James's Lupo - Ketty

James_VW

• 2 months later...

Right then, finally update time ?

Start with the sport,

Just been driving this daily.

Gearbox had died, already had a polo GTI box so replaced gearbox fluid and overfilled with 1 pint extra, been told this will help the top bearings.

Still going strong so hopefully that will last.

IMG_20151011_192601_zpschusmpuc.jpg

As paintwork is shocking its not been kept clean as it actually looks better dirty ??

GTI...

More work has been put into getting it back on the road

With it being a rare car, finding parts cheaply has been a bit of effort...

Although I've now managed to almost finished the interior, all that is needed now is rear door cards with speaker holes.

Managed to get the front end in a fashion... The top bumper is perfect and in primer, although the bottom is bodged ? came from a front end smashed GTI and I've plastic welded and put screws were neccasey to make it work ? itll do for time being till a better and cheaper part comes up for sale.

IMAG0721_zpsmww47xwy.jpg

Managed to fit pop out windows aswell, and picked up a cheap passenger wing, although i think its in a different silver colour.

IMAG0803_zpsamlhiyit.jpg

IMAG0802_zpsvj4q43db.jpg

Just now need front lights, rear bumper and many bolts to make it back to standard.

Seat arosa is now for sale, I have the logbook. Anybody want it cheap? Before I chuck some MOT on it?

• 11 months later...

Almost a full year since an update! :o

hmm where to start...

Seat Arosa has gone...

Still driving around in the Lupo Sport which hasn't had a lot of attention but has been maintained.

Its had a few odd jobs done, breaks all round, gti black roof lining, Abs sensors replacing, oil (lots of it) mainly just maintenance stuff...

I've finally got into gear starting on the GTI... I wasn't quite sure on how to approach the build, do I do it properly and keep it or fix and sell...

Took a while to think about but decide to keep it as you know there only going up in value, very fun to drive, cheaper insurance and I like that you don't see many about on the roads...

So I decided to start on the front end - inspected to see what I needed and would replace anyway after 16ish years...

• Passanger inner and outer cv boot
  • drivers outer cv boot
  • passanger steering rack boot
  • both track rod ends
  • both wishbones
  • both anti roll bar stabilisers
  • Abs light present so may as well replace both sensors
  • both wheel bearings
  • Getting new zinc nuts and bolts aswell 
  • hubs getting shot blasted and painted
  • may renew caliper seals 
  • inner track rods are good so just thread chasing them to clean the threads up so alignment is easier to do
  • new brake shields

Also managed to get the front headlight washer system working. New bulbs in spotlights. rip in seat so getting that repaired. 

Rear of car planning on...

• dropping rear beam... shot blasting and painting
  • new bushes
  • replacing discs, pads, calipers
  • HEL braided lines (mk2 to mk4) 
  • New nuts and bolts
  • Look at the condition of the stub axles, bearing etc

Painting will be the last on the list of to do as would prefer to get mechanically sound then worry about the cosmetics later as that will hurt the wallet aswell :wacko:

Still on the lookout for...

• Drivers Headlight
  • Rear door cards (Black rears or full red set)
  • need some new front hubs 

Sorry for the long message will try and remember pics next time...

• 2 years later...

Still in the Lupo game 😁 (although have been driving round in a polo 6n2 TDI)

Although I now own another Lupo GTI in a colour I've always wanted!

150k miles but still drives great. 

Plan on keeping this for a while and doing it properly.

Still have the moon silver GTI which now has MOT. Still unsure what to do with it? Do feel like the price will rocket in a few years so might keep hold?

AirBrush_20190529195843.jpg

Screenshot_20190626-221519_Photos.jpg

Just read all of this, glad to see you're keeping the Lupo game going!

On another note, if the n/s wing you bought is a reflex silver one, I have a moon silver one on mine I'd be happy to do a straight swap with you?

7 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

Just read all of this, glad to see you're keeping the Lupo game going!

On another note, if the n/s wing you bought is a reflex silver one, I have a moon silver one on mine I'd be happy to do a straight swap with you?

Might be a possibility, I'll inbox you.

One of the first alterations was to swap out the OEM steering wheel. I decide to go for the OMP Trecento 300mm. I think it's much better for the size of the car. 

Also noticed the indicator stalk has been swapped out for an aftermarket one. Will be on the look out for an OEM one.

Next up is a service, android head unit and a good clean.

IMG-20190630-WA0007.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have lost count of the amount of cars I have seen in this thread lol, done some great work though. Any spares you want to sell me? I love that OMP steering wheel, I would probably agree with you that a 300mm steering wheel is the right size for these cars. I had the exact same oil leak from the sump on my AUC 6n2, the bolts are too easy too round off.. Is it me or do the Starlites remind you of Mini Cooper alloys? I see your local to me too.  

Edited by Jamie/Arosa

19 hours ago, Jamie/Arosa said:

I have lost count of the amount of cars I have seen in this thread lol, done some great work though. Any spares you want to sell me? I love that OMP steering wheel, I would probably agree with you that a 300mm steering wheel is the right size for these cars. I had the exact same oil leak from the sump on my AUC 6n2, the bolts are too easy too round off.. Is it me or do the Starlites remind you of Mini Cooper alloys? I see your local to me too.  

Yes there has been a few! Will be keeping hold of the blue GTI for a while. Do have some amount of spares knocking about. Will keep an eye out for you 👍

• 7 months later...