Lupo 1.7 sdi

Billious

Yes it's the tractor ish noise I've got it quiet now I made it tick over at a slightly higer rev which sorted it well .

surely at the expense of fuel economy?

Know its a different engine but I've got a polo 1.9 SDI and it is insanely loud on idle, always has been since I bought it over 40k miles ago. SDI engines just keep chugging away getting noisier and noisier as they clock up miles :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough I decided to look at the tickover last Friday. My SDI vibrates particularly violently (ask Mattarosa if you're not convinced). For a while, I put this down to it just being a big old dirty diesel, but then I wondered if it was the engine mounts. They have a reputation for wearing early because of the amount of vibrations. Anyway, hard to tell if it is the mounts, but I did some reading up on others with the same issue.

Rather than raising the tickover, I decided to lower the tickover. I know this introduces a risk of stalling and cutting out but it hasn't cut out once yet. The OEM tickover is set at about 903rpm. You can get away with you can get away with 819rpm, but I'm currently at 840rpm. You can also set it so it jumps between the two, I'm guessing that might be based on temperature? Dunno, I just let VAG-COM decide.

It is perfectly smooth now. Very quiet, hardly vibrates at all now. There's almost no vibration through the steering wheel which was particularly nasty usually. I set it back to OEM at lunch today and it was really unpleasant to sit in, which makes me wonder how I ignored it for so long.

This might be a dirty but simple solution to this problem. I've not noticed any issues with hesitation either, so I think this is the way to go. If anyone wants any help on this let me know.

Might be interested in this myself, again I know its for a polo 1.9sdi engine not a 1.7 but im sure its a similar method might help. Are you using a full Rosstech vag com or the lite version ?

It's an activated VCDS-Lite as opposed to a 409.1 which are only really useful for scanning I believe. Do you have a cable ? I can walk you through if you do, or if you're close by I'd happily help you.

I've got a no-brand ebay cable, its got 409.1 which can scan fine & has successfully done a ThrottleBody adjustment using the following guide (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/throttlebody.html) but I guess that altering actual numerical values would require VCDS-Lite?

I live in Salford so not too far, but a bit of a basic walkthrough would be great if you could. I'm sure the polo SDI engine I have will have its idle value at different blocks than the lupo SDI engine so I'll have to do some digging / research first.

Much thanks :D

I actually work in Wilmslow, so I'm even closer than you think.

That said, you might be able to do it with a 409.1 cable. Can you do proper adaptations? I never know what you can and can't do with the fuil and free version.

OK, so a quick walkthrough, start the engine before you connect up all your gear (gives it a bit of time to warm up), connect it all up and double check it's working. View the Engine section of the main window. You don't have to login to change the tickover settings if I remember rightly, I think it's one of the only ones you don't need to login for in fact so if you're not on the correct channel, it will just read Error.

Click Adaptations, Switch up to Channel 2. The Stock Value as noted from my Lupo is 32768 which corresponds to 903 RPM. There should be an RPM read out, so double check that says 903. If it doesn't read 32768, I would note it down.

You can either enter the value manually (higher = higher tickover, lower = lower tickover), or use the arrows to go up or down... or my favourite trick is to hold the up/down button on my keyboard, then you will actually feel it getting smoother and you can stop when you're happy. Luckily, you cannot enter a value too low, as VCDS overrides you with the lowest value your car can handle, same for entering a value too high.

I forget what the lowest value is for the Lupo, but it's something like 32650 or something like that. I found that was a bit too low for my liking, so I settled on 32683 which was the highest value before I felt a change in vibration intensity (there wasn't much change between 32650 and 32683).

You should click Save at the bottom to confirm the change, however I found when I did it that it saved automatically and the Save button was greyed out, so it's possible that the older ECU's don't support Test Mode Settings.

Report back how you get on.

• Like 1

woop woop, Yeah the 409.1 install works fine after doing a little bit of adHoc scripting to stop it from recognising the cables licence :shifty:

Not had time to fully "tune" the best RPM but I jsut dropped the value of "32768" down to "32708" then clicked "test" which gave me an idle speed of 880rpm ish :)

Reset it back to default and Will have more of a play when I get chance, might see if I can do anti hijack whilst i'm at it!

Much thanks in advance and I will let you know how it goes further, this brief guide should definitely get stickied !

• 1 year later...

Think I might well give this a go, the tractor-esque vibrations at tick over are starting to grate slightly :ph34r:

Now to find someone locally who has access to  VAG-COM ....

@Skezza, how many miles have you been running for with the lower base idle setting now, and how do you find it effects cold morning starting/running? Also, have you reached the magic 200k mile threshold yet? 

19 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Think I might well give this a go, the tractor-esque vibrations at tick over are starting to grate slightly :ph34r:

Now to find someone locally who has access to  VAG-COM ....

@Skezza, how many miles have you been running for with the lower base idle setting now, and how do you find it effects cold morning starting/running? Also, have you reached the magic 200k mile threshold yet? 

Rich will have a VCDS, no doubt. It'll take you no longer than 5 minutes to do this. Plug it in, switch to engine, adaptations, Channel 2, GO. Just remember to note down the initial value, in case you do have any problems or decide you prefer it. I've had none though. The ECU is a bit smarter than people give it credit though.

Tough question how long I've had it running like that, but bear in mind, I wrote that tutorial post in September of 2014, so nearly 2 years ago. I do roughly 25k miles a year, and I would imagine I actually changed the setting months before I wrote the post, so it could easily be 50k+ miles ago. I've owned the car for 78k miles I think and it wasn't the first thing I did but it was certainly one of the earlier discoveries I made when hacking around with it.

No difference to cold morning starting at all. You're simply changing the tickover (or technically idle RPM), so there's absolutely no reason it would affect the cold starts. SDI Lupo's are insanely good at starting, assuming the injection pump is good etc. Not entirely sure why they're so good tbh. I don't even wait for the glow plugs anymore. I just get in and turn the key, all year round, bang it starts first time. Maybe it's just mine. 

As for running, well despite being an old and rough, the ECU is still smart enough to detect a cold start (although I doubt this changes much between seasons). Basically, an early morning start, the car will inject a bit more diesel to compensate for the fact it's not warm, so the tickover will be a tad higher, this is auto adjusted by the ECU so nothing you have to think about, but I'm guessing this is just a standard all year round thing. No running issues though, no extra stalling or any problems like that. The coldest day of the year last year, it started fine and idled normally. The quality of fuel will impact more on the starting of your car than the tickover, and once the car is warm the ECU will adjust back to the setting you've made.

As a seasoned diesel driver though, I always recommend you drive straight from turning the key. None of this waiting around before the engine warms up. I totally get that with a petrol, but it doesn't do a diesel any good and can actually cause injector coking.

I really do suggest this modification though. I promise you will not regret it and it's vital if you want a pleasant driving experience from the SDI.

On 28/06/2016 at 7:33 PM, JoeyEunos said:

Top advice, thanks mate. Alongside a proper diesel purge this is 100% on my 'to do' list.

To be honest, doing this will make a bigger difference to your driving experience than a diesel purge. However, a purge will unlock some lost bhp and will clear any early signs of injector coking.