Just bought a cheap Lupo SDI but........

MAZI

Just bought a cheap Lupo SDI. Couple of issues but one in particular.

The engine seems really noisy inside the cabin at idle. Idle speed is normal and its not noisy or rough when you hear it outside or open the bonnet.

I was thinking might be engine mount or exhaust fouling the underside causing viberation.

Any ideas??

Sdi's tend to be agricultural anyway and as a side effect engine mounts wear the idle gets more intense.

I put a tutorial up how to alter the tickover. It's computer controlled as you can imagine. This is the cheap easy way of sorting it.

Edited by Skezza

Engine mount done but still a bit loud and viberational (is that even a word LOL)

Its a lot better than before. Dont have another Lupo SDI to compare with to judge what is normal.

They don't have DMF's, these are fundamentally based on the old VW Industrial Engines. While we're in acronym hell I'll also point out that they don't have DPF's either.

Misinjection can only occur if the injectors are leaking. You're more likely to notice this while driving than at idle. Try and get it up to top speed (if you don't mind ignoring NSL), if you can get up to 95mph, you're injectors aren't leaking.

I've already told you what it is Mazi. Trust me, all SDI owners have it (at some point). That said it's certainly more common on older Sdi. Pre-2000 it's fairly common.

They naturally vibrate quite violently. The default idle is too high really (903rpm if i remember rightly). This is fine while the engine mounts are good, but when they're shot you get a very intense, almost sickening vibration on idle.

A diesel purge can smooth it out slightly. Cleaning the EGR and inlet manifold also helps however the correct answer is:

A. Reduce the idle tickover.

B. Replace engine mount.

I'm a very nice person so I went ahead and found the tutorial for you here:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/99504-lupo-17-sdi/

If you're not sure, and you're local to Staffordshire or even Manchester I'm happy to show the difference it makes. Mine currently sits at 840rpm and it makes a drastic difference. This certainly isn't a snake oil fix or placebo effect.

The only time I feel any vibration now is when it's very cold (more likely because I use vegetable oil which is thicker than diesel). Initially I thought it might suffer from hesitation but having used it for a few months I can't say I've noticed any issues.

Ultimately, my engine mount is still dead but right now, I'm in no rush to change it.

He's changed the mount tho and he still has the issue tho for the most part he's said.

Sorry Pete, I missed that.

Then you need to lower the tickover. Like I said, even with a good mount they're a bit agricultural. Tweaking the tickover will smooth it out a lot. If you're local I'm happy to help you do that. If not, you can follow the guide I put up. I assure you, it'll help a lot.

I'd be interested in this also as my sdi is rattly, I'm pleased to find out it has a solid flywheel tho as I was sure that's what it could be.

Definitely a SMF mate. I'd say that lowering the tickover is certainly the way to go. You got a VAGCOM or 409.1 cable mate?

I might chuck together a How To from the guide I wrote above. Just clarify a few bits and bobs if anyone is interested?

I'm on the east coast mate near Skegness so kinda out of your way! Thanks tho, I've got a drive shaft on it's way out, starter whines, a knock when I shut off the engine-my suspected engine mount-and I've recently noticed a nasty clattering when left in gear and allowed to coast to just above 1k, which is what led me to wonder of the possibility of a dmf.

I'm on the east coast mate near Skegness so kinda out of your way! Thanks tho, I've got a drive shaft on it's way out, starter whines, a knock when I shut off the engine-my suspected engine mount-and I've recently noticed a nasty clattering when left in gear and allowed to coast to just above 1k, which is what led me to wonder of the possibility of a dmf.

I am in kirton in Lindsey and have full vcds