Elephant mod (diesel owners)

Hi guys,

So I have been researching another thing. I'm going to try it but with a little twist. Basically petrol cars have PCV's which can go into vacuum but apparently diesels have CCV which don't go into vacuum. BUT I read that when using gears to slow down (In a tdi something to do with the turbo?) or when it cools matter can be dragged up which I don't really like the idea of.

So normally the crankcase vents and it is pulled through into the into. That's what makes the inside of the inlet oily and greasy. Not blocked with carbon thats the evil EGR! So what? Well that oil dirties everything, makes inlet temps higher, could dirty your maf and the oil makes it much harder to cool the air.

The elephant mod means blocking the port to intake for the CCV and getting a long hose and venting the CCV to atmosphere. I'd perfer to have a catch can but not the normal kind as I don't want to reintroduce that air back into the system. So I am taking the feed from the CCV then to a hose then into a catch can and then it will be vented to atmosphere with a breather filter. I did think of just connecting up the catch can in the normal way but if I find the CCV valve smells I will do this.

Basic idea of a catch can

catch_can_design.jpg

CrankcaseBreather_41.jpg

Breather filter.

BUT I might just either leave it open or just slap a breather on it. Interesting mod has anyone else done it?

Right after reading more it turns out a catch can will need emptied fairly regularly. Not good for someone who does loads of miles. So I just got some hose, a blanking plate and a breather hose.

So I'm just going to blank off the inlet port. Take the hose put it on the "puck" and then route it to the bottom of the car and stick on the breather filter job done! Will update with pics once they arrive.

Thank you to who ever this was on Briskoda. This is a catch can with breather. At the top the little black thing is just plugging the hole.

001-10.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm I think all diesels have positive crankcase pressure or is it just turbo diesels? I'm really not sure.

I'll have a look to see if sdi's can use it. A good point which people made is that it's not fully responsible for the heavy carbon deposits. Technically the carbon from the egr should be dry as its hot. But the oily lining the CCV makes gives it something to stick to.

It's odd as the reasoning behind it is sound but some people get a 0.5-2mpg gain. Some people report better running. Some people get nothing but it's good preventative maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

from reading the above, i do roughly 300-400 miles a week (dual carriage way/ a roads) would a catch can not be advised? im no fussed about emptying it, but more concerned about simply venting to atmosphere,

cheers

Anthony

• 2 months later...