anyone seen this before?

jgee

Just been to the late night garage bought some new fuses because one of the electric window fuses was missing, but it still didn't do nothing with a new fuse.

Regulator clips failed and one lazy ass git bodged it back up and never bothered with the windows by the looks of it. Best to buy some new clips and whip out the regulator and see whats going on.

It may not be the clips, but can't see another reason as for the bodge

Edited by danoid

So it couldn't be a dead motor? The thing does nothing no sounds not even a wiggle

You got a point though will take it out and have a look at it tomorrow, got the wood to keep the window shut so should be ok

Edited by jgee

Well there could be a few things as to why it's not making a noise, the most obvious is that the power isn't even connected to the motor, might of disconnected it so it doesn't accidentally move.

One thing to be careful is, when removing the wood make sure it doesn't just drop down :paperbag:

I created this a while ago as there were none online, maybe help if your unsure on how to remove the regulator

http://danstyan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/VW-Lupo-Window-Regulator-Removal.pdf

Man that guide is brilliant will be very helpful, I was wondering where the power supply for the motor was because i thought it could be unplugged, tried to reach through but couldnt find anything

Update: got bored so had a go, turns out it was plugged in, halfway through removing the regulator now... My regulator was not connected to any clamps at the top, found two empty spaces no sign of any bolts gonna leave it for tonight don't wanna move the wooden block at this time

Edited by jgee

Here is my window regulator free does anybody see anything wrong with it right away or is it something more serious ?

https://plus.google.com/111790000470717685819/posts/5BHqm2R6kM5

Thanks for your time guys

Edit: clips look ok to me but I'm no expert trying to move it up and down by hand but it won't move

Edited by jgee
  • Like 1

Hmm it all looks okay from there, can you take a picture of the other side?

Take a look at the terminals for the motor connector aswell, could be shagged up.

Certainly bizzare so far, might even be both switches are dead

Edited by danoid

Just figured out how to upload more than one pic, the drivers door switch works for that window and central locking and the key controls the drivers window so I'm confused, the passengers door has been attempted to be broke into in the past and is slightly bent at the top but the glass still goes up tried it earlier when dismantled and don't think any of the electrics were damaged so probs unrelated

https://plus.google.com/111790000470717685819/posts/gA3QXH1d5Ku

It all looks good.

I'm slightly confused now though, the drivers electric window is 100% fine and working?

It's just the passenger one that doesn't work? even when using the passenger switch, passenger window switch (drivers side) and when you hold the key in and turn?

Edited by danoid

Yeah mate drivers side is good, but nothing moves the passenger side, if your stumped then I'm in trouble haha

Just been to see my mechanic mate and he's given up on it thinks i should just replace it infact he wants to just replace the whole door

Edited by jgee

We'll get there (maybe)

Some possibilities.

1. The motor is deader then a dead thing on a dead day.

2. The wiring in the door gaitor is chaffed - Push back the rubber door gaitor and check the cables, see if any are worn.

3. The terminals on the motor (where the harness plugs in) could be dirty - Have you cleaned these with electrical cleaner.

4. Both passenger and driver-passenger window switches failed - unlikely but you never now

Regarding the last one, I think you can remove the electric window module from the drivers side and plug in the wiring for passenger into the driver window switch (if you get me, so basically ruling out the passenger window switch. I think it's like brown for passenger, so plug that into where the driver wire goes, not 100% this works as it was ages ago)

Could even invest in a new regulator with motor on ebay.

One thing you could try (apprantly your meant to get a new motor after you do this, but i've done it before and it was fine) and thats take the casing off the motor and turn the inside of the motor by hand, could be fubar.

Check this, mainly the last few photos of inside the motor

http://danstyan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/VW-Lupo-Window-Regulator-Cog.pdf

If you look at the last photo, you'll see a cog, when the motor turns, it turns the cog which moves the regulator up and down - If you take off the cover to see this, the regulator will need to be hooked back up and it's a real nightmare to get it spooled back up again

Edited by danoid

Gonna have a shot will try the simple ones first I have got electrical cleaner in my toolbox, although I think it cant be so simple and itll come down to the taking it a part bit, sods law :P

Edit Well I did find a loose wire when checking, a brown one reconnected it but can't see any difference, and interesting thing the drivers switch both switches work but the passengers switch doesn't bring the glass down only up, still a dead passenger side regulator whilst doing all of this, and couldn't get into the motor its the one size I didn't have of star headed screwdrivers, shame id like to have a go at that

Edited by jgee

Doh, I think it's like a T8 isn't it.

Which switch doesn't bring the glass down only up? Is that for the passenger regulator or just the drivers one?

Was the loose wire in the passenger door bit rubber?

That was the drivers side switch with two buttons, swapped the clips around and both worked the window, but the button for passenger side only raises it, the other switch on the passenger side has a different shaped plug so couldn't move it

The wire was just a normal wire think it was going to the door speaker but tried it anyway

Edited by jgee
  • Like 1

Pricing up a replacement, breakeryard.com got a good quote with motor, was at VW this morning to pick up new check strap pins,

Window regulator = £97

Motor = £200 odd

The guy was ashamed to tell me lol

Had a similar issue on my Chrysler Grand Voyager (yeah, I know - couldn't get a more different car than my Lupo). Stripped off the door card, tapped the motor lightly with a hammer and it worked again.

They tend to sieze a little due to lack of use.

It's a bit of a reach, but if you're out of other options, it might be worth a try. Doesn;t cost anything either!

Good luck!

I'll try anything,think I got an idea about what may have caused this I'm sat in the car in the rain without the door cards on and there's some dripping coming in inside the door, must be because of the slightly bent door or window not installed correctly just on a piece of wood, the waters probably killed the motor, trying to protect my other cables now

• 2 weeks later...

Update I got a new regulator and motor from a breaker which was tested working and it won't work in my lupo, so now I think I have two fully working regulators and motors, so I think i have a problem in the electronics I done a VAGCOM scan which I linked on the post and didn't find nothing related to it.

Dunno how to proceed

https://plus.google.com/111790000470717685819/posts/WAgJQBbictc

Hmm, well your Coolant Temp senser is easy to fix/replace and should see better MPG (do a search on here, should be a guide for a 1.4)

So were back to square one.

Is the new regulator in?

What you can do is take the glass out completely, then lock the car and keep the key turned, does it operate at all? not too sure if this has already been tested, if it operates then your main wiring is fine

• 2 weeks later...

My windows central locking and remote fob wasnt working wgen i brought my lupo after blowing countless fuses i stripped out the door harness and cut back the black foam tape 4 wires were cut through and one was completely cut , i soldered them up and good as new , ive recently stripped it out and put a new loom in though hope this helps