VW Lupo LED tail lights

DjL

I everyone!

This forum is very good!

This is my question:

I'm looking for LED taillights for VW Lupo.

I found the ones by Hella but I don't like their style and the need to be painted the same color of the car.

So I was wandering if it is possible to buy only the LED light (not the whole tail light!), open my normal tail light, and change the normal light (I mean the stop/position light, and maybe the turn light) with the LED module.

So this module could even be white (instead of red), because the red color will be given by the plastic cover of the normal tail light module.

Is on sale such a LED module light for this purpose?

Is it possible to make what I've described?

If so, will I need any adapter for current/voltage of LED lights or it is inside the module itself?

Thank you everybody,

Ciao!

Its not possable to open up the rear lights, but if you take off the lamp, and remove the lamp holder from the back of the lense, you could possably build something onto this, so the LEDs are in the same location as the stock lamp bulbs.

Thank you both for your very fast answers!!!

Thank you Tigz for your explanations, the important is to change the stop lights!

Thank you snoopstah, you centered what I need!

In fact mine is mainly a safety matter, so the important for me is to get a lower turn-on time typical of the leds.

I saw there are a lot of lexus-style transparent led tail lights for a lot of cars but vw lupo!

So I'm going to buy this cluster of led in substitution of the normal stop-light bulb!

So I would get you another question:

Is it possible to mount on a normal Lupo 1.0 the xenon lights of the Lupo GTI?

I mean, maybe going to my vw store and asking them the xenon module of GTI, or making them mount it on my car!

Thank you again a lot!

Its possable but it very expencive to do it legally.

The indicators are in the headlamps.

So side lights need mounting where the indicators are now.

You need headlight ajustment and washer jets to get through MOT.

Other than that yes it can be one!

VW wouldn't do it though.

It can be done, but it's very expensive indeed - something like £400 for each side of the car! You would be better trying to find some on eBay maybe.

In addition, you would also have to find some way of adding sidelights.

On the normal lupo, the outer large headlight does high beam, main beam and sidelights, and the inner one does indicator.

On the GTI lupo, the outer large headlight does high beam, main beam and indicators, and the inner one does high beam and side lights.

This means if you just changed the outer lights to be Xenons, you would have no sidelights. Sadly, you can't also swap the inner lights between the GTI Lupo and normal Lupo as they are bigger on the GTI.

You need headlight ajustment and washer jets to get through MOT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think he's in the UK. Also, neither of those things are checked at MOT time, although without them the lights would technically be illegal in the UK.

DjL, it is worth checking to see what the laws are in your country regarding xenon headlights - if you need washer jets or automatic levelling, it's even more work - probably cheaper to sell your Lupo and buy a GTI smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think the way the law on hids works like this,

If the car comes from NEW with Xenon headlamps then it MUST be fitted with auto headlamp adjusters and headlamp washers.

However, if the Xenon units are retro-fitted afterwards then this does not apply.

Therfore for a legal Xenon conversion you will need a kit which has E-Approved ballasts, and E-Approved bulbs.

A good source of Hids is this place - www.hids4u.co.uk

Lee.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm from Italy, where almost each form of tuning/styling is forbidden!!!!

Even improving the lights is illegal!

Consider that police can retire my car if after a check it is not original as it was made!

But, in effect, a lot of people here goes around with blue led in the front lights and police pretend not to see them!

But if they check you it's a big trouble!

The italian law for xenon lights says that this kind of lights MUST have washing jets and autoleveling, and it's strictly forbidden to add (in a second time) xenon lights kit to cars born without this optional.

They are very severe against the ones who mount xenon kits, so I wandered if mounting legal xenon lights (for they're original vw on the GTI version) would be legal!

But being to much expensive and complicated (for the different position of the single lights between standard lupo and GTI version), I think I'll get only the back led clusters and maybe a GTI whenever I'll have some money!

Thanx!

I think the way the law on hids works like this,

If the car comes from NEW with Xenon headlamps then it MUST be fitted with auto headlamp adjusters and headlamp washers.

However, if the Xenon units are retro-fitted afterwards then this does not apply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, to the letter of the law, xenon/HID lights are illegal in the UK. Full stop. However, because we're part of the EU, you can legally drive a car with European approval regulations, which means that cars which come with HID lights as standard are legal.

To get over this legal loophole, the DoT have said that aftermarket HID kits are legal as long as they comply with the same European approval regulations - i.e washer jets and self-levelling capability.

Letter from the DoT:

Dear Sir,

The situation for Gas Discharge (HID High Intensity Discharge) (commonly known as Xenon) headlamps is complex.

I attach links to the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 which regulate the situation in the UK.

Under these Regulations Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However you will be well aware that new vehicles have Xenon headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the Xenon headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "Xenon is banned in the aftermarket" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require Xenon in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a Xenon headlamp sold in the aftermarket should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.