Chemical Guys Jetseal109 when you're ordering stuff next. :shades:

Good stuff! I'm quite into my detailing. I do a bit in my spare time for people locally. Here's a link to some of my Work.

I'm currently using the PC too and its a cracking bit of kit, although I'm on the lookout for a rotary. I would definitely recommend getting some Menzera mate. Its really good stuff, and the 085rd 3.02 (a medium cut) will really help with swirl removal but breaks down in such a way that you can actually skip the polish stage if needs be and go straight to a sealant/wax. May I also recommend Chemical Guys Jetseal109 when you're ordering stuff next. :shades:

I was hoping you would be along in a minute! Seeing some of your work on PH a while ago was what persuaded me to buy the PC! Its all your fault! I ve got the Menz stuff on order, i ve been meaning to try some of the Chemical guys products anyway its just so easy to get carried away though!

Im assuming you've done a correction on your Lupo? Is it just me or is VAG paint particularly hard?

Alex

Haha, sorry! Its a big slippery downhill slope from here on too. The more you clean the more you find to clean.

Yeah it's really hard. I've done the lupo but didnt bother with a full correction to remove every mark as you can't really see swirls in the silver anyway. It's always immaculate though.

Haha, sorry! Its a big slippery downhill slope from here on too. The more you clean the more you find to clean.

Yeah it's really hard. I've done the lupo but didnt bother with a full correction to remove every mark as you can't really see swirls in the silver anyway. It's always immaculate though.

Fair enough, I know what you mean though, im now looking at foam lances etc they look fun! Its a very satisfying hobby anyway and its good to be out in the fresh air, a 9hr session with the pc certainly wears you out, I made the mistake of going on a night out straight afterwards skipping dinner, I have never been so blitzed in my entire life :P

Quality! I've done it a couple of times after I've been detailing too. Does make for an "interesting" night! :lol:

I fancy a lance too, but not sure i want to be faffing with connecting the pressurewasher etc up, when i want to give it a quick wash. I want all the foam though... :rolleyes:

A proper Karcher lance is nearly £50, whereas a superspray is just under a tenner, like you say a superspray goes straight on the hose, arguably if your using the same solution I expect you get similar results, although apparently by connecting it to the jet wash you get more snow!

H-P it sure is a faff getting all the jet wash out but think of the fun you could have.

Edited by AlexS