Gti exhaust covering my boot in black stuff?

Not sure what it's actually spraying out, but it's quite a lot, covering my boot and rear bumper in little black bits of something? Any ideas?

Also, the exhaust seems to sit a little low, I can see a bracket with bolt hole about a foot down the exhaust from the tips, should that be attached to something?

Not sure what it's actually spraying out, but it's quite a lot, covering my boot and rear bumper in little black bits of something? Any ideas?

Also, the exhaust seems to sit a little low, I can see a bracket with bolt hole about a foot down the exhaust from the tips, should that be attached to something?

you can put a long screw through that bracket into the boot and it will hold the exhaust up however that black stuff could be oil! could be something as simple as too much oil in the engine :)

• Like 1

Engine oil. Check your level, if it's too high, get it out!

If your levels are correct or low, then common fault is the valve stem seals.

Not necessarily oil, touch the spots with your finger and see if it rubs away, could be unburnt hydrocarbons of the engine is running too rich.

Edited by jon_273
  • Like 1

you can put a long screw through that bracket into the boot and it will hold the exhaust up however that black stuff could be oil! could be something as simple as too much oil in the engine :)

Thanks, will get the drill out later! :)

Take your plugs out and check them for carbon fouling; dark black\sooty

Rings, best to get a compression test, though you will most likely be burning some oil, so top up to the level and check after a good run.

Mine was doing that, had a piston ring on cylinder 3 that was letting oil past it, had the engine rebuilt, bore re-honed and she's good as new!

• Like 1

Mine was doing that, had a piston ring on cylinder 3 that was letting oil past it, had the engine rebuilt, bore re-honed and she's good as new!

Oh good. Sounds like an easy fix :-/

For plugs go for NGK.

When was the last time they were changed? If it was yonks ago then no harm if it doesn't resolve the issue as they are not massively expensive anyway

Edited by danoid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now completed a full service myself. Apart from fuel filter (couldn't get it off). Changed spark plugs aswel, the ones that were in the car were Bosch plugs, have I read that they're not great?

Replaced with all genuine parts and ngk spark plugs, given the car a clean and will see if it makes a difference when I've given it a good run!

You're burning oil.

Stick some 15/40 in as it's thicker when cold.

If it gets really bad bang it full of hypoid gearbox oil and stick it back on the bay.