Digital climate control

Mattz341

Awesome, thanks rich! I'll attempt it eventually, picking up a new lupo on Wednesday so I'll have a play with that one!

Have you actually done it Rich?

As iirc the polo dash is wider so im wondering how that would affect the fitment.

the polo dash is deeper, this is why you use the lupo fan box.

centre box (one with flaps and controls) is the same.

Cool! I'll give it a go over Xmas i think as thats when im next off for an extended amount of time!

• 3 months later...

Getting everything in was the easy bit, basically marked up everything off of the polo heater box and transferred it across. There was only one piece that was the pain in the bum and that was a motor on the right hand part, but that's all sorted now!

Ah that'll be entertaining as I don't have a polo loom. Elsa win isn't the clearest either!

My only concern is with what goes where in regards to the main plug.

The live is easy enough to work out, but iirc the climatronic needs the exterior temp sensor as well, which can be spliced from the main loom no problem.

As for it being expensive.. This is gonna cost me a regass and about £30 lol!!!

Edited by Mattz341

Been head scratching all day. Managed to get it on and for everything to actuate properly. Just now I've got an entire other clip that needs to be wired in and Havent a clue about it.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Yeah skezza it did. Called it a day for now, going to sink my head into Elsa win once I'm warm and dry as its hammering it down here! Once I've got an idea of what needs to go where I'll post it up here.

For future reference, it's really quite easy getting everything in just a long old slog for two people. (Skezza you'd have no issue, looking at the other bits you've done like the xenon retrofit).

The issue is wiring it up so it will control the AC etc.

Yeah, sounds like it's going good. Definitely keep us updated because apart from Loops on the continent this is a very rare retro fit really and certainly a good one!!

I think an interesting project would be a full air con retro. I think that's where it'd get bloody complicated, although mk2 is convinced it wouldn't be too hard. I still think getting that compressor in is going to be a ****ing nightmare though, whatever experience you've got

Still, good going Matt and considering you seem to have got the parts for next to nothing, it's win win really :D

Yeah man exactly! Are you planning on retrofitting an entire ac system with the standard knobs or the entire climatronic with ac??

As for the rare comment, I've heard whispers of others. I reckon there's 4 (including mine) that'll have the climatronic. Which is understandable, anyone who hasn't a clue about cars etc would be boned. The labour costs of this would be huge too. Taken about 5 hours so far. (Not including the head scratching). That's interior out, dash off, old box out, custom fabrication of the mounts on the lupo box from the polo one and refitted boxes and plugging all the climatronic plugs into the relevant boxes. Not wiring the rest into the other aspects of the car.

I'm a bit concerend about how I'm going to test the AC. Never had to test something like this before and I wanna test it without the dash back in.

Edited by Mattz341

Haha well no doubt you'll find it a breeze. This'll make more sense to you than me i reckon!

Heres all the info about the pins from elsawin.

Wiring%20image_zpsupv9jdki.png

This is gonna be fun, trying to get all the relevant wires to their respective homes!

Edited by Mattz341

Looking t the AC controller on the lupo, it looks really simple.

Literally the blue wire from the back of the original heater knobs goes to the radiator fan control unit in the engine bay, and then that turns everything on in there...

That might make the whole lot alot simplier.. or impossible without the entire polo AC system! Haha happy days!