Double din p.c

Instead of building a PC why not use an andriod? Much smaller and will be better integrated into the car IMO.

Although andriod is crap. :tongueout: Skezza.

bunny.gif

haha :P well they don't do Apple ones so Android remains king.

In all seriousness, Dblock raises a good point. Those Android car units are cheaper than they've ever been and most are dual or even quad core. You have instant access to over a million apps. They have CD player, plus all the standard features you get with a double din, SD card, sat nav, Bluetooth. Most importantly, you get an interface optimized for touch, which only applies to Windows 8.

Alternatively, you could go left field and install an iPad mini or Nexus 7. I'm pretty sure they're the correct size give or take a couple of mm. The iPad you'd need to run the audio from the headphone jack into an amp. The Nexus, you can do that or you run audio via the GPIO pins to a DAC for significantly better audio quality.

All of those options are in the realms of possibility. The hardest being the tablet install, the easiest being the unit.

• Like 1

iPad Mini's are a little over double din, but will fit with a touch of fettling. Take power from the fag lighter. Not sure how you'll manage volume control if mounting behind the panel though.

Software volume controls. I assume they exist on iOS? On Android, what with it's wonders of being open source, you can do pretty much everything. Most who have done tablet installs have placed a floating volume control that goes transparent. Works very well.

Alternatively, you could go serious hax0r and install some hardware controls. Boom. Would love to see that!

Skezza. What do you do day to day?

I'm a software engineer. I usually work low level primarily GPU driver's, API's and hardware abstraction layers.

I have dabbled in high level stuff too. Just not as much.

Why?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm ok will get parts and need to find me a p.c engineer

If you want, I'm happy to help you wire it and what not. You don't really need a 'PC engineer' (new term that is) you just need some simple electrical knowledge to get it into the car and an understanding of how it goes together.

It really isn't that hard though pal.

Alternatively, buy an already built unit and then upgrade the hardware :)

Your doing this in the wrong order. Figure out the size of case you want first. Then work out how big your psu will be. Then get all your components.

Normally id say spec it up first and then chose psu to suit but I don't know if there is a limit on his big you can have a psu.

Go for lower power stuff or laptop stuff if you can. Generally intels are a lot more efficient ATM.

Your doing this in the wrong order. Figure out the size of case you want first. Then work out how big your psu will be. Then get all your components.

Normally id say spec it up first and then chose psu to suit but I don't know if there is a limit on his big you can have a psu.

Go for lower power stuff or laptop stuff if you can. Generally intels are a lot more efficient ATM.

AMD?

AMD?

At the moment. I wouldn't get an amd for a car.

AMD's atm are power hungry and throwing clock speed and cores at their efficiency problem. Bull dozer and pile driver architecture its in the name lol.

Now don't get me wrong AMD's make good cpu's. I have a Kaveri in my pc due to me not wanting to have a graphics card but on a benchtest my ancient i3 2120 can keep up and doesn't need any real cooling. The a10 runs hotter. True the a10 has double the cores and a more powerful apu but still the i3 is fast and cool. Takes less power and speed step IMO works better than cool n quiet.

Edited by Dblock

I have came up with another solution for me and I'm not sure if it may work.

Buy a DVDs dab CD player with Bluetooth capabilities so I can connect iPad to it? Put iPad on a arm or something where the empty space under the CD player is put a amplifier for control of the unit? Band sound system

I have came up with another solution for me and I'm not sure if it may work.Buy a DVDs dab CD player with Bluetooth capabilities so I can connect iPad to it? Put iPad on a arm or something where the empty space under the CD player is put a amplifier for control of the unit? Band sound system

It's been done yep :)

I have came up with another solution for me and I'm not sure if it may work. Buy a DVDs dab CD player with Bluetooth capabilities so I can connect iPad to it? Put iPad on a arm or something where the empty space under the CD player is put a amplifier for control of the unit? Band sound system

Welcome to post 5.