Digital climate control

Mattz341

Haha! Maybe... Ill take photos as i re-install the dash.

To be honest tho its such a big job and i'm not even sure if it'll be able to control the AC Yet!

Currently sitting in the car, working on wiring, reminds me of camping as the rain is so loud in here!!

You can test everything without gassing up yet, but you'll need to trick the sensors...Not sure if the Loop AC high pressure pipe has a pressure sensor on it (as I'm not familiar with AC on a Lupo). If it does, you'll need to tell the AC controller that there is sufficient gas in the system to activate the compressor solenoid (when you turn on the AC). The high pressure sensor may be the sort that indicates, low, ok or high. You must never send a low pressure signal to the controller or it'll lock out (to stop the compressor being damaged). The high signal tells the controller that the compressor has compressed enough gas for the moment so it can be switched off until it drops to 'ok' again. I'm assuming here that the sensor is a 3 level one....

Assuming you can get the compressor solenoid to energise (which tells you that the controller is happy with all the signals), then you'll need to tell it that the system is beginning to chill. A lump of ice held against a sensor might help.

The rad fans should work when the compressor is on and the condensor unit (in front of the rad) is hot (you need some hot water on the sensor).

Most of this is guess work as every Vdub I've worked on has a different AC protocol... Some things take priority over others.

Personally I'd draw a sensor diagram and try and figure out what takes priority. Can't help much more than that, but it usually is pretty logical.

Sensors:

Ambient air temp

Cabin air temp (may not affect AC- during demist mode)

High pressure line temp and/or condensor temp (if fitted).

Coolent temp (may or may not affect AC operation)

Evaporator temp and/or Expansion valve temp (if fitted)

Dryer switch (if there is one)

high pressure switch (if there is one)

air recirculator flap switch (if there is one)

Ac on signal/switch or whatever activates everything

condensate too high float switch (if it has one)

outputs:

rad fans

compressor solenoid

recirculation control thingy

cabin fan(s)

Yeah like Skezza says, the most difficult bit about retrofitting AC to any car/truck/tractor/boat is the compressor + belt system. I always start there, as the rest is relatively straight forward.

• 8 years later...

good thanks for your answer. The sensors are fine, but the temperatures between the frame and the weather do not match, in fact the frame does not show the real temperature, but the weather does

On 20/5/2023 at 16:13, mk2 said:

¡Hola! Y bienvenido:)

Compruebe que los sensores estén limpios. La pelusa alrededor de los sensores puede darte una medición falsa.

If the sensors are ok, it is possible that the system needs calibrating? I don't know enough about how it works.

Can you check the live data from the sensors using VCDS? You can check if the measurements are correct...

pic of your spanish Lupo!?

• 3 weeks later...