Cambelt on SDI. What a horrid job!

mk2

pete, you know nothing. you tradesmen that have done this for years! useless...

Raymondo the Royal Marine could change it with a penknife and some string (the string would come from his pants)

So I appear to be told! Never mind, I'll let these internet gurus destroy my delicate shell and scamper off, but yeah, when it comes to anything worthwhile, ray is your man, although I'm not sure the nerds on the tent forums would be very happy with the procedure he uses for tent erection.

Well if you know what you are doing then I'd expect you not to pay a garage to do the job anyway, surely that's the biggest false economy ever, getting someone else to do a job you're capable of doing yourself.

It depends on WHY you became capable of doing the job yourself!

RAB

That's irrelevant, if you know how to do something then surely you'd do it yourself no matter what the motive was for you learning how to do it originally.

We're now going into the philosophy behind DIY or GSI (get someone in). :rolleyes:

In my business, I love to get stuck in, but my accountant keeps telling me that everytime I do stuff I know how to do, I should still hand over to a lesser being as I am effectively losing money by not earning it. I can pay someone less than I earn, so the difference is loss (I don't earn much to start with!). But I tell him that I do actually enjoy getting my soft velvet hands mucky every now and then... It's boring creating fluid flow modelling for induction systems on a CAD system everyday.

Imagine Ray on a tent forum! that would be like a cyclist in here! His username would be GO****YOURTENTS-BIVVYMAN!

Im on the wavelength that if you can do something, do it... if you cant, don't.

why does it matter "WHY"?

and what is RAB? sounds like some strange nightclub where people dance around to silent music whilst wearing PVC (I only know because Rich once sent me pictures)

I'm not sure I understand what you said mk2, can you explain it a bit differently?

There's so much tongue in cheek in this thread I don't know if you're taking the pith.... :huh:

In a nutshell- if you know how to do something, it doesn't mean you should do it. If you can earn more money per hour doing something that pays well, it makes more sense to hand over the lower costing job to someone else. So at the end of the day you end up with more money in your pocket. If you enjoy doing what you know then everything I said is **** :surprised: At least this is what my accountant keeps drilling into me. He always uses the analagy of a banker- who can earn £300 an hour. The banker also knows how to fix cars perfectly. It costs the banker £45 an hour to pay a mechanic to work on his car, he is still making money. If he works on his car, he is actually losing more than it costs to fix it... At least I think it goes something like that.

Oh, and every time I read RAB, I see it as Regulus Arcturus Black from Harry Potter........ Sorry RAB :)

Oh ok, so you mean if you either have to take the day off work to do summat that would cost less than what you lose on a days wage then that would be ok, that's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure, but I agree. Not sure how to take the lesser being comment tho, although I have a good friend who's job is related entirely with CAD, and he thinks he's god's gift also.

I get the concept of what you're saying.

It's like when I buy a car, I could travel all day to pick it up and have an adventure but instead I go to work and do x numbers of hours at y per hour because B (X x Y = B) is higher than F

F = the amount I have to pay some pikey to go get said car and bring it to me.

Rab = Scottish Rob.

Rab = quality mountaineering clothing; especially down insulation

I just flash a plastic card at a machine and hey presto; my cam belt is changed