Laura's Lupo

tiggy

Hello all, joined up a while ago but was on the hunt for the Lupo at the time, so I've just been lurking on here. Been searching 6 months for a Lupo that ticked all of my boxes, we don't have a great selection of them in Ireland, but last week this little fella was purchased.

ScreenShot2014-06-18at001528_zpsabc26f7c

Its a 1.0L Fantasia green Lupo, with power steering! Currently fixing a few little niggles it has, should be on the road soon enough :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been doing a few bits to the new little one, in short;
- Interior clean
- Driver door lock repaired
- Front bumper & headlamp tidied
- Headunit, well not fixed but I have sound back in both speakers

While I've been away the small hole in the exhaust has been welded and a new alternator belt is being purchased. I've booked it in for test for friday week, fingers crossed it'll pass, I don't see what it could fail on really! Now pictures, cause everybody loves pictures :)

IMAG1345_zps45eafa75.jpg

First was a good clean to the interior, which was full of glass, hair, food, rubbish and many many hair grips. The seat were discoloured but a quick going over with the seat cleaner brought them back to life.

IMAG1348_zps4371825a.jpg

There was a shed load of make-up stains left on the inside of the car, the worst place was the steering wheel, petrol was the only thing that would remove it...

IMAG1349_zps1bcc7f86.jpg

IMAG1344_zps15e3967e.jpg

Next up was the headunit, I wasn't getting any sound in my drivers side speaker, I couldn't find any broken wires so I removed the headunit and it appear that the little unit at the back where all the wires plug in has something broken inside of it, beyond my technical ability at the moment so we ran a wire from the passenger side speaker into the drivers one, I've sound in both for now.

IMAG1393_zps7bef2531.jpg

My drivers door lock wasn't working so I ordered a repair kit from ebay for a few €€, it took me ages to get the door lock out, I mean ages, it quite fiddly, I replaced door locks on both the mk2 and mk3 with no bother. The new lock dosen't spring back after you lock the door, I'm blaming my purchase of a cheap spurious part, but it does work.

IMAG1367_zpsefacce1c.jpg

The previous owners were not "car" people so zero tinkering has been done to little loop which is great, theres no rounded screws, shoddy repairs or botched wiring, I was the first person to take those door cards off.

IMAG1370_zpsdf140f89.jpg

Next up was the front wing/bumper, it didnt come like that, that picture is after we loosened everything. At some stage it rubbed off something and was a little well, mis-shapen if thats a word ( I'm sure it's not), so will undid a few screws and just had to pull the wing out a bit to get rid of its small dent. Somebody had created a home made bracket for the p/s headlight which had left it sitting higher than the other one, some adjustments were made and the light now sits where it should, and the front is looking pretty neat, just a few scratches to deal with.

Finally heres a better picture of it,

IMAG1337_zps5e4e04fc.jpg

It's the tidy stuff that matter the most. I like the color, really adds up to car's character!

Keep up the good work.

Colour makes it, yeah I want to get it looking pretty good standard before I do anything to it, both cosmetically and mechanically.

do like that green! never miss that in a car park, perhaps remove the side trims on the doors?

The side trims will be coming off, just want to get it tested and stuff first :)

• 4 weeks later...

Today was spent cleaning, these arrived earlier in the week
IMG_20140716_134622_zps1f57feee.jpg

There was a build up of what I describe as city dirt or grime all over the car, I had washed and clayed it last week, which did very little. After getting some advice from on here I got started with some new cleaning products, which turned out to be pretty effectiveIMG_20140719_152957_zpsf929171e.jpg!

I started with chemical Guys all purpose cleaner, which isn't half bad and removed the markings around the bumpstrips and windows, and some tar as well. Ironx was next, that really did a great job, I could have used another coat of it on the bonnet but I'm happy enough with it for now. I gave the car a wash and dried it off, at this point I had intended to clay it but I had done that last week and didn't want to do it again, so petrol was produced to remove some remaining tar spots and into the shed it went for further treatment.

I used Meguires scratch x which worked pretty good on isolated blemishes and scratches, however its too hard to work it all over the car by hand. I still don't have a DA polisher, so I didn't do anything about the swirls, it won't be going to any shows this summer so I'll worry about them later on. Next was a thin coat of Turtle wax wax followed by Autoglyms sealant, same thing twice but I find it more effective and long lasting than either one on its own.

That's it then, the trim got some Meguires trim restorer, which is great stuff by the way, worked wonders on the Golf. Tomorrow I'll clean a few inside bits and the glass. Taxed it too, will do a few more bits and bobs over the next few weeks, won't do anything major till I'm finished with college.

Here it is all clean
IMG_20140719_195833_zpsb5653fb7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This was todays fun, I'll figuring you'll spot whats missing...

IMG_20140806_174945_zps2c699e3f.jpg

Bumpstrips are easy to remove, the adhesive that holds them on not so much so, took me a while to get it all cleaned up. Theres a slight difference in colour in the paint that was under the adhesive, apparently a machine polish should sort that, its very slight so it won't bother me for the time being

• 4 weeks later...

Looks 10x better. Without the bump strips

damn! looking cleeeeeeeeeaan!

Thanks guys :)

Few bits done, nothing major just some fun stuff :)

Lupostuff_zps59a01f4c.jpg

Have a few little niggly bits to sort out over the next few weeks, door handle, rev counter, cup holders, windscreen and radio.

still to see one of these in this colour :)

gotta love a fantasia green loop pure fun

looks awesome

Thanks guys, I'm having a lot of fun with this car!

Did this yesterday, also cleaning the door shuts/jams with some APC

IMG_20140912_152925_zpsf4040fbb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

loving the green 8)

It is Funky!

Nothing major to report, small bit more sticker bombing. Having trouble finding my Borbets, everything is either sold, too far away or sellers are impossible to get in contact with, maybe I'm not meant to mod this car at all ha :P

Having some issues with the electrics. Sometimes when my wipers are on, as they're going up my speedo needle drops, as the wipers return to they're starting point my speedo needle returns to whatever speed I'm doing. Also when I use my indicator or wiper stalk I get various lights on the dash lighting up for a second. We this the speedo/wiper issue is a loose earth and the stalk issues is a connection problem, trial and error will fix it I guess.

Pics below of sticker bombing, and of little loop with the mk3 & mk2.

IMG_20150214_164718_zps7ceaadb4.jpg

IMG_20150214_125128_zps54eae3d0.jpg

• 4 months later...

Update time I suppose! Nothing too exciting but anyway :)

Since the last time I updated this;

- Oil + Oil Filter

- New Radio ( Sony x-plod )

- New speaker ( Passenger side, oem one was goosed )

- Timing Belt + Water Pump

- New head Gasket + Head Skimmed

- Oil + Oil Filter ( again ha )

- Cleaned the engine bay as it was dirty dirty

I'll be changing the fuel filter in it in the coming weeks, it has its NCT ( MOT ) on Friday and it'll be getting a new pressure plate / Clutch as well.
I've ordered lowering springs ( FK ,50mm), as you can imagine after the above the funds are depleted so coilovers went out the window, and I also bought another Golf. A set of banded 14" Vento steel wheels will be its new shoes. On the look out for cup holders and a roof rack also.

Picked up a set of clocks for it today as I'm having issues with the set that's in it.

That's it for now, mostly maintenance so no pics! When the fun bits arrive I'll throw up pics :)

This old cars always have some work to be done...my arosa was used by my grandma and car was in need of some good TLC and I still have some plans...so have fun working on your Lupo and drive it as much as you can...the colour really is funky haha...:)

This old cars always have some work to be done...my arosa was used by my grandma and car was in need of some good TLC and I still have some plans...so have fun working on your Lupo and drive it as much as you can...the colour really is funky haha... :)

I love working on it :) Its a very basic car so good to learn on!

Forgot to mention it also got new valve oil seals, it passed its NCT today too :)

New clocks for the dash were useless, wrong ones for my Lupo ( Lupo must be non-canbus, rev counter didn't work and it through up a load of lights ), they cme out of a 6n2 polo :(

• 2 weeks later...

So springs came, said 50mm on the website but 40/55mm arrived to me, I'm assuming it 40mm for the Rear and 55 for the Front or is that wrong?

IMG_20150623_175427_zpsdkk93w34.jpg

They're pretty easy to fit, especially the rears, having said that I didn't put them in on my own, I only helped....
I've only done about 70miles with them but so far so good, obviously the rides a bit harsher that the standard set up but its sound. Back is a tad too high but once I put weight in the back it'd even out, instead of the car sitting on its back bumper.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-05%20at%2022.41.

Next is wheels, and start adding to the interior :)

Oh and as small as the boot is I can get a whole labrador in there ha

IMG_20150621_171659_zpshdyrsyxx.jpg