VW Lupo - goodbye to an old friend?

sandybeach08

I bought my VW Lupo new in 2002. I can't say I've kept her in tiptop condition. She has lots of scratches, lumps and bumps, loose sun visors, worn upholstery, a broken manual window winder and that thing that holds the driver door open when fully extended went ages ago. She's done 160,000 miles without much complaining.

Now there's something wrong with the clutch, the pedal box or the gears. For a while she's been resisting changing gears, crunching when I try to change them and the pedal has almost disappeared from view... The clutch was tightened some time ago but this week I had to take her to be repaired again as she wasn't going anywhere without a fight. The mechanic said it was something about a plastic clip that holds the clutch pedal - or something. He welded it but after a day she is making the same noises and resisting changing gears.

I went online and discovered that it is a common fault in Lupo's, but given the fact she is 12+ years old with a large mileage I daren't go back to the dealers for compensation because I don't want them to laugh at me.

She has now gone back to the garage for a new pedal box and a few other connected things. Mechanic says work will cost £500 approx.

The thing is, everyone says, "Sell it and buy another".

I say, "I'd like to keep this very lovable, economical car forever as long as it isn't going to cost me a fortune every so often."

Should I keep her??? :confused:

Similar situation to my Arosa Sport, I bought it cheaply because it is internally and externally mint but despite having replaced the pedal box & clutch cable the gear change is at the limit of the clutch travel so my guess I need to replace the clutch. It will be worth it. :wave: