James's Lupo - Ketty

James_VW

Hey Everyone, I'm James, bought a 1.4 Jazz Blue Lupo (75BHP) as my first car last year, somehow the car got the name ketty :innocent:

Been lurking around club Lupo for a while, so thought I would share :wave:

First Pictures of the car when purchased.

First_day_bought_zpsae5b7ed6.jpg

Found some very cheap BBS RX2's locally (Cheap for a reason... previous owner did a rubbish home DIY)

IMAG0467_zps1bdcb85d.jpg

Next was to service it with oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter and coolant.

IMAG0488_zps899a2f7a.jpg
IMAG0489_zpsc1ccd536.jpg

Oil Sensor switch failed so this was changed.

IMAG0501_zpscff2dee5.jpg

The rusty drum brakes were now showing due to the alloys, so they got a lick of paint as well as the wheel bolts.

IMAG0522_zps8b77f525.jpg

As the car was getting cleaned regularly, I decided to purchase a snow foam lance. Bodywork isn't in the greatest of conditions, but look at improving this later on.

IMAG0527_zps15d22e1d.jpg

All was good until the gearbox started to make a whining noise, Gearbox oil was changed, hoping to prolong the life of the box. (gearbox oil reeks)
IMAG0611_zps984ac68a.jpg

Whining noise had subsided a little, but a month or so later it failed, sounded like a bag of spanners, then all drive was lost. Managed to find a new gearbox with 59K miles on it. Had this replaced along with a new clutch. Got back the old gearbox, drained the oil to find 1cm chunks of metal , This is stored for a possible rebuild later on.

Wanted to improve the breaking so picked up some HEL braided brake lines. (These were fitted a long time later)

IMAG0632_zpsb1821c71.jpg

Looked at a few threads were people cleaned behind the arch liners, so decided to give it a clean, quite shocked as to what I found :surprised: All was cleaned and liner screws were replaced.

arch_cleaning_zps34763f71.jpg

Behind the rear lights was also cleaned.

rear_light_cleaning_zps270a8fe3.jpg

Next failure which I had was the thermostat housing had broke, Luckily it was a quick and easy fix.

thermo_stat_zpsbae9596a.jpg

Not much had happened to the car around this time, until a local VW breaker got hold of a Laser Blue Lupo Sport! Unfortunately it was a complete write off.

Lupo_sport_crash_zps834a151d.jpg

On the bright side, I picked up a few parts.
Interior seats, full rear disc beam, front brake set-up, fog valance, coilovers, rear sport bumper, exhaust system and boot floor.
The seats look same as the GTI model, are 05 Lupo Sport seats the same?

lupo_sport_parts_zps337f1bf0.jpg

The first job was fitting in the lower fog lights. Followed a few guides on here and the fogs went in easy enough :clap:

fog_lights_zpsba66a15b.jpg

Next up was cleaning up the front hubs, they was shot blasted, primed, painted and had new bearings pressed in. When the bearings was pressed out, one of the hubs had scarring from previous bearing changes, this got swapped to a cleaner one.

front_hubs_zps9f79c4b5.jpg
IMAG1072_zps3428cf75.jpg

Callipers and carriers was cleaned up and painted.

callipers_painting_zps41172fe6.jpg

Then came the time to fit it... (bearing in mind I'm no mechanic) I got to this point and thought, Oh :censored: what have I done :tongueout:

IMAG1166_zps139fd8fd.jpg

Carried on going, and eventually finished.

IMAG1174_zps10e1b64e.jpg
IMAG1173_zps36d985e5.jpg

Was just about to pack down and the great English weather kicked in :rant:

hub_rain_zpsd15960c5.jpg

Couple of weeks later got round to fitting coilovers, gave them a very quick clean up.

coilovers_zps25b06c1a.jpg
coilovers_fitted_zps13a9b815.jpg

Again all was good :thumbup: untill I had a meeting with a curb :swerve: outcome? Bent left rear alloy, bent rear beam, Track rods and track rod ends destroyed, front right and left rear arch liner cut in half and the front right arch has a nice pattern of the wheel...

crash_zps2db338c5.jpg

Thankfully I had got the rear beam from the Lupo sport :clap: Rear callipers and carriers was painted and the rear beam had a quick coat of paint. Rear Disc beam was fitted with braided Lines, new inner track rods, track rod ends and ball joints.

IMAG1216_zpsef3f2d29.jpg

Currently this is how the car sits, but still have a lot that I would like to do.

I still have the boot floor and exhaust from the Sport so may get this welded in, not to sure on this idea yet...

IMAG1022_zpsde7e9cd6.jpg

Managed to find some VW starlites, but will need a refurb, (not sure on what colour to go for, possibly a dark greyish?)

IMAG1146_zps251d80e4.jpg

Well that's everything so far, below is some issues that im having engine wise if anybody could help :thumbsup:

So, recently been having issues with the enigne drinking lots of oil. i've been reading that the AUA engines have common issues with piston rings, hopefully it isn't the case. I've been thinking that it could be the sump gasket as it looks very oily around that area, but i never see any oil drips?? Possibly the valve stem seals??

IMAG1177_zpsa7cfb2cb.jpg

Also removed spark plugs to find that that there is a lot of oil around the threads?

spark_plug_zps162696c1.jpg

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers for looking

James

Thanks for your comments :thumbup:

Decent progress! :) those starlites! :shades: I owned a set on my first lupo!

Lovely choice of wheels! Just bought a set myself, gunmetal grey/anthracite would look great against thenblue paintwork

Took a while for some starlites to pop up, ending up doing a 4 hour trek for them! I think your right, anthracite may be the one.

Regarding seats.

On later sports they are the same GTi seats. Most sports pre 2003 have a different interior. But all lupo interior is interchangeable between models.

Thanks for letting me know about the seats! :thumbsup:

So jealous of your starlites :angry2: Really really want a set haha! Good thread!

They do pop up now and again, just keep stalking eBay :tongueout: Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Just seen this thread, looks really tidy. :thumbsup:

Have you any recent updates? :)

Actually yes! Quite a big update really, Just need to find the time to do it!

Lets just say there's another car on the drive :shades:

OK, so finally got my ass in gear, here is an update :thumbup:

Still haven't done anything with the starlites but did a trial fit.

The tyres on them are 185/55/14, once refurbed will probably run this size, unless any other recommendations?

IMAG1259_zps2ce62c90.jpg

Next up, did a cheep mod with indicator bulbs. In my opinion it looks a lot cleaner and more modern?

IMAG1325_zps9eaf06dd.jpg

IMAG1326_zps06ab5f12.jpg

MOT was due, only issue was the ARB Bush at the front which had deteriorated. New one fitted, can definitely tell the difference in handling!

IMAG1483_zpsecfd64e7.jpg

Recently decided to remove the bump strips and debadge the rear. I was a little cautious with this as I knew that it could end in tears :tongueout:

I started at the tailgate, used fishing wire to cut between the badge, then a caramel wheel to remove the sticky stuff and finally a bit of polish. seemed to work well so attacked the bump strips.

All went well, only issue is a little bit of paint has turned green, but is hardly noticeable.

Need to source a new tailgate handle, also considering painting the badge black?

IMAG1582_zpsf0b85a36.jpg

IMAG1583_zps4fa33435.jpg

IMAG1584_zps527ab59b.jpg

IMAG1585_zpsef20fda0.jpg

IMAG1589_zps11b96bc8.jpg

That's all that has happened so far with this car. The plan for the car was to drop a 1.6 ARC engine from a polo 6n2 GTI into it. So I managed to get hold of the engine, gearbox, engine loom, interior loom, etc.

By getting the looms for free the catch was for me to remove them... This picture pretty much sums up the day.

IMAG1278_zpseb93cde4.jpg

Managed to get it all out pretty easy actually! Especially whilst still drunk from the night before! :twisted: Lets just say the bending down wasn't so fun :tongueout:

IMAG1279_zpsa3485cb8.jpg

Currently the engine is stored elsewhere so no photo's of that.

But onto the bigger more exciting update :clap:

Bought a Lupo Project, it being a Candy White Lupo Sport.

On its way to its new home

caronway_zps79979b68.jpg

IMAG1534_zps60da1f0c.jpg

The car will be having a full refurb including a whole new interior (as there isn't one :tongueout:) and a full body repair and respray.

IMAG1555_zpse7d6a5d8.jpg

Annoyingly there's a hole in the dash :rant: (not really sure how that is possible)

IMAG1554_zps5e21f124.jpg

momo steering wheel, may put into ketty for time being.

IMAG1556_zpsbdee3d04.jpg

Borbet A alloys

IMAG1563_zps14dc50af.jpg

Infinity Exhaust system, stainless system from cat.

IMAG1564_zpsb3b11604.jpg

Luckily able to fit pop out rears

IMAG1571_zpsfb48ff11.jpg

But unfortunately no rear speaker holes

IMAG1560_zpse8e0b2c9.jpg

Weathers been a cold recently so haven't done much to it, all I've really done is steam cleaned the interior and repaired bit of surface rust in the boot. The plan was to put the GTI engine into this but I'm now thinking to run it till the engine dies then put the GTI in, hopefully I will have better insurance prices at that point! :thumbsup:

So the future plan, getting hold of a donor lupo soonish for the interior. Will be getting all black interior and the newer style dash as Prefer this style and I believe it looks more modern. Hoping the dash will be a direct fit, but I will have to reroute a few cables. Then it will have a full body repair/respray, staying the same colour but thinking of having the roof gloss black for the extra scene points?

Think that's all so far,

Will try to keep this updated regularly.

Cheers

James

On 1/17/2015 at 10:39 PM, Rich said:

nice work.

Bin off the white shell, focus on the blue, far better colour/name.

Cheers! It's a learning curve but a fun one :thumbsup:

Nah I like the colour, Ketty will still get some attention.

Wont cost too much to get the sport on the road, as can get all interior pretty cheap and the body repairer hopefully will sort me out. :thumbsup:

Questions if you could help :thumbup:

Will a 1.4 later dash fit straight in? Just have to reroute rear heater and hazard switches.

Something else I'm looking into is fitting electric mirrors, Just thinking how it is done.

I already have later sport door looms with electric mirrors and switch and can get hold of mirrors later on.

How could I then set this up? Does it have to be run to the comfort control module? Could I splice the mirror loom from the Polo gti and use its CCM? Not really sure how it's done but wouldn't mind giving it a go.

great if you could help

Cheers

Edited by James_VW

Dash, any lupo dash will fit any lupo.

loom wise, if you want to do this the easiest way, get hold of a Lupo gti wiring loom and just run that inside of the car and use the polo gti engine/box.

You'll get all the electrical upgrades of the gti plus all of the ease of using the polo gti engine which just drops in.

And yeah, I guessed the ket reference in the first post, I don't get why people just want to mong about doing jack when there's so much **** which always needs doing.

Dash, any lupo dash will fit any lupo.

loom wise, if you want to do this the easiest way, get hold of a Lupo gti wiring loom and just run that inside of the car and use the polo gti engine/box.

You'll get all the electrical upgrades of the gti plus all of the ease of using the polo gti engine which just drops in.

And yeah, I guessed the ket reference in the first post, I don't get why people just want to mong about doing jack when there's so much **** which always needs doing.

Good to know any dash will fit

Is that using both lupo gti bay loom and interior loom? Or can I use lupo gti interior loom and polo gti bay loom? Polo engine is ARC.

Haha, when stuff needs doing that's when amphetamine is useful. :shades:

jk, your right there is always too much **** to do :thumbsup:

just roll one and crack on.

Use the whole loom for the whole car.

You'll have rcl and electric everything, if you get it all then you'll have the alarm too. ]

definately the easiest way to go about it.

Does sound easier, more my style.

Is it all plug and play then? Any connections need changing? Apparently ARC has few more connections than the later GTI engine? Will this have problems?

Use ECU from polo and get it programmed to current key.

The throttle will need changing from cable to electric, is this straight forward?

Lights will also have to be modified with lupo gti bay loom

Edited by James_VW

Use a normal lupo pedalbox with a potentiometer.

the only differences, the polo engine has an oil temp sender on the head, the lupo doesn't so it doesn't plug in, job done.

The speedo drive is different, just change the plug.

ARC and AVY are basically the same thing.

Use the ecu from the lupo, use the gti key/convenience module/steering column and then you'll have the rcl and immob without ****ing about.

That's great!

Will be a lot less hassle that way, only issue is getting the looms and required parts being as rare Lupo GTI's go up for breaking. :angry2:

So everything for the conversion:

Polo engine

polo gearbox

Lupo GTI both looms

Lupo GTI ECU

Convenience module

steering column with key reader and immobiliser

standard Lupo pedalbox

Larger Radiator?

Lupo GTI fuel pump?