My Custom Painted RatRod Style Arosa TDI

mad-modz

Hi Guys,

Well where do i start?!... hmm maybe a few pics lol!!

m0H3xS.jpg

b06qQV.jpg

My car started out as a standard arosa TDi, and then went on to be a ultra clean and slightly modified version... However after a few beers, things began to change, as i had the idea of rusting my car... I looked around for a few weeks, and could only find one chap who could supply me with an overpriced epoxy based kit, which upon testing reacted and cracked as it dried really brittle.

I still wanted the look, after seeing some great ratted cars at the shelsley walsh retrorides gathering ..... After a few more drinks, lots of experiments with different paints and chemicals, i made a flexible paint which could be applied directly to any surface, and would give me a real rust finish, without the worry about MOT or rot!

So the next stage was to get my car painted :D

This was done at retropower HQ on a saturday, and my first spray attempt (dont worry, im not the spray guy, normally i wouldn't be allowed to go near anything bar a paint can haha).

Prep was done at home the night before, literally a quick scuff / key with a load of sandpaper & DA

BdYxXK.jpg

Rbn0oM.jpg

01LpXf.jpg

The car was then driven over to work to proceed with the paintjob :D

I did have no rear bumper, as i seized the opportunity to fit a custom smoothed lupo rear bumper to my arosa :D

2OW5Y9.jpg

av7FKN.jpg

With it in the booth, it was time to clean the car down and mask everything up... This was done under the watchful eye of Gaz (the sprayer)... between somewhere of starting the masking and finishing, a biro p*nis ended up on the rear window haha

6vCg6c.jpg

gVyjzr.jpg

Lc1bWQ.jpg

lJhVbG.jpg

Once it was ready, it was time to fire up the booth and attempt spraying for the first time haha! I could have painted it with a roller or brush, but as i had the opportunity i thought i would give it a proper go in a professional booth.

Well, painting..... its not as easy as it looks haha!

I had no problems laying my paint down, in fact no problems at all... but damn it was hard as i kept rubbing the car with the airline, and generally leaning over wet parts haha! Other than the paint operator (me), the paint went on perfect, and 2.5 litres of it later i was left with this,,,

J4odOJ.jpg

mMThYp.jpg

k5Hz0A.jpg

I then drove home, and began messing with it again haha! I couldn't resist sanding it back to expose the metal particles in the paint.. so gave it a rub over with some 100 grit wet & dry...

L2ntFV.jpg

It gave me a pretty cool flat colour, however before i could get rusting i needed to sort some hot-rod style door adverts... As vinyl wouldn't stick to the rusting paintwork longterm, i needed to actually paint on the advert. So before exposing the car to any water, i needed to get my doors painted...

I cheated a little, and rather than getting someone to pinstripe the door, i had some custom stencils made up.... (thanks aircooled apparel)...

dqfWuN.jpg

MuKLd0.jpg

These were applied onto the car, and paint was then dusted over. I wanted it to look weathered, so chose to paint the stencils using a bright and off white...

06BzWZ.jpg

CAutD1.jpg

DSelxE.jpg

Then came the fun job of removing all the bloody vinyl off the car..... absolute nightmare of a job!

B0lTOY.jpg

MqVJB2.jpg

With my stencils done, it was time to expose the car to the good old british weather...

o09OHC.jpg

GlBAT3.jpg

After a few days, the rust started to appear....

Naz9hd.jpg

feFbNp.jpg

I then decided to buy some contrasting blingy wheels... Mainly due to seeing chrome works well against rust in the oldschool hotrod scene...
URTO3c.jpg
PCfmFb.jpg
With the wheels and tyres sorted, i put them on the car, and well happy with the outcome!
esmj3Q.jpg
giZAo7.jpg
pDkJsf.jpg
vONEEA.jpg
bYkzKe.jpg
uiZ8gC.jpg
XbqQyM.jpg
AmrpVb.jpg
CjdOH0.jpg
eCmEND.jpg
ExRFoh.jpg

Im now working on a few other bits while the car starts to fully rust... Ive made and rusted a custom MDF sub box (1000w RMS sub), again a nice blingy one to contrast the rust lol
Sco2QR.jpg
2ul7Bs.jpg
zz3tSf.jpg
2IeeKZ.jpg
1zIlkb.jpg
FbIaWS.jpg
Im now trying to source a roof rack for it (nice retro looking one), and then work out what my next step should be :D
VuyRr6.jpg
Any Ideas?