Cambelt on SDI. What a horrid job!

mk2

So, what's the symptoms when driving a Pd engine which has had the cam timing disturbed?

That is something I can answer... :)

Symptoms are the same as when the ignition timing is wrong on a petrol car. If it's too advanced, you get a nasty knocking/pinking sound (the classic rattly tractor sound which runs on nasty red diesel)- louder if it's really advanced. If it's too late, the engine is super smooth, a bit tricky to start and not as fuel efficient. Engines do last longer when running a degree or so late, but you lose out on efficiency. Big truck and marine engines always run late because long life is more important than efficiency. You can adjust the injection timing on a non-PDI engine by rotating the entire fuel injection pump as well...

But the knocking symptoms can also happen if you have too much EGR when cold, because some unburnt fuel gets around the system and pre-ignites before TDC. Have a read about 'cetane rating' and it explains all. Piston descent velocity compared to flame front velocity.... You want them to be about the same for good torque, power and efficiency. Think of a bicycle pedal/crank. You get the most push when the pedal/crank is horizontal. Same in an engine- you want peak gas pressure when at horizontal crank.

• 4 years later...

Bringing this back to life.

Had had quotes from £350 - £500 to replace the belts.

On a car i bought for £400 i just cant justify it, so does anybody want to help me do it?

1.7 SDI woop woop.

Never done a cambelt before but handy enough with spanners, have axle stands,jacks,tools etc 

just need guidance from someone who has dealt with these engines before.

Also, i am getting VCDS lite so i can check the timing.

~Money and or beer can exchange hands :)

*Serious Request*

I need to reload all those damned pics on the how-to. It's not that hard.

Most difficult bit is loosening off the crank pulley and bolts. I have two of my SDIs to do in the next few months.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:11 PM, mk2 said:

I need to reload all those damned pics on the how-to. It's not that hard.

Most difficult bit is loosening off the crank pulley and bolts. I have two of my SDIs to do in the next few months.

That would be helpful. 

I think my belts are starting to sqreech. 

If you gonna do your belts I'd love to learn from you

• 2 weeks later...

Always busy... I need 36h days. 24 is just not enough! I will try and upload all the how-to pics again tomorrow night. Just collecting all the bits for one of the SDI cam belt changes this week. If no rain and I could be bothered, it's saturday AM to do it. Next one around xmas probably. Sigh...

19 hours ago, mk2 said:

Always busy... I need 36h days. 24 is just not enough! I will try and upload all the how-to pics again tomorrow night. Just collecting all the bits for one of the SDI cam belt changes this week. If no rain and I could be bothered, it's saturday AM to do it. Next one around xmas probably. Sigh...

Can you post up some links where to buy and stuff.

i want to give this a go with your help ofcourse :)