1.7 SDi Auxiliary Belt

Liamx

Hi all,

Apologies that this is my first post!

After recently changing the pedal box on my daily drive Lupo (what a job...) the Auxiliary Belt decided to leave the vehicle this morning.

Firstly, does anyone have a diagram for how it normally fits? And secondly, I can't seem to get access to the tensioner, is this normal?

Not sure if the layout is the same as on our TDI but on that it is not really possible to fit it the wrong way - it has to go over the crankshaft, camshaft and alternator and then under the tensioner roller so providing you have the correct belt and have locked the tensioner in position with a suitable drill bit then it is pretty obvious how it fits round the other pulley.

Not sure if the layout is the same as on our TDI but on that it is not really possible to fit it the wrong way - it has to go over the crankshaft, camshaft and alternator and then under the tensioner roller so providing you have the correct belt and have locked the tensioner in position with a suitable drill bit then it is pretty obvious how it fits round the other pulley.

Sounds like you are mixing the timing belt and the aux belt up.

Normally an aux belt is run from the crankshaft bottom pulley and around the power steering, air con (if fitted)the alternator and the tensioner.

I am dong the one on my 1.4 TDI later so will take a pic in case it is the same.

Will look in my mk4 golf book as well as I think they had the 1.7sdi engine at some point

• Like 1

Apologies - brain fade! What I meant to say was the power steering pump pulley.

Cambelt on TDI goes round crank, camshaft and waterpump. Aux belt drives all the other bits - would be surprised if the aux belt drives the waterpump on the SDI but as I say if you have the correct belt I would not think it is possible to fit it the wrong way