Rosa the TDI Daily

Ant0889

Hello all,

Recently purchased this as my daily commuter.

Its a 2002 1.4TDI Arosa with 142000 on the clock and a stack of paperwork.

20140620_080817.jpg

She's had 7 owners, some had taken care of her but the previous owner was a student who clearly couldnt drive.

The damage to Rosa was -

• Dented and scratched passenger wing, passenger door and rear quarter panel.
  • Cracked front bumper,grills and number plate
  • All the brackets on both headlights were snapped or broken
  • The bonnet was bent and creased (with added rust)
  • The bonnet release cable was snapped.
  • Reverse light didnt work
  • Had one red and one black rear light.
  • Some odd coke stains all over the interior
  • Cracked fiberglass slam panel.
  • passengers window regulator and motor replaced with a bit of wood!!! seriously who does this!!
  • window switches not working.
  • central locking tempermental
  • drivers manual wing mirror adjuster missing.

Most would of turned away but for £790 i could see the potential, the engine was perfect for my needs.

So i rang a few scrappies and the nearest with the right colour and the right parts was in stoke-on-trent! 5 hours from me! so i loaded up the missus's golf and went on the journey for two headlights, a bonnet, window regulator and motor bumper and grills, drivers wing mirror and black rear drivers light. All those parts came to £270 all in which i didnt think was bad! Also managed to score the window switches for free and a cd-less headunit for £12.

Saw this awesome sculpture whilst we were there too, made of hay bails and must stand at least 20 metres tall. Couldn't get close to it though!

20140607_125015.jpg

so i fitted the bits, fixed the reverse light (snapped wires near reverse switch), cleaned the interior and did a service(fuel filter,oil,oil filter,cabin filter)

I also had the cambelt, noisy tensioner and water pump replaced for £350.

So she now stands as the photos below show.

20140620_080817.jpg

20140620_080847.jpg

20140620_081024.jpg

i put Kurust on the bare metal, and brush painted over the scratches just to hide the dent till i get it fixed properly one day

20140620_080900.jpg

ive also added a few parts to neaten her up.

crystal wing indicators with chrome bulbs

20140620_080835.jpg

aero wipers and re-painted the wiper arms as they were more corrosion than paint.

20140620_081038.jpg

silvervision chrome indicator bulbs to get rid of the egg yolk look.

20140620_080826.jpg

headunit and cupholder

20140620_080955.jpg

led interior light

20140620_081010.jpg

polo rear wiper arm and blade

20140620_080925.jpg

Future plans are -

1. EGR delete
  2. Diffrent air filter routing and box
  3. Catch can
  4. Stubby aerial
  5. Fit a universal remote central locking kit
  6. Remap
  7. Some sort of diffrent alloy wheels
  8. possibly lowering

cheers for looking!

Anthony

Edited by Ant0889

not really, atm, thinking interior and speakers but dont know. any advice is always welcome on how to improve these little beasts!

the keys never worked as far as i can tell, tried three diffrent brands of batteries and cleaned it out to no luck.

i dont want to spend the £80 ish that seat want to recode and check the central locking system.

so paid £8 for a remote central locking kit, and will wire that up instead.

cheers

Anthony

This is my old Arosa TDi, I had it for about 2.5 years, take a look at my then readers rides page:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/24133-cardaft-is-back/?hl=cardaft

I bought it with the reg L9 MPG and the reg stayed with me for a while after I sold the Arosa, which then went back to its original reg, SA02 GOJ.

As you'll see from the thread above, I fitted cruise control to it while it was in my ownership. Does it still have this? Is it still working?

Its a real shame to learn that it has gone downhill over the years, glad to see you're on the way to restoring it. I have pictures saved of it when it was for sale on autotrader a couple of years ago, looked smart then. It also only had the centre grill chrome ring (which I added, but now seems to have the set).

As you'll see from my thread, I bought it with 26,000 miles and sold it with roughtly 60,000 miles. It proved a great car for me and I had very few problems with it. I kept up with servicing every 6-7K back then, though its seen a few miles since I sold it!

I didn't ever modify it, just subtle things like the Polo rear wiper, Polo gearknob, etc.

I got it from Kilmarnock, Scotland, its certainly been around!

Looking forward to seeing its updates with you ...

Edited by cardaft

pkrboo - im going to try and repair the airbox, as the cars been in a front impact and has punched a fist sized hole in the airbox, hence my reasoning for changing the filter setup.

cardaft - Brilliant thanks for the link! its nice to hear from the one of the previous owners! I had a butchers through your thread, didn't realise you fitted the cruise control, thank you its been brilliant, and yes still works as it should! funnily the previous owner I bought it off was under the impression it was a showroom/test car as he'd never seen another Arosa with cruise control fitted haha

I was trying to figure out why there was a number plate retention letter in the mountain of paperwork I had, thank you for clearing that up!

Also it appears you were the last owner to truly care for the car, the cam belt hadn't been changed since 65000 (now on 142000)

I was trying to figure out why the gear gaiter and knob were different to ones id seen in the other Arosas id looked at! still looks as good since the day you fitted it! cheers.

thank you fella, if you want any info on the car just let me know!

I'm hoping to keep this thread relatively well updated!

I had a feeling it was the same car! I tipped cardaft off about this, although I wasn't 100% sure it was the same car as the SEAT branded number plates threw me. Maybe another owner fitted those. Good to hear the cruise control is still working ;)

Also it appears you were the last owner to truly care for the car, the cam belt hadn't been changed since 65000 (now on 142000)

Someone was pushing their luck :blink:

cardaft - Brilliant thanks for the link! its nice to hear from the one of the previous owners! I had a butchers through your thread, didn't realise you fitted the cruise control, thank you its been brilliant, and yes still works as it should! funnily the previous owner I bought it off was under the impression it was a showroom/test car as he'd never seen another Arosa with cruise control fitted haha

I was trying to figure out why there was a number plate retention letter in the mountain of paperwork I had, thank you for clearing that up!

I was trying to figure out why the gear gaiter and knob were different to ones id seen in the other Arosas id looked at! still looks as good since the day you fitted it! cheers.

thank you fella, if you want any info on the car just let me know!

I'm hoping to keep this thread relatively well updated!

The guy I sold it to wanted it for cummuting as his Signum 2.2 was heavy on fuel. I'm not sure how long they had it but I have seen it for sale at least twice since I sold it. I think I was the third owner.

Yes, the cruise is probably still quite unique on Arosa TDis but they are almost set up to have cruise control. I've had it fitted to my current commuter, a 6n2 Polo TDi too.

I had the cambelt done when I got the car as it was 4 years old, so that will have been around 26,000 miles. Its done well to go from 65,000 to 140,000 without breaking!

Yeah, the gearknob was a big improvement, the original Arosa ones are not nice to use. I still have its original somewhere.

I really liked that little Arosa and until recently it was the longest I had ever owned a car. I liked it so much that I bought another Arosa TDi, again a black one and from Scotland too (probably in that thread I'd think) but it wasn't as good a car as this one was.

Looking forward to seeing your updates :thumbsup:

I had a feeling it was the same car! I tipped cardaft off about this, although I wasn't 100% sure it was the same car as the SEAT branded number plates threw me. Maybe another owner fitted those. Good to hear the cruise control is still working ;)

Someone was pushing their luck :blink:

the number plate was a new one from seat, as the last one was split and cracked from the front impact it had.

and yes the previous 3 owners obviously wern't to worried about the belts snapping! but im rather impressed it did 77K on one belt!

so i wimped out!

i wanted to get a good idea of how my mpg is, but i wimped out when the fuel light came on!

so i did 361.1 miles on 28.730 litres @ £1.349 = £38.76 giving me a miles per gallon of 57.14!

rather chuffed with that!

sad little update i know!

• Like 2

On Wednesday i fitted remote central locking to the Arosa, as mine had never worked off the fob and i didnt fancy paying the £80 Seat wanted to code and check the fob.

so i purchased a cheap kit off ebay for the grand sum of £8.05.

arrived in a jiffy bag with no instructions, so a few emails and i had the internet link for the instructions.

20140622_131707.jpg

so with instructions inhand i attacked the kit wiring to figure out what i needed.

• 2 x purple wires = indicators.
  • 1 x red wire = 12+
  • 1 x black wire = 12-/earth
  • 1 x yellow wire = up
  • 1 x brown wire = down
  • 1 x pink wire = window auto close
  • 1 x yellow/black = common wire
  • 1 x blue =common wire

Following the instructions above ment i had a few wires i didnt need, so using a point driver i pressed the little retaining clips in on the multiplug to slide the wires out. This way i can save them incase i ever have to transfer this kit to another car.

20140622_132007.jpg20140622_131921.jpg

i then labelled all my wires.

20140622_132100.jpg

then as i wasn't sure whether up was lock or down was lock i had a nose inside the black box and luckily written on the PCB were the words lock and unlock. brill!

20140622_133615.jpg

20140622_133631.jpg

so using this guide i managed to get it all wired up as the pics below show.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/95538-how-to-fitting-aftermarket-remote-central-locking-step-by-step-photos/

bonnet handle off

20140625_125626.jpg

20140625_125638.jpg

repaired my wobbly bonnet release handle

20140625_125819.jpg

20140625_125837.jpg

battery disconnected

20140625_130517.jpg

my earth point above the handle

20140625_133413.jpg

the plugs and wires i needed to tap into

20140625_131132.jpg

20140625_131536.jpg

20140625_132745.jpg

20140625_132202.jpg

tapped into the green/black and white black wires in the red 7 pin plug under the steering column to get my indicators to flash.

20140625_145453.jpg

20140625_150609.jpg

so i wired everything in and i can lock/unlock my car from a distance! YAY! also wired in the window close feature, which is great if you forget to close your windows regularly.. :P

Edited by Ant0889

so a few problems have arisen lately.

• depending on the gear im in and the speed im doing, theres a judder under acceleration.
  • the shudder when turning the car off is getting worse, and seems to be doing it when i start it now.

i hoping a good clean of the EGR and ASV may help, ive also chucked some diesel redex in, hoping that may help.

ive searched for Anti-shudder valve on the forum, but there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer to cure it.

anyone have any advice?

i got my old man to turn the car off whilst i watched the ASV last night. it is working but seems very sluggish, juddery in operation. im going to strip off the egr soon and give it a good clean, im hoping that on 143000 its just so full of crap, its restricting its operation.

i do however have a feeling it might be mounts, but until i get it on the ramp at work i wont know.

so finally got the car on the ramp at work.

i stripped off the egr, i may say that whoever designed the bolt locations for that was a wnkr!

excuse the crap pics, i was so thrilled i managed to get the thing off that i was obviously shaking haha

20140708_105616.jpg

20140708_105621.jpg

so yeh full of gung! i cleaned it in the parts washer, and with the help of brake cleaner got the stubborn bits off.

i wish id taken some after photos, but it was a shame to put a nice clean part back on :(

also rebalanced the front wheels to eliminate them from my steering wobble and pikey fixed the OS driveshaft inner cvboot as it had popped off, spraying grease everywhere.. hurrah for massive cable ties.

Edited by Ant0889

TDI owners...... Clean your EGR!!

what a change!

I can now pull happily in 5 from 35-40mph, whereas before it wouldn't have any of it.

drives so much smoother, no judder or unusual behaviour!

only negative I can say about doing this is the time it takes to do it and how filthy you can get cleaning it!

also the steering wobble has gone after rebalancing the wheels... happy chappy! :)

so today I finally got round to doing my air box repair.

I was told when buying the car it had been in a light front end shunt, so I replaced the headlights etc,etc, however when I did I noticed the gaping hole in the air box where the headlight had punched through on impact.

so today I finally repaired the hole, as Seat dealers wanted £50+ for the box, which couldn't justify seeing as I could repair it.

I also cleaned out the MAF and MAF housing screen/filter as it was coated in dead insects

pics...

The hole

20140715_1500531.jpg

Dremeling the edges and cracks

20140715_152854.jpg

20140715_150715.jpg

20140715_150722.jpg

I then plastic repaired the hole using a bumper repair kit from work, I didn't get any pictures as its filth work; didn't want to damage my camera but here's an after shot.

20140715_154623.jpg

20140715_160741.jpg

and the filthy MAF before cleaning

20140715_150116.jpg

cheers