EPC warning light came on

So last night left the interior light on and woke up to a flat battery, been charging all day in shed, reconnected it and this warning light is now on, how do I get rid of it does it just mean the battery's low?

Thanks guys

EPC stands for something like electronic pedal control, or something like that. It usually lights up when something like your brake light switch has failed or something along those lines. Have you checked your brake lights today? If they're fine then you might need to scan it.

Well the engine management light has gone off (EPC), but now its been replaced with the exhaust emissions check light, my pal thinks its just confused since the battery was flat and removed and needs to be reset somehow hmm but I dunno

Those two lights are often linked. If they go away when you turn it off and on again I would assume it was to do with the battery. If they don't go away you'll have to hook it up and decode.

EPC actually stands for Electronic Power Control (Straight from the VW workshop manual)

It refers to the drive-by-wire system and any faults with the throttle pedal, throttle body, traction control, cruise control, even the MAF will on occasion trigger the light.

It's also known for a stuck brake light switch to do this. Some brake light switches have two pairs of contacts in them, one for the engine and one for the brake lights.

If changing the brake light switch doesn't cure it then you will need to get a VAGCOM scan of the engine controller.

Where abouts in scotland are you? If you're close to the forth valley area i can scan/clear it for you.

Thanks I'll sort out a scan

Edit just seen your post Rob, I'm in Dundee so not to far dunno if I wanna drive it far at the moment don't trust it with these lights

Edited by jgee

Those two lights are often linked. If they go away when you turn it off and on again I would assume it was to do with the battery. If they don't go away you'll have to hook it up and decode.

Haha, as if you found an old quote of mine ;)

If you whip the negative terminal off the battery for 2 minutes and then put it back on, it may well clear it. However you may also have an airbag warning fault because of the battery drain issue. Don't worry though, nothing serious.

I did hear disconnecting the battery for atleast 20 minutes, then connect the positive and negative cables together (not the battery terminals) does a proper reset, never done it myself though.

Check your brake lights work aswell

I did hear disconnecting the battery for atleast 20 minutes, then connect the positive and negative cables together (not the battery terminals) does a proper reset, never done it myself though.

Check your brake lights work aswell

I don't see how that would do anything. After 20 minutes, all remaining charge will have certainly drained from the system?

The battery was unplugged all day yesterday and when I connected it again that's when the lights appeared so unsure about that one guys, and the brake lights are working ok, I haven't driven it today but I started it up this morning and the lights where both gone but im waiting to drive it. not at home the now, to make sure

No, you said you woke up to a flat battery. A battery going flat can trigger a number of error codes including air bag warnings etc. Disconnecting the battery, waiting 2 minutes and reconnecting it won't trigger any error codes whatsoever.