Smokey Joe any help please?

Rebel_DaN

Hi guys, Ive just got my first Lupo and im pretty annoyed you cant seem to get hold of a Haynes book of lies for one. Mines a 1.4 16v sport in green. So if I wanted more technical data on the engine what haynes book of lies should I buy a polo one? If so which model would I need to buy is it a 6n2?

A brief history of the car, I picked it up yesterday after winning it on ebay £820 107k miles W reg, it was sold with the pretence that the throttle sensor needed replacing as the idle on a cold day is a bit up and down. Ive not noticed this as its not been cold yet. What I have noticed is that at around 2k rpm ish I get a really odd sounding buzzing almost sounds like a prop plane. I thought at first it was the engine bay area but it would seem to be coming from the backbox ( center exit ( very kool looking)). Along with this buzzy noise I get a fair bit of smoke its white ish blue ish and smells very fuel ish. Smoke detection is not an exact science!

At higher revs 3k plus she pulls like a train and is rather fun until you hit a sharp corner then the front end is like a boat! Nice stiff rear, but has a trampoline under each front wheel! Shall have to sort that out after said noisy smoke problem!

I've done a bit of reading on this and that, what it could be. Ive cleaned the throttle body. Only with tissue as I dont have any carb cleaner at present. I pulled apart the air box to find that pretty oily. The breather pipe attached to the air box left side was full of mayo gunk. How an earth do you get the end of the this pipe off and what is it attached too? It looked like it had some kind of plastic very breakable clips on the bottom end of it. I squeezed out alot of gunk and noticed a small hole in the breather where it had been rubbing on a clip sticking out of the firewall. Anyone know where I can get a replacement hose ebay and euro parts didnt seem to have anything?

I stuck it all back together after blowing down the breather pipe to unblock it. The engine seem really responsive to the throttle and I couldnt make it make the funny noise or smoke. Cured? i doubt it lol Im not that lucky. Just noticed I have very little to no oil in the engine. Im out of oil and its Bank holiday drat! I will post up some pics of my findings. Thanks for any comments in advance.

DaN

20140421_134838.jpg

This is the gunk I squeezed out of my airbox to ??? breather hose it has a smallish hole in it where it has rubbed against a clip on the firewall. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

20140421_141902.jpg

This is where on the airbox the breather connects to is this supposed to be a one way valve?

20140421_140846.jpg

This is the bit Im afraid of breaking any tip on how to get this bottom end off? And what is it connected to?

20140421_134612.jpg

Rather alot of muddy water splashed up the back of the firewall here! I got the car from a farm possible flood damage maybe..?

A bit more searching and reading is the hose i have with a hole in it connected to the crank case and some valve bit? If so I think I can chop the pipe off and put a separate oil breather filter on it and this in turn would stop the oily air getting to the throttle body in the first place.

im keeping a keen eye on this thread my car is having this problem,

quick question, i your going a high revs for say 10/20 miles ie on a motor way then pull off and stop at a junction then set off again is there a bit cloud behind you ?

ive also herd about cleaining these pipes but havnt got around to it yet

Got to say, same ish problem here, smokes a bit at high revs? Plus its lost power as well? Ie hit 60mph then plods along and struggles on steep hills in high gears...

Well it still smoking more so on launch off than at higher speed. I got a friend with a computer I can plug into, hopefully that will tell me something. It doesnt seem to of lost any power, but its been like this since i got it so maybe its not running at full power I wouldnt know the difference. Its not particulary quick til it hits 3k rpm then she off!

Regarding Haynes manuals, this is from their website:

See Volkswagen Polo manual number 3500 which covers most mechanicals including 1.0 litre petrol (engine codes AER & ALL) & 1.7 litre diesel (AKU) engines.
The Volkswagen Polo manual number 4150 covers 1.0 litre (ALD & AUC) & 1.4 litre (AFK, AHW, APE, AQQ, AUA, AUB & AUD) petrol engines.
The Volkswagen Polo manual number 4608 will cover 1.4 litre 75bhp (BBY) petrol engines and 1.4 litre 75bhp 3 cylinder (AMF) diesel engines.
1.6 litre petrol engines or any other engine codes are NOT covered.

So check your engine code, if it's AUB you need the blue one, 6n2 2000-2002

For bodywork and general mechanicals supposedly Manual 3500 1994-1999 6n (red) is the one you want, but it hasn't been much help to me so far

Edited by stator

so i tried to remove the breather pipe with great failure,

that plastic connector seemed to have two tabs which looked like if you popped them off it would come out, no look there

the box that it connects too seems to have 3 or 4 Allan key bolts which where seized

so squeezed it like a frube to get the most out of it runs smoother not at much smoking but still there

Right, well Ive had it plugged into my mates computer he reset all the codes lambda sensor and throttle body had shown up on it a few times, not suprising considering how much fuel is going through the engine when its revving hard. He said its a common problem with Lupos and polos the breather goes all soft ( which mine is VERY) when the engine revs hard the pipe sucks together causing excessing pressure in the crankcase. WHich in turn forces engine oil up the breather into the airbox and into your throttle body. So I need a new breather pipe, the search continues......... Does anyone elses 16v rasp or is it just my backbox getting old?