TDi boosting problems

So got my timing belt and egr blank fitted the other day. Engine was nice and smooth. It was making a ticking noise though when boosting I put that down to my worn mounts.

Anyway drove to work. Fine still sounded funny under boost but pulled nicely. Came home went up a hill no boost. Well it will get to 4.7psi according to scangauge but no more. No codes and it doesn't go past 60mph in 5th. It's slow as hell.

So I'm thinking it could be

Boost leak?

N75?

Dodgy Maf?

sticky wastegate?

Any ideas or where to start would be great. Pain but it needs fixed.

Could there be any leaks around the EGR blanking plate? Maybe you knocked the MAF sensor a few times when you changed the cambelt and it broke, iv'e heard these are fragile.

Yeah need to check. Was actually a garage that changed it since I didn't have time. Now I remember why I only work on the car myself!

Yeah to test the MAF I will unlplug it and see if it does anything. If not its borked.

I think its a boost leak. Could very well be the EGR blank since the guy didn't fit it on the right bit.

Does removing the MAF sensor make a difference? I removed mine to test why mine was down on power. No matter what the engine not stayed the same with the MAF sensor in or out. I'd be interested to hear how yours responds.

Yeah need to check. Was actually a garage that changed it since I didn't have time. Now I remember why I only work on the car myself!

Yeah to test the MAF I will unlplug it and see if it does anything. If not its borked.

I think its a boost leak. Could very well be the EGR blank since the guy didn't fit it on the right bit.

So turns out I asked the garage to fit the egr blank. So instead of doing it properly and removing the pipe from the manifold to the EGR he just stuck the blank on the pipe going to the egr. That pipe has little flexy bits on it and since there was nothing to keep the shape since the EGR bit had been replaced for a bit of pipe it wobbled and broke.

All fixed now. Literally a 10min job. Garages suck.

IMG_0728.jpg

It was the pipe on the right that was leaking since it split due to the garage installing the part WITH INSTRUCTIONS incorrectly. That's why I do everything on the car myself usually.

So turns out I asked the garage to fit the egr blank. So instead of doing it properly and removing the pipe from the manifold to the EGR he just stuck the blank on the pipe going to the egr. That pipe has little flexy bits on it and since there was nothing to keep the shape since the EGR bit had been replaced for a bit of pipe it wobbled and broke.

All fixed now. Literally a 10min job. Garages suck.

IMG_0728.jpg

It was the pipe on the right that was leaking since it split due to the garage installing the part WITH INSTRUCTIONS incorrectly. That's why I do everything on the car myself usually.

Haha, glad you got it sorted mate. Iv'e got a blank plate myself. Did you happen to take more pics of your removal and plate fitting procedure? I want to do mine. Did you have to get underneath the car to remove the pipe from the manifold?

Edited by Rickpercy87

No mate it's simple enough. Take off the big poor with the saucer on it. Undo the 2 bolts on the manifold. 13mm I'm sure. Just put some plus gas on them. Undo them. Then undo the 3 he's bolts for the egr that connects to the intake. Off it comes.

I had a quick blast at removing the saucer before. I got the big pipe from the intercooler off and had a look inside. It's absolutely caked! I was gona clean it but I couldnt remove the damn thing. Theres three bolts, two are easy but the third bolt is behind the metal pipe that goes to the manifold. I couldn't get to it lol. I'll have another gander next week.

• Like 1

You say garages suck, hopefully they haven't ballsed up on your timing belt, that could be screamish

Don't say that! To be fair the car is actually running nicely since the timing was done. Just don't get them to "mod" the car.

I had a quick blast at removing the saucer before. I got the big pipe from the intercooler off and had a look inside. It's absolutely caked! I was gona clean it but I couldnt remove the damn thing. Theres three bolts, two are easy but the third bolt is behind the metal pipe that goes to the manifold. I couldn't get to it lol. I'll have another gander next week.

Yeah it's horrible in there. One day I want to remove my inlet manifold and shot blast the inside to get rid of the crap there.

No mate it's simple enough. Take off the big poor with the saucer on it. Undo the 2 bolts on the manifold. 13mm I'm sure. Just put some plus gas on them. Undo them. Then undo the 3 he's bolts for the egr that connects to the intake. Off it comes.

I tried this again today lol, but those bolts attached to the manifold were a nightmare. I didn't have anything to aid them to come off. I gave the EGR a clean tho. Don't think I can tel any difference in performance tho. Throttle response may be a tad better.