ABS - fault

Right, I had some new tyres put on a few weeks ago, as soon as I drove off the ABS light was on, which to I assumed they must of knocked the sensor or something.. The light isn't on all the time it's now and again. When I was fitting my momo wheel today and my mechanic plugging it into vagcom to clear airbag light, the fault for the ABS came up saying hydraulic pump.. He was unsure as to what it could acctually be as like I said it came on as soon as my tyres were changed so the sensor, but he said it should of come up sensor if it was the sensor.. If that makes sence?!

Anyway, I'm now confused as to what it may be! Any hints or tips? I've seen a few threads going round to quick fix's or finding out what the problem is etc..

Any help appreciated!!

Take the ABS sensor out and give it a clean. The end is usually magnetic and probably got too much crud on it.

It looks like on the Lupo the ABS sensor is screwed in with a torx screw

This is the fellow

31t%2Bprm9N0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by danoid

Could be several things:

Abs sensor

Abs loom

fuse on top of the battery

I helped a customer here a few days ago with a 9N polo, fault said hydraulic pump, traced it to a 40amp strip fuse on top of the battery

Once the problem is fixed you shouldn't have to reset the light.

I'd start with cleaning your abs sensors, just jack up car, take wheel off, unbolt it, clean it with a good rag, put back on, do the other side. Could do backs aswell if your up for it, but usually fronts screw up more

The ABS sensors rarely come out that easily. The last one I changed I had to smash out with a hammer and screwdriver. Others have had to do the same too. VCDS did tell me which one was faulty though.

I'd start with that fuse on top of the battery, probably the easiest thing to check. It could also be a damaged ABS ring.

Good rag for cleaning.

I had an ABS fault on my car, but never triggered the light or came up with a code. Gave it a good clean and job done.

I've heard stories of peoples get stuck, but luckily my Passat is push in and pull out.

But I would only do that if you have checked the fuses etc, that's a lot easier!

Edited by danoid

I don't have a strip fuse on my battery, that's polos only.. The light has gone off now.. So temperamental. I might just give the sensors a look at at the weekend... See how they are looking