SDi EGR valve cleaning

Hello,

Over the last couple of thousand miles, my SDi has felt as though it is surging when on the motorway. It almost feels as if the power comes in then goes again, but only at 54mph. I've watched the sat-nav when this happens and it may move by 0.1mph but nothing more than that. It's a very odd feeling.

I've been searching on here and discovered it could be the EGR valve that needs to be cleaned. The car is now on 191,000 miles and I've had it since it was on 25,000 and it's never been done, so perhaps now is the time.

I have a couple of questions though for the people who have undertaken this job:

• Please could you show me where the EGR valve is?
  • Is it worth putting Redex fuel system cleaner into the tank and giving it a blast to fix the problem?

Thank-you everyone :)

I own the TDI version Arosa, cleaning the EGR got rid of my hesitance in 5 gear at 35-40mph and has improved my mpg. I also chucked in some Redex diesel, some will say it doesn't work, but from my personal experience it improved my mpg.

I also chucked in some Redex diesel, some will say it doesn't work, but from my personal experience it improved my mpg.

Thanks. I bought a bottle of Redex fuel system cleaner this evening. I need to put half the bottle in with the next full tank. With an SDi, it can be a long wait until the tank is empty :rolleyes:

Does redex even work? Surely the best way is to do a proper diesel purge. It isn't that hard and has proven results.

Does redex even work? Surely the best way is to do a proper diesel purge. It isn't that hard and has proven results.

Diesel purge is only a injector cleaner. 2stroke will clean and lube the fuel pump, injectors and engine. It won't clean like diesel purge for ghe injectors.

Diesel purge is only a injector cleaner. 2stroke will clean and lube the fuel pump, injectors and engine. It won't clean like diesel purge for ghe injectors.

I thought 2 stroke would leave soot

Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Last night I put in half a bottle of Redex fuel cleaner when I filled the tank and then I had 'spirited' drive home. I gave her an Italian tune-up and held her in gear for much longer than normal. I certainly wasn't driving economically. I'm pleased to say that the surging has already gone but I'll keep you updated on if it returns.

Incidentally, returning to my original question, please could someone tell me how I would go about dismantling the EGR valve so that it can be serviced?

Thank-you :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been about two weeks since I posted my question so I thought I'd best give an update.

As I've never messed with the EGR valve before, I was apprehensive. So I filled her up with Esso's diesel (instead of Asda's) and put in half a bottle of Redex fuel cleaner. I drove as if my hair was on fire and held her at higher revs than usual. Instantly she felt more eager and as the miles went by, she felt more lively. Today I refilled the tank (and put in the other half bottle of Redex) and I can report that the surging has completely gone. I'll stick with Esso's diesel and if the surging returns when driving economically, I'll then look at removing the EGR valve. For the time being though, it seems that all she needed was a good blast.

Thanks again for your help and advice :thumbsup:

I really have no idea how redex works but it sounds as though it's simply a bit like diesel purge. Good stuff anyway.