Air Filter

afc1293

I have a Lupo 1.4i 16v sport, when I bought it someone put in an air filter but decided to hold it in using ALOT of duct tape. There's no cold air intake that I can see (unless I'm just being stupid). Does not having a cold air intake along with my air filter affect my mpg? If yes would it be easy enough to change back to the original filter?

It sounds like the work of some right Barry Boy.

Just to worn everyone I probably don't have a clue what I'm talking about so when I put a picture up don't be surprised if what I said is completely wrong

%7Boption%7Dhttp://s30.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Stuart/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfbc37ca2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

This is my 1.4 16v sport, this was fitted before I'd bought the car. I know the fact that it's held on by duct tape, that it's a dodgy job, I just want to know if this is affecting my mpg or not! If it is would it be difficult to change?

Crikey, that's a sorry looking thing!

I suspect that it would be affecting your cars' MPG, as a lack of sufficient air flow makes the car run richer, hence using more fuel. Place an ad in the wanted section on here to find a genuine VW replacement one as someone may have one kicking around that they are not using, worth a try.

Lupoboz

Crikey, that's a sorry looking thing!

I suspect that it would be affecting your cars' MPG, as a lack of sufficient air flow makes the car run richer, hence using more fuel. Place an ad in the wanted section on here to find a genuine VW replacement one as someone may have one kicking around that they are not using, worth a try.

Lupoboz

yea your right there haha! Cheers mate I'll give it a try! The noise it makes is horrendous as well! I liked it at first but now I'm just ting a sore head ?

That's an abomination.

A proper air box and paper filter will do your poor engine a world of good.

+1000000000000000

One that filter is held on with tape, 2 it's in a terrible position and 3 it looks dirty as hell.

+1000000000000000

One that filter is held on with tape, 2 it's in a terrible position and 3 it looks dirty as hell.

if I was to fit a proper induction kit does that still use more mpg?

if I was to fit a proper induction kit does that still use more mpg?

Maybe, not necessarily, regardless it doesn't do your car any good. I don't care what anyone says, as far as I'm concerned, unless you're willing to spend good money to take advantage of an induction kit and the slight improvement in air flow, then they are completely pointless. As well as being pointless, they effectively sand your engine away as their filtration is significantly worse than OEM and if you watch MCM, they did a comprehensive study of aftermarket air intakes including cold air intakes and the most they ever got was a 2kW improvement. Just not worth it.

If it's the sound you want, drill your OEM airbox, pre-filter of course.

I disagree with them sanding your engine. Yes the filtration is less but they are oiled and oem aren't. Also I know people with induction kits for 100k+ miles.

You will get NO power on a 1l. Dat noise tho.

I disagree with them sanding your engine. Yes the filtration is less but they are oiled and oem aren't. Also I know people with induction kits for 100k+ miles.

You will get NO power on a 1l. Dat noise tho.

But they only filter up to 92% and that is only up to. In fact, there was an experiment carried out by someone on the net, (i'll try find it) where he found the filtration of an aftermarket air filter could be as low as 65%.

True but will it cause issues?

dunno, I guess it would in the long term, but why take the risk?

Vroom vroom noise?

Drill two holes in your air box and you powaaaaaaaaaaaah. Well, noise anyway.

So basically in the long run I'd be best just getting an original lupo air filter?

In my opinion yes. Induction kits, aftermarket filters etc, they just aren't worth it. They sound good, but so does drilling your airbox. If you're after raw sound without the performance, drill your airbox, and change your backbox for a straight pipe. You'll sound like you're in a fast car, even though you're not :D

In my opinion yes. Induction kits, aftermarket filters etc, they just aren't worth it. They sound good, but so does drilling your airbox. If you're after raw sound without the performance, drill your airbox, and change your backbox for a straight pipe. You'll sound like you're in a fast car, even though you're not :D

Already got the straight box fitted mate. Just going to go for that then. If anyone knows of anyone selling on then that would be much appreciated thanks again.

Looks about right. Get yourself down a scrappy. Does 1.4 16v have the same airbox as a standard 1.4 ??

I wouldn't be surprised if your car actually feels more powerful on the standard airbox.