Word of WARNING About this Lupo Gti

m8ngn

Hi all

Just a word of warning of this Lupo GTI on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-VOLKSWAGEN-LUPO-GTI-1-6-/221570473988?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3396a12004

I hate to talk of others but this really is a barge, i have owned 4 lupo's 2 GTI's and 2 TDI's so i know them quite well. Anyway i travelled from Newcastle to Bournemouth to buy the one on the above link as i was promised it was perfect and had all documents etc, obviously i knew there would have been a few niggly bits but not what i was expecting.

The lad wanted £3500 2 month ago when i went.

Firstly arrived and the tax had ran out over a month ago, it has been crashed on the front as various parts were held in with unsuitable aftermarket botls/screws and badly painted bumper, he has sprayed the spoiler to hide the bubbling (with a catapult) there is rough over spray all over the car, the passenger side has been painted near the rear of the door on the sill and you can see and feel the triangle where it has a different paint (I think he went to Stevie Wonders body repair centre to be honest) The car was listed with 89k on the clocks on arrival it has 78k, the history was minimal with no service book just printouts of services, to be honest i think the paper was still warm from his printer, no mileage records at all hence the 122k on ebay where it has blatantly done an auto MOT check,

The car was scratched all over with badly covered touch up pen. His ad stated coilovers so on arrival i could tell from the height it didn't which led to an argument as he thought the bumpstops were coilovers (this was where i nearly snapped).

The car drove awful as i thought I'm not coming 300+ mile to not drive it, gearbox was odd felt like it was staged gearing instead of a smooth transition. It was so underpowered (really my Tdi has more poke) and i know how they should drive.

Lastly he was more interested in telling me i wouldn't find a better one and how beautiful Bournemouth was i couldn't stand another second of his B******t so said i would be reluctant to even offer him 2K then left to head home in my Corsa rental car. I don't like to bad mouth people but this guy was a t**t and so far up his own pumper he was coming back out of his mouth.

Bit of a long winded post but i would not one anyone to waste their time or money i lost £600 on flights and hire cars and it was the best £600 i have lost over owning an absolute pill of a car.

Thanks

i have a feeling we've seen this kiddo before and it has a history on Club Lupo of being an abused dog.

Will have to see if I can find the original thread.

"OEM wheels" I remember that phase when VW offers nasty multi fit wheels as an option :roflmao:

Last mot at 78938

Current mileage 122159

Runs out in june next year, so what he's saying is

4months hes done 43221 miles... seems a lot to me

Yeah i feel sorry for the bidders even if they are his mates, just for the fact of being his mates.

TBH. This kind of story does not surprise me in the least. I looked at an Arosa Sport once. I was a complete dog.

This is the list of what I needed

Fully body re-spray - did not look now where near as bad in the pics.

Tyres where due

New exhaust required.

New cambelt required. (Was on 65000 miles and had not had a cambelt change since new)

To top it all I noticed that the wing mirror side cover was odd on the passenger side. After further investigation it had been involved in a un-recorded accident.

I walked away. The car is still around. The last I heard is it might being broken up Edit that it is being broken up but its for sale as well.

Edited by lupo1.0se

This is why I don't travel far for cars anymore. If it's an hour away I'll go but if it's further it really annoys me when people are taking the mic.

The car mentioned above was only about 1hr away from where I live at the time. Its now very far away from where I live.

Sorry to hear about this mate but thanks for giving others the heads up. From the pics it looks a great little car its a shame an idiot is hiding things from potential buyers.

Yeah that was my thoughts he even sent a load of HD pics to me but i suppose from the right angles pics can hide anything. I was gutted when i seen it but happy now that i didn't just buy it for the sake of it. i have always traveled to get cars and never been let down but i guess there is a first for everything.

I just hope my post stopped someone else from being devastated.

Yeah that was my thoughts he even sent a load of HD pics to me but i suppose from the right angles pics can hide anything. I was gutted when i seen it but happy now that i didn't just buy it for the sake of it. i have always traveled to get cars and never been let down but i guess there is a first for everything.

I just hope my post stopped someone else from being devastated.

At the end of the day, whoever wins the auction has a right to reject it as soon as they arrive, so long as they spot the damage. A lot of people have started trying this "Bid to buy, not be a test pilot. No tyre kicking. Come and view before bidding. If you win, you pay" notices on their ads, but eBay's 'Item not as described' policy actually overrides these notices as sellers are required to agree to the Item as described agreement which states that the seller, aka the current owner has thoroughly inspected the item and listed it in good faith and that any noticeable damage or problems are described in full. Any problems that are not described are absent because the seller lacked the know-how or prior knowledge to necessarily notice they existed (e.g. corroded brake lines may be missed by a novice). I'm sorry, but stuff like poor paintwork, badly painted bumpers are noticeable to the naked eye and therefore should be included in the description.

As such, the buyer is fully within their rights to reject.

I recently helped a friend out looking at a Mk2 Golf, described as immaculate. Er, no it wasn't. He bought it on Ebay for £3700 and the thing had so much body filler on it, I can't believe that it didn't snap in two. And talking about brake lines- how it got through an MOT I'll never know. Ok, so I know some 'friendly' test places too.... Needless to say, he rejected it, but was slammed by the seller on Ebay feedback- so much so that Ebay had to get involved and told him to go away after suspending his account.

On the subject of checking cars out- If anyone is in the Leicester area and knows Lupos inside out, I need to check a SDI over sometime this/next week, with prospect of buying it... There's a beer or something in it :thumbsup:

Also if anyone needs a VW 'expert' eye (I hate using that expression, as there's no such thing as an expert!), in the M4 & Reading area, let me know and I'll come down and help you have a look. The more Lupos I look at the better! PM me.