Electrical Problem and now the dials wont work :(

Hi there

I am having a problem with my electrics at the moment. My car somehow had the battery drained but the only things i had done electronically was having a new radio put in (took the wires out of the old one and put them in the new one) and putting a cigarette lighter in because the last owner took it out.

I took it to a garage and they said that the alternater was charging and the battery was taking the charge and my dials were working fine at this point but i took the negative connector off the battery just to make sure it didnt die (I had to drive back home that day for 2 hours :P ) but when i reconnected it, the dials wont work properly.

The petrol dial will go from 0 to near full and stay there when the electrics are put on, the temp gauge is stuck at the top, the handbrake light stays on along with the battery light and the rev and speed dials wont work either. The light for the dials wont come on when i put the headlights on either. The time started at 0:00 but is changing and the mileage part just comes up with a few random lines.

Has anyone had this problem with the dials and been able to sort this? and does this sound like there is a power drain?

Well first of it, remove the radio and check you wired it correctly!

Usually swapping the Red to Red & Yellow to Yellow, needs to be Red to Yellow, there is also sometimes a blue/white lead which needs cutting as it drains your battery.

Although not nessary you should buy the PC2694 lead as it's plug and play but then adding bulk.

So, remove your radio, then remove all leads from battery for around 30 mins, plug the terminals back in and see how things go.

Then if all well, plug your radio back in, if problems re-appear then you know it's your radio