Engine swap on a 1.7 sdi

harv2175

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing down the line...

But not from a mk3, a mk4 PDI 150.

As far as I know, there are only two ways of doing the wiring, if you want to run a proper fuelling scheme (as in a proper Bosch/VW map).

1. Completely transplant the engine and related wiring from a donor car.

2. Grab only the engine and throttle wiring loom (and a few related bits), and get someone to 'switch off' all the unused sections of software using VAGCOM (or something).

If you want to run your own map, get a 3rd party ECU and wire it up. I've done this for a petrol car, but never for a diesel.

You will want to have a working dash (rev counter, temp gauge, speedo)- that causes headaches.

I shall watch this thread with interest! :)

How did you fit your engine to your car. Did you modify the lupo subframe to suit the new engine mounting points ? any other issues you came across I would be greatly received any information

My engine is a 1Z mk3 golf tdi 130 bhp from a 1996 on p reg

Edited by harv2175

You all want to know more, I should charge for consultancy.

If I was putting a mk3 golf engine in the car, I'd simplify down to early 6n wiring which is '90 spec' like a later golf mk2 and all the golf mk3's.

Then I could use a mk1 arosa dash and the mk3 clocks would fit and everything electrical would be easy.

If I was going to fit a pd diesel into a Lupo SDI I would simply leave the internal loom as is and then I'd use a lupo tdi wiring loom which is sufficient to run a pd engine in a lupo and get that converted to run a pd150.

(I have a 6n2 tdi wiring loom kicking about from a project a few years back which I would happily fence on if you wanted to strip the engine aspect from it ?)

If I was going to fit a pd diesel into a Lupo SDI I would simply leave the internal loom as is and then I'd use a lupo tdi wiring loom which is sufficient to run a pd engine in a lupo and get that converted to run a pd150.

How can you do that when the ECU and fuelling/timing map is completely different? That is the biggest problem. The 1.4TDI engine program and wiring are quite a bit different to the 1.9PDI. There are a lot of similarities (you're right), but if you got the engine started (if you could), the fuelling, timing and all the controls would be completely out. AND 3cyl compared to 4cyl... Even with an injector emulator box it'd be nigh on impossible come to think of it.

As soon as you swap to the right PDI ECU, you'd need the loom from the original PDI donor car, and you'll need to switch everything off in software or the ECU would lock you out. I've done it on a mk4 and that was very difficult, especially using the right dash. We even had to swap the dash over in the end, since the engine signals were different from the original SDI we started with. It's a major project.

• 1 month later...

Agreed, been mulling it over since I read a thread in which someone had put a TDi in a Corrado...

I've built a TDI Rado before, pretty easy.

Only real piece of fun is making the bulkhead a bit higher so the potentiometer sits atop of the passat 1z pedalbox as it should.

Every other part is boring.

I've built a TDI Rado before, pretty easy.

Only real piece of fun is making the bulkhead a bit higher so the potentiometer sits atop of the passat 1z pedalbox as it should.

Every other part is boring.

Agreed. The conversion to 4WD is more interesting though (the back bit and fuel tank). And then there's the 4WD and a 3.6FSI... but that lump is just too damned heavy.

Me wonders if it might be worth putting together a conversion 'kit'. Get a 1.9 lump, plug in the kit and away you go. Just select the 1.9 flavor.