Drivers Door Lock - Broken

Bimp

Hi!

Help appreciated - my drivers door won't unlock from the outside, the key just turns aimlessly in the lock. It does open from the inside though using the handle.
Took the door card off and this was lying in there:
YXqaHAN.jpg

Now I'm no sherlock but I would suspect there's a connection!
Any ideas?

Lupo 1.0 SE petrol 2000

That's the bit that joins the lock barrel to the lock mechanism, it looks badly degraded so I don't know what condition the other parts are going to be in. You can buy a "lock repair kit" on eBay that includes the part above and there are instructions for disassembling the lock mechanism on youtube. You'll want to take the lock barrel out, see what condition it is in. If the rest looks okay buy they lock repair kit. If the barrel is also rusted you might need a whole new one.

• Like 1

This is the sort of kit I mean:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PASSAT-LUPO-AROSA-LEON-TOLEDO-DOOR-LOCK-CYLINDER-REPAIR-KIT-FRONT-RIGHT-LEFT-/230942907645?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ALupo&hash=item35c5451cfd

I don't know if that one is any good or not. I bought one that was brass coloured and the parts didn't fit very well.Maybe the steel coloured one is better, I don't know.

• Like 1

I did it!!
Well, almost. Still sitting outside soaking in WD40 because it's a little stiff. I don't think it'll last forever so a new lock may be something I have to do in the future.
I used these 2 guides.
http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/63460-how-to-de-lock-the-lupo-with-genuine-vw-parts/

New kit with the bits pulled from lock beside it. Very very corroded!

FzIjmKB.jpg

Scrap that success story!
Went to put it back into the door. Put my key in to lock it, it all fell apart in the door and now after fishing the bits out, I'm back to square one!
Will try once more.

Wd40 is not a penetrating fluid. Water displacement 40. If it's seized you need to use something like plus gas or even diesel.

The assembly fell apart, I know now what I'd done wrong but I cannot for the life of me get the spring to do what it's supposed to.
Giving up for now. My hands are sore and bloody. Also seem to have knackered the plastic external cover for the lock so need to order a new one of those.

The spring is definitely the hardest part. If the lock part is in good condition carry on with it. If you bought a new one you would have to take it apart to make it fit your old key anyway.

Use some thick gloves. Some people put the spring in before the bit that goes on top and some people put the top bit on first then try to squeeze the spring in and clip it underneath. There's no easy way I'm afraid.

I ordered a new lock last night, wasn't expensive at all.
I won't be disassembling the new lock - will be 2 keys for me!

I might have another fiddle with the repair kit tonight though, can't do any harm!

Failed again last night to put the assembly together but think I found the issue. The groove that part of the assembly sits in it badly corroded and when I turn the key, it slips out and bits of metal are launched everywhere. My friend is going to put the repair kit to good use on his Skoda.

rvifMBo.png

On the plus side - replacement lock arrived today and was really simple to install. Took 2 minutes (I don't have central locking).
The door isn't opening every time using the inside or outside handles though. I don't have to force it, but maybe one in every 5 times, the handles just don't do a thing. Odd indeed but far better than what it was like before!

Edited by Bimp
  • Like 1

The door isn't opening every time using the inside or outside handles though. I don't have to force it, but maybe one in every 5 times, the handles just don't do a thing. Odd indeed but far better than what it was like before!

try slackening off the plastic tab thing on a wire that goes into the outside handle, had this when i repaired my door lock, works fine now