James's Lupo - Ketty

James_VW

Well, Been an eventful week...

I have both good and bad news...

Bad news first,

Ketty is dead.

Gearbox is AGAIN on its last legs whining in gear, harder at times to put in gear.

Also I believe head gasket is gone, its using/loosing ridiculous amounts of oil and I'm having to top coolant up weekly.

Good News,

Found a replacement...

I'll let the pictures do the talking.

IMAG1762_zps1am5fuhu.jpg

IMAG1761_zpst4e6nold.jpg

IMAG1764_zpsgocxq6uw.jpg

IMAG1765_zpsdoryjqgb.jpg

Fell on this one tbh,

Seat Arosa Sport :thumbup:

Only issue is that its CAT C :angry2: (Should never have been...)

Only mechanical issue was the Driver HUB was pushed back (the bolts that hold the hub to the suspension) so the wheel had camber :tongueout:

Bodywork does have some issues though, obvious large dent in drivers wing, few other dents here and there and few scratches on front bumper...

Being a CAT C it does need a VIC check which is a pain.

Hopefully get that done this week, just need to get a drivers track rod end in place and off it can go :thumbsup:

Although having this it now does put me in difficult choice.

What to do with Ketty? :surprised:

Sell as is?

Break it for parts?

Swap engine from Arosa and put in Ketty?

Fix her up and sell her?

Really don't Know :angry2:

Onto the Lupo Sport,

Interior is finished,

Still need to do full service

Then off that goes for MOT then saving up for new panels and resprays :thumbup:

I would say do not swap the engine between the arosa/Lupo.

Reason - Arosa Mk2 sports are fairly rare in the Uk (about 300 registered in the uk)

If you can get a replacement box it might be worth while repairing (depending on how many miles the car has done) If the car has done high miles it would not be cost effective. So it would be probably easier to break it.

I hope this helps.

Edited by lupo1.0se

I think the black Arosa sport will look awesome with the white Lupo sport, nice find!

Thanks :thumbup: The plan was for the Arosa to be a A to B car whilst building white lupo, but I keep looking at a few build threads and keep getting Ideas of what to do to it...

I would say do not swap the engine between the arosa/Lupo.

Reason - Arosa Mk2 sports are fairly rare in the Uk (about 300 registered in the uk)

If you can get a replacement box it might be worth while repairing (depending on how many miles the car has done) If the car has done high miles it would not be cost effective. So it would be probably easier to break it.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I thought there was only a few of them around! Didn't know there was as little as that!

I would be able to get a box pretty cheap, but still the engine is pretty much dead. Losing oil and coolant, plus also did a compression test and the results were terrible. So also thinking piston rings... :rant:

Would be a shame to break it as its a clean car really... but am really considering breaking it as there is more money in it! :surprised:

mk2 arosa sport.

nice.

Seem to be a few people like them! :thumbup:

Its a very clean car actually!

71,000 miles

Factory Fitted Remote Central Locking

Factory Fitted Air bag seats

Well what a nightmare past few days have been.

Right, Ketty is now dead, gearbox has had it and I'm sick of topping up with oil and coolant.

(Going to be stripped for parts)

Arosa wont be on road for another few weeks due to few reasons... DVLA taking P**s

So that left with the choice of getting the Lupo sport on the road.

The only thing it failed on was emissions,

Looked like the cat was not working as good as it should.

Chucked in some cat cleaner and new sprak plugs and took it for blast to clear out the system.

The next day it passed :thumbup:

Currently driving around in the white sport, not what I wanted as wanted to keep it off the road till it was fully finished to how I wanted it, but circumstances had changed.

I quite like the sport though, defiantly tell the difference between the 75bh and 100bhp. It has a lot more revs and gets to speed a lot quicker.

The only issue is how LOW it is... Speed bumps are terrible. Need to raise it up more. Probably get hate for this but f**k it.

I don't spend money on a car to destroy it by running far to low that the car is a pain to drive, having to constantly check road for bumps, stuff on road, pot holes, etc...

I do like them lowered to reduce the arch gap but not stupidly low that everything catches and scrapes.

I also find exhaust a little to loud as you hear me before you see me :shifty: So might look at getting a silencer put in at some point :thumbsup:

Anyway that's my little rant out of way and sorry for the essay :tongueout:

Well what a nightmare past few days have been.

Right, Ketty is now dead, gearbox has had it and I'm sick of topping up with oil and coolant.

(Going to be stripped for parts)

Arosa wont be on road for another few weeks due to few reasons... DVLA taking P**s

So that left with the choice of getting the Lupo sport on the road.

The only thing it failed on was emissions,

Looked like the cat was not working as good as it should.

Chucked in some cat cleaner and new sprak plugs and took it for blast to clear out the system.

The next day it passed :thumbup:

Currently driving around in the white sport, not what I wanted as wanted to keep it off the road till it was fully finished to how I wanted it, but circumstances had changed.

I quite like the sport though, defiantly tell the difference between the 75bh and 100bhp. It has a lot more revs and gets to speed a lot quicker.

The only issue is how LOW it is... Speed bumps are terrible. Need to raise it up more. Probably get hate for this but f**k it.

I don't spend money on a car to destroy it by running far to low that the car is a pain to drive, having to constantly check road for bumps, stuff on road, pot holes, etc...

I do like them lowered to reduce the arch gap but not stupidly low that everything catches and scrapes.

I also find exhaust a little to loud as you hear me before you see me :shifty: So might look at getting a silencer put in at some point :thumbsup:

Anyway that's my little rant out of way and sorry for the essay :tongueout:

Yeah the roads really are shocking around here I can vouch for that!! I got an £85 parts bill recently caused by them. :angry::rant:

If you put the Lupo on the road now, then take it off and do all the tweaks to it, you will feel what difference you have made so not all bad! ;)

Are you going to UD this weekend mate, convey down if you fancy?

Also (I know this is a b***h but) if you're breaking the the Lupo, is there any chance you have some black rear headrests you want to sell? Driving me crazy trying to find some local! :sweating:

Edited by T3LLIOTT

Yeah the roads really are shocking around here I can vouch for that!! I got an £85 parts bill recently caused by them. :angry::rant:

If you put the Lupo on the road now, then take it off and do all the tweaks to it, you will feel what difference you have made so not all bad! ;)

Are you going to UD this weekend mate, convey down if you fancy?

Also (I know this is a b***h but) if you're breaking the the Lupo, is there any chance you have some black rear headrests you want to sell? Driving me crazy trying to find some local! :sweating:

Yeah they really are! Especially to say, I remember the council saying they have funding to re-tarmac every road in Sheffield, yet all are still crazy bad!

Fair point :thumbsup: Probably end up not wanting to take it off the road because of how fun it is :clap:

Unfortunately not, don't really have the time, Sports bodywork is terrible and need a new alternator in the car as that's packed in. Hopefully next time :thumbsup:

hmm, I do have some, but the issue is I would ideally prefer to sell as set as would struggle to sell other bits :/ (Ill see what i can do!)

PS.

You'll probably hear me going past your work tomorrow :innocent: as be driving past. :tongueout:

Yeah they really are! Especially to say, I remember the council saying they have funding to re-tarmac every road in Sheffield, yet all are still crazy bad!

Fair point :thumbsup: Probably end up not wanting to take it off the road because of how fun it is :clap:

Unfortunately not, don't really have the time, Sports bodywork is terrible and need a new alternator in the car as that's packed in. Hopefully next time :thumbsup:

hmm, I do have some, but the issue is I would ideally prefer to sell as set as would struggle to sell other bits :/ (Ill see what i can do!)

PS.

You'll probably hear me going past your work tomorrow :innocent: as be driving past. :tongueout:

Yep you heard correctly. They're meant to be doing every road, but for some reason have decided to do some quite B raods instead of the main roads to start. :confused:

Okay mate no worries, hope to see you round some shows soon though! :)

Haha I'll listen out for you then! Will probably have my MX5 parked across the road though, as I'm find myself driving that more than my Lupo of late! -_- Lupo's just a bit low and unforgiving really. :(

Haha, Cheers! :thumbup:

Tomorrow need to replace alternator on sport as that has packed in <_< (Hopefully it will be straight forward...)

Was carrying round 3 battery's for last couple of days :lol:

Hopefully few other bits:

Raise it up

Finish off few bits of interior

Fit subwoofer

Coolant change

Oil change

Try and crack off rear brake nipples... :unsure: and bleed them (Any tips? Lots of heat, Penetrating fluid)

Order silicone hose for BMC CDA to throttle body and oil catch can.

Lastly maybe start breaking ketty :neutral:

Sorry for lack of photos will try to get some :)

Managed to get the alternator done today :thumbup:

Before:

IMAG1789_zpsfd2wvav8.jpg

During:

IMAG1785_zpsconb4zkg.jpg

IMAG1782_zps8nlszizd.jpg

After:

IMAG1787_zpsrghapdpo.jpg

Seems to have done the trick :)

Cost me all of £10 as well :D Which I think ain't to bad.

Can actually start enjoying the car more now!

Also managed to raise the front up more which actually makes the car more usable.

Wanted to get more done but weather was cold today and I had enough :bleh:

So time for a beer :cheers:

Good work mate as always mate! :D

I spent 4 hours cleaning mine for UD tomorrow to find I had a slice in my tyre and slow puncture. Only time will tell if it will stay up overnight. If not, I'll be taking the Mazda! ??

Thanks!

devastating! :( Cant you get it repaired tomorrow morning? Or are you setting off early?

Setting off at 5! ? Need to be there early and see people/drop stuff off.

Have you seen what's happened to some of the show cars Whilst getting there? Had wheels fall off and everything :(

Setting off at 5! Need to be there early and see people/drop stuff off.

Have you seen what's happened to some of the show cars Whilst getting there? Had wheels fall off and everything :(

wow! Thought there was only ever one 5 o'clock in a day? :roflmao::thumbsup:

Really? Hahaha :P

• 1 month later...

not updated this in a while...

Done a few jobs but forgot to take photos...

Interior is now complete, picked the best bits between the cars and have a clean interior :)

Had new coolant, oil and filter.

Rear brakes were shocking and had a nightmare of a job with them.

The bleed nipples were rusted solid, so picked up 2 second hand ones and good job I did!

The issue was the discs and pads had gone but the callipers seemed to stick a bit.

The rear left calliper was shot, the dust cover was released from the calliper so the piston had rusted and seized.

One break line didn't have a washer so was tightened far too tight to compensate for the washer.

Also one brake line was rusted so snapped... (Stole one from Ketty :shifty: )

So the 2 callipers were again cleaned up and painted red to match the front.

Tomorrows job is to to give the whole system a good bleed with DOT 5 fluid and adjust the handbrake cable. :thumbsup:

Seat Arosa was delayed for a while, but tried to get it to be VIC checked but DVLA are complete D***S.

Plus side bought a new grill.

IMAG1938_zps5evhpkl3.jpg

Future Jobs:

- Get Arosa VIC checked

- Get tracking all sorted

- Code a new key for the car

- Start listing bits for sale from Ketty

- Swap Dials over on Sport (Time display is broke and prefer the Grey background instead of white. Need to learn how to adjust mileage if its possible as don't want to mess about with the original mileage)

- Make some rear braided lines

Sorry for lacks of photo's :ouch:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't updated this in a while... (Mainly because not much interesting has happened )

Well, I finally got round to stripping ketty :surprised:

IMAG2054_zpsuvezigi7.jpg

IMAG2047_zps3pgpzsua.jpg

IMAG2042_zpsxtz46tub.jpg

Everything was pretty simple to be honest, even removing the engine was fairly easy.

The bit which gave the biggest issue were the front wings which turned out to be a nightmare to remove

Was a bit of a shame to scrap a tidy shell but onto bigger and better things now :shifty:

Not much has happened to the sport in the meantime, just general repairs and sprucing up.

Did manage to get hold of some OEM roof bars :thumbup:

But did have issue with them in transport as the company managed to bend the FL foot :rant:

So took it someone with a better knowledge of bending metal back and they did a great job getting it back to shape

IMAG1951_zpsoxnng6q6.jpg

The drivers window wouldn't go fully up due to the crap design of the windows...

IMAG2076_zpsatzrsbj6.jpg

The glass wouldn't stay in the clip so would go up at an angle and jam... managed to sort that out without to much hassle :thumbsup:

A bigger problem I have had is that the drivers check strap has rotted meaning the 2 bolt holes that hold the check strap to the door are no longer there... so no more check strap

Only photo I have, if you look at the bottom that is where the 2 holes should have been :furious:

IMAG2011_zpsgktilny0.jpg

GTI aluminium doors are now needed.

I haven't really shown many photos of the sport as the bodywork is terrible but ah well, here are some...

IMAG2001_zpslkq85gln.jpg

IMAG2003_zpswdwvbcjh.jpg

IMAG2038_zpsumu5kgqu.jpg

As you can see the bodywork is FAR from good... hopefully the sport will be back of the road soon to have a full body repair/respray and have the 1.6 GTI lump in :innocent:

Now with the Arosa sport, still haven't got round to the VIC check, might leave it till October as it shouldn't then need one.

Then either run that whilst the white sport is off road or put it up for swaps only and run whatever that would be?

More than likely up for swaps as fancy something a little different :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Not updated in a while...

nothing major has really happened,just been plodding along constantly fixing things :tongueout:

First thing first, If anyone needs any amazing quality key-rings go see 'T3LLIOTT' House of Logo's

Top set of people! :thumbup:

IMAG0138_zpsxjxm5crw.jpg

Drivers window regulator broke did a bodge... but fixed properly now by replacing clips.

IMAG0333_zpsb5uoaymi.jpg

Wipers and windscreen washer jets also work after like 6 months :innocent:

(Took squirters from ketty... why did the sport ones have wires where as new ones dont?)

IMAG0346_zpso3cbmsam.jpg

Had a set of callipers spare so had some free time to refurb them, thought id try red on black

IMAG0172_zpsyofbrcz7.jpg

Got a bit bored other week back so had a bit of fun making a roof rack...

IMAG0352_zpstkaeh6il.jpg

The finished product :roflmao: No real plans for it tbh just thought Id see how it looks

IMAG0364_zpshmaynm4f.jpg

IMAG0363_zpsqsp7rsem.jpg

Finally managed to get all the standard black plastics in the car so all the white plastic is out and for sale :thumbup:

IMAG0379_zps3dlz9nc0.jpg

Had to swap back to the BBS RX2 as the Borbet A's cant take weight in the back of the car as they catch the arches...

IMG_20150811_192922_zpscvkyrmwp.jpg

Other news... saved this from the scrappys

IMAG0323_zpsqjngf1tb.jpg

IMAG0342_zpsukazwozj.jpg

IMAG0325_zpsusz5aae6.jpg

Not sure on the plan for this.. just waiting on news for something else :shifty:

Possibly rebuild it back to standard or stripped :surprised:

Most of the car is there, just missing

-front and rear bumpers

-passenger wing

-headlights

-grab handles

-sun visors

-seatbelts

-rear door cards

-wing mirror covers

-seats

Obviously all the most expensive bits :rant: