What Battery

For a 1.4 16v with 75hp? I'm thinking that the one existing has been replaced a while ago, but the specs on it say 55Ah - nowhere I searched under my engine, this type of battery isn't recommended.

Help?

I knew i wouldn't make it this winter and the inevitable happened this morning, car didn't start only after the 3rd try.

Carparts4less use the code: saveme75 you'll get some money off.

I've installed an Exide and I'm very happy. No health indicator on it though!

I believe the spec for 1.4 75hp is "027"

Bought this cheap one, works fine:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Lupo_1.4_2001/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770271&1&fd51c4bab022b608999b4fcf6f169d179f6df1e7&000020

Personally I think the battery is overspecced and you could get away with less.

I believe the spec for 1.4 75hp is "027"

Bought this cheap one, works fine:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Lupo_1.4_2001/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770271&1&fd51c4bab022b608999b4fcf6f169d179f6df1e7&000020

Personally I think the battery is overspecced and you could get away with less.

I'd be nervous about Lion. Not that I have any problem with unheard of manufacturers, cheap batteries can die within 3 years, whereas a good Varta will last for if treated right. I've taken a risk and gone for Exide. They have a great reputation but they're still on the cheap side.

When I replaced my battery the old was the original OEM Varta, which is one of the reasons I think they are overspecced for that particular engine, a 13 year old battery wouldn't be meeting the supposed spec for CCA. 60A is the spec of the 027 battery.

I don't know anything about Lion either, but I was limited in my choice to what was in stock and the 3 year warranty was better value for money than the bosch or vartas which only had 4 or 5 year warranties but were a lot more expensive. On a 13 year car they might all outlast the car anyway :)

Most OEM VW batteries are made by Varta, but we also have some made by Exide. All VW branded batteries come with a 3 year warranty.

I have a Bosch Silver 61ah on my gti which I only changed recently, so again 11 years on a battery is good going. I only have the Bosch as I got it ridiculously cheap when our accessories shop closed down about 4 years ago! Quick charge and a drop test revealed it to be in good health, so fitted it and its been fine so far.....!

• Like 2