Induction Kits.

HalKK

Im looking a picking up an induction kit for my Gti but was just wondering whats the major differences between the cheaper ones and more expensive ones? Hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

Price.

Your welcome.

It could be fit, quality, usefulness and how much crap gets filterered. But it depends.

You might get one that does fit, is badly made and sucks up hot air with a filter medium that is useless. you might get a cheap one that is ok though.

Price.

Your welcome.

It could be fit, quality, usefulness and how much crap gets filterered. But it depends.

You might get one that does fit, is badly made and sucks up hot air with a filter medium that is useless. you might get a cheap one that is ok though.

right so your saying its not going to make that much difference?

right so your saying its not going to make that much difference?

While I'm sure me and Dblock will disagree on this again, it's going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever I assure you. They're a waste of bloody time unless you like the noise and for that, I still maintain you can get a decent sound from drilling your airbox pre-filter side. All they do is reduce the ability to filtrate dust and crap going into your engine, great eh?

If you are desperate to go "K 'n N innit" then I would be very wary of cheaper eBay filters. Proper K&N filters come pre-oiled, with the correct fitments and piping to make them work properly. Filters that aren't oiled are effectively useless and are filtering next to nothing. It's the oil that gives a K&N filter it's actual filtration properties and those held on by duct-tape are just ****.

I can't say for sure how good the gauze is on a cheaper air filter, but as they're pretty poor on a K&N filter I will happily say they're probably significantly worse. If it's just noise you're after, I really would recommend drilling your airbox pre-filter side. You can pick up a spare airbox for a few quid and then if you don't like it revert back but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

While I'm sure me and Dblock will disagree on this again, it's going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever I assure you. They're a waste of bloody time unless you like the noise and for that, I still maintain you can get a decent sound from drilling your airbox pre-filter side. All they do is reduce the ability to filtrate dust and crap going into your engine, great eh?

If you are desperate to go "K 'n N innit" then I would be very wary of cheaper eBay filters. Proper K&N filters come pre-oiled, with the correct fitments and piping to make them work properly. Filters that aren't oiled are effectively useless and are filtering next to nothing. It's the oil that gives a K&N filter it's actual filtration properties and those held on by duct-tape are just ****.

I can't say for sure how good the gauze is on a cheaper air filter, but as they're pretty poor on a K&N filter I will happily say they're probably significantly worse. If it's just noise you're after, I really would recommend drilling your airbox pre-filter side. You can pick up a spare airbox for a few quid and then if you don't like it revert back but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now I really disagree. The performance edge is gained by reducing filtering but keeping it at a decent level. More filtration less flow and less filtration more flow. More flow = more air = potential for more power.

The OEM filters aren't oiled nor are the Apexi ones. The Apexi one still rated top in filtetration test so that kinda makes that point. http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/index.html

Also performance increases. http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/390973-air-filter-shootout-test-results.html

Induction kits only work if the location of the filter is sensible and the inner bore of the induction pipe is smooth. Creating disturbances and vortexes is really bad for the engine.

I tried a few different induction kits on my Focus ST and they made a b

Induction kits only work if the location of the filter is sensible and the inner bore of the induction pipe is smooth. Creating disturbances and vortexes is really bad for the engine.

I tried a few different induction kits on my Focus ST and they made a big difference, but this was on a reasonably high power turbo car. I'm not overly convinced an induction kit on a 120-125ish bhp engine is worth it. Replace the filter element with a performance on and drill the air box pre filter.

MCM did a mythbusters that proved how ineffective an induction kit is, most of the time.

Those dyno results are pretty inconsistent as well. There's less power with no filter, than with two other filters? That doesn't make sense does it?

MCM did a mythbusters that proved how ineffective an induction kit is, most of the time.

Those dyno results are pretty inconsistent as well. There's less power with no filter, than with two other filters? That doesn't make sense does it?

I'm not saying its not 100% perfect but it is a guide. You could have no filter no exhaust and lose power. MCM's showed one car. ONE CAR.

Some Hondas have super clever boxes that change shaoe and size depending on RPM and throttle position. Why? Well smaller box means better torque and a good responce at low rpm. Floor it and the flaps opening meaning a bigger airbox and more power. Rip that our and put in an induction kit you will probably lose power and the good throttle responce etc. but most card don't have such clever air boxes. A lot of cars especially "performance" cars have to meet noise regulations in many different countries etc.

Am I saying the lupo is a performance car. No but my last 1.4 16v sport sounds amazing with the BMC on it and noticed no powerloss and a possible but it could be plaecebo possitjve effect at higher rpm.

Karl that's usually true but not always. I can remember reading this thread for a plenum for another car once. The original plenum had loads of dimples which people thought was bad casting as it was metal. It could have been bad casting. So they made this new one and smoothed it out etc. They lost power! Turns out the dimples where creating vortices and then they went into laminar flow and fluid dynamics. Why above what I know lol. But they summed it up saying the dimples work like the dimples on a golf ball. Not always the case I admit but it's not simple air flow etc. another one was apparently a 306mi-6 head had 1000's spent on it polishing ports and all the good headwork. It lost power. Again im not saying thats normal but it's s complicated sceince.

I think MCM used two cars didn't they? A small low powered hatchback, and a 2 litre turbo. Neither had a noticeable improvement.

Again I personally think it differs from car to car. I know people who have 100% made gains from induction kits when mapped for. Most modern engines won't make any extra power no matter you do unless mapped for it. They have a fine tolerance and the engine will stick to that and not make extra.

Like I said. Buy another, just in case you don't like it, but I think you will. The only thing you need to note is that you should change your air filter once a year. Most people follow that rule anyway, but VW's actually service plan says you should only change them once every 40k miles or something insane, which is well over a year for some people.

Give it a go. If you don't mind, record a video of the induction sound and post it up here :) I'd like to hear a GTi with a drilled airbox.