Engine conversion ideas

Mattz341

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if anyone's done anything other than 1.8t swaps and the usual old stuff?

I was wondering how hard it would be to fit the new polo gti engine (1.4tfsi running 180ps) and it's gearbox?

That would be pretty cool IMO!

What do u guys think? Other than it being a hugely costly project considering its a brand new engine bla bla bla.

The only thing with the current Polo GTi is that it runs a DSG gearbox ONLY, so would be a huge task to fit, but not impossible. I have no idea if you could fit a manual box onto that engine, I would imagine you could though.....

Lupogtiboy, I'm sure it could be made to fit, although all cars are getting bigger so maybe it wouldn't... I'd love to have the whole DSG on the Lupo, that would be maaaad!!

Danny that would be such a shame if it is... I think someone with the funds should attempt it, lupogtiboy reckon you could get a quote for the engine? :P I'm thinking +6000 for the entire unit management system everything.

But its perfectly ok for you to mod your car?

I am thankful there are people out there with the balls to go crazy on a car, do whatever they see fit, makes the world a more interesting place to be. You could say the same about anything though, i.e computers, why do people bother spending thousands on modding them with watercooling their processors, mad graphics chips ect? I get along just fine with a bog-standard Dell and this piece of crap I'm using at work, it does what it says on the tin.

Mattz never said he was GOING to do something, he was just asking the question as to whether there was anything else other than the 1.8t engine we all know and love.

Just my 2p's worth :coffee:

Think there was an amazing Lupo a couple of months ago on the pvw cover. Had a 2.0 tfsi out of an edition30 golf in it. Unbelievable amount of work in that, custom front wings and bumper just for starters.

It used to be black, looks like a GTi even though it was originally a 1.0l! Even running Mk5 Anni dsg and dash!

I think you are missing the point of people doing this kind of thing, its about being unique, original and something that not many (if any) would attempt to do. Some people revel in the challenge that this presents to someone, the engineering and thought that goes into planning and actually doing something. It would be a pretty boring world if we all wanted the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with what Karl_Mac_ said, in most cases I'd agree that if you want a fast car, buy a fast car, but you proudly show in your sig that you have (or had) a Golf GTi with BBS LM's, Blueflame exhaust, airfilter and springs, so you clearly are trying to make your car faster, so why haven't you bought a faster car (tho I guess your currently driving does show a focus st!) Please don't take this personally as that's not my intention, everyone is welcome to their opinion and I know I've opened a massive can of worms here!

As I said, please nobody take this personally!!!

I think you are missing the point of people doing this kind of thing, its about being unique, original and something that not many (if any) would attempt to do. Some people revel in the challenge that this presents to someone, the engineering and thought that goes into planning and actually doing something. It would be a pretty boring world if we all wanted the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with what Karl_Mac_ said, in most cases I'd agree that if you want a fast car, buy a fast car, but you proudly show in your sig that you have (or had) a Golf GTi with BBS LM's, Blueflame exhaust, airfilter and springs, so you clearly are trying to make your car faster, so why haven't you bought a faster car (tho I guess your currently driving does show a focus st!) Please don't take this personally as that's not my intention, everyone is welcome to their opinion and I know I've opened a massive can of worms here!

As I said, please nobody take this personally!!!

I still have the ST. Its running stage 2+ (330hp and 440lb/ft). It only cost me £1500 to increase my power by over 30%.

To get 300hp out of a Lupo? £5k min doing all the work yourself? It'll then handle like a complete turd.

JBS quoted £8k for a roll in/roll out 250hp Lupo. For that same money just look at what you can buy.

I enjoy modding, but each car should stick to what they're good at. lupo's are funky little city cars, theres no shame in that.

Golf GTI is not a fast car, so the mods are phrely cosmetic to emphasise what it has.

Edited by Karl_Mac_
  • Like 2

Disagree in some ways. A 240z with a VQ yes please. A lupo with any engine meh. I can impress my mates down an halfords and "race" people with faster cars but thats boring. When it's just me and a good road I'm still driving a pig of a car. It won't handle great and will torque steer everywhere because it wasn't made for that.

Original so why does EVERYONE stick a 1.8t in? Stickerbombing, stickering the window, roof stickers, the Hawaiian thing around the mirror etc etc. People do this to be "unique" but they are all just copying each other.

The lupo is a FWD car. It's not even a good one, well in performance terms. Handling is shocking compared to a 106. When I was young like you I wanted to supercharge my sport. I'm glad I didn't. it would be crap. I bet you that.

• 4 weeks later...

I've deleted the posts that contribute nothing (although apologies to lupogtiboy whose posts now lack a bit of context).

It's a perfectly legitimate question that doesn't deserve the childish responses.

Disagree in some ways. A 240z with a VQ yes please. A lupo with any engine meh. I can impress my mates down an halfords and "race" people with faster cars but thats boring. When it's just me and a good road I'm still driving a pig of a car. It won't handle great and will torque steer everywhere because it wasn't made for that.

Original so why does EVERYONE stick a 1.8t in? Stickerbombing, stickering the window, roof stickers, the Hawaiian thing around the mirror etc etc. People do this to be "unique" but they are all just copying each other.

The lupo is a FWD car. It's not even a good one, well in performance terms. Handling is shocking compared to a 106. When I was young like you I wanted to supercharge my sport. I'm glad I didn't. it would be crap. I bet you that.

I've deleted the posts that contribute nothing (although apologies to lupogtiboy whose posts now lack a bit of context).

It's a perfectly legitimate question that doesn't deserve the childish responses.

all posts that have no contribution expect D blocks where he slags off everyone who sticks 1/8t engines in?

do it dare to be different i know I've got a 1.8t lupo it gives you head aches once and a while but thats part of the fun.

some times i do regret converting mine as there are a few things you loose drivability wise

if you have any questions give me a message and ill try and give you some answers one thing its expensive no matter how

cheap you buy parts for if you cut corners it will bite you on the arse for it

matt

do it dare to be different i know I've got a 1.8t lupo it gives you head aches once and a while but thats part of the fun.

some times i do regret converting mine as there are a few things you loose drivability wise

if you have any questions give me a message and ill try and give you some answers one thing its expensive no matter how

cheap you buy parts for if you cut corners it will bite you on the arse for it

matt

I had a golf 1.8T and yes they arnt the cheapest of engines!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if anyone's done anything other than 1.8t swaps and the usual old stuff?

I was wondering how hard it would be to fit the new polo gti engine (1.4tfsi running 180ps) and it's gearbox?

That would be pretty cool IMO!

What do u guys think? Other than it being a hugely costly project considering its a brand new engine bla bla bla.

Don't waste your time mate the 1.4 tsi is almost as bad as a citron their crap it's like their built out of cheese verry fickle engines that only a few people other than vw can work on so much so the motor factors don't even supply parts for them so you have to take them to vw for parts and work done. The 2.0's are a bit better but still prone to issues that involve full rebuilds