Do you regret selling your GTI?

Joti

Just sold it.....And yes i do :paperbag:

i must say im rather glad you did!!

I think Patrick is happy after his drive home!

gigidy!!!

Good to hear :)

Glad it went to a good home, i am sure i will have another.

Going to look at an e46 330 in the morning.

i was meant to drop you a text when i got back but my phone was dead and i was starving so kinda slipped my mind!!!! ill drop you a message at a reasonable time of day! but the car was perfect on the way back!!! never skipped a beat untill i went to do a quick gear change and ended up with the gear gator in my hand :') was a good laugh that!! however a little clip back on the end of the knob and it is securly on to fight another gear change aha!

You weren't interested in my excellent condition 330 as a PX as you said you don't like BMWs?! Bizarre...

I wasn't looking at them at the time, and i like to choose my cars.

I bought a very good one today with money left over from the lupo, i doubt that would happen with part ex/swap...

Haha.

It was when I'd gotten the VX220 and was going to sell the Lupo, then the VX was a pain, so I came in my Dad's A6, then I ended up swapping back to the Lupo to sell the VX.

The A6 was cool! It wasn't uncomfortable at first, but I think the cheap coilovers worsened quickly and it became pretty bumpy. Of course it was on Bentley wheels with 35 profile tyres, which didn't help. But what's not to get? He wanted a car with 5 seats and a big boot. Lowering it didn't take that away.

• Like 1

Haha.

It was when I'd gotten the VX220 and was going to sell the Lupo, then the VX was a pain, so I came in my Dad's A6, then I ended up swapping back to the Lupo to sell the VX.

The A6 was cool! It wasn't uncomfortable at first, but I think the cheap coilovers worsened quickly and it became pretty bumpy. Of course it was on Bentley wheels with 35 profile tyres, which didn't help. But what's not to get? He wanted a car with 5 seats and a big boot. Lowering it didn't take that away.

Haha.

Yeah but as a young person the image is poo of an old man car. If on normal suspension even with funny wheels the ride would have been nice and comfortable. IMO it's just ruining a car. If the audi a6 ride was bad why not buy a vectra estate or the likes as the image is no different and the ride will be similar. If it hadn't have lowered it would have been a luxury cruiser which I get.

To me it makes no sense but as I said each to their own.

It was an old man's car, it was my dad's! I had just borrowed it for the weekend.

Who in their right mind would want a Vectra?

Ahh, I thought you bought it off him. You get where I am coming from though? Like I say each to their own and if thats what people enjoy but some people just do things they hate without releasing why they do them lol.

Phil's Dad is a big kid like the rest of us and I reckon he uses Phil as his excuse to mod things.

I however want a shot in Phil's mum's car...

A Vectra estate does not equal an Audi A6 Avant. To be fair, in the Vectra's favour it's quite rare in estate form, and probably just as spacious, but you have completely missed the point...

• Like 1

A Vectra estate does not equal an Audi A6 Avant. To be fair, in the Vectra's favour it's quite rare in estate form, and probably just as spacious, but you have completely missed the point...

I think your missing the point. Like say I bought a 7 series. A nice 750iL. Then I lowered it stripped off the air suspension. Took out the nice interior and sound deadening and replaced it with lightweight stuff. Someone would say why not buy a lotus instead of making a car something it was never meant to be. I know that's a VAST over exaggeration but just to get my point across. but if I did it would not be impressive it would just IMO be a waste of car and money.

I like comfy cars to be comfy and sports cars to be sporty. That's why I haven't lowered my arosa. Yes it would look better but then I'm losing the comfort of my daily driver. A guy bought one on here for a daily driver and slammed it on coiles. I asked why as the ride would be crap. He said he didn't mind then smashed him sump lol!!

I'm not moddin expert but what I have learned is that you should not compromise a car too much or try to make it something it isn't. The only time you can is if you have money. Say you lower the car on Ohlins it will probably ride better than oem but you might be £3k-£4k on a suspension set up where as cheap ones lower but have a much choppier ride.

That why I said each to their own. I personally find modding to a cars strength is a good thing. But not everyone is the same. So calm down bag lovers :-p.

I've recently had the suspension replaced on that lardy old blue barge featured in the pic above. I had it lowered before winter, could feel every bump/bounce. Raised it to close to standard height for the winter and couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was so i'll probably leave it like that. Also it's less likely to gouge holes in the driveway with the exhausts. Saying that, the ride on coilies is far superior to the standard suspension. Jon will attest to the back end wiggle issue i had coming down from the Cairngorms.

• Like 1

I think your missing the point. Like say I bought a 7 series. A nice 750iL. Then I lowered it stripped off the air suspension. Took out the nice interior and sound deadening and replaced it with lightweight stuff. Someone would say why not buy a lotus instead of making a car something it was never meant to be. I know that's a VAST over exaggeration but just to get my point across. but if I did it would not be impressive it would just IMO be a waste of car and money.

I like comfy cars to be comfy and sports cars to be sporty. That's why I haven't lowered my arosa. Yes it would look better but then I'm losing the comfort of my daily driver. A guy bought one on here for a daily driver and slammed it on coiles. I asked why as the ride would be crap. He said he didn't mind then smashed him sump lol!!

I'm not moddin expert but what I have learned is that you should not compromise a car too much or try to make it something it isn't. The only time you can is if you have money. Say you lower the car on Ohlins it will probably ride better than oem but you might be £3k-£4k on a suspension set up where as cheap ones lower but have a much choppier ride.

That why I said each to their own. I personally find modding to a cars strength is a good thing. But not everyone is the same. So calm down bag lovers :-p.

No, I understand your point. You're saying that the A6 was ruined by being lowered too much and fitting big wheels. But what if you decide to modify a car not for performance, but for looks? There is a pretty significant trend within VAG circles of modifying with emphasis on looks, which I am sure you have noticed! There are plenty of people out there prepared to sacrifice ride quality (by varying degrees) to achieve the look they want.

So in this case, say someone buys a cheap-ish VAG estate and wants to put their own stamp on it? Bigger, wider wheels are the first step, but it would look rather silly if it wasn't lowered. So they can either spend more than what the car is worth on Ohlins coilovers or an air ride kit, or they could whack some cheap coilovers on, save a load of money and put up with a harsher ride. That's the choice people make. Whether you have TA Technix or Ohlins, it still looks the same. And if it's not an everyday car, then you can understand why people don't go for the expensive option.

Eventually some will get sick of the poor ride, and either put it back to standard, or fit better suspension! That's usually how these things go. For some reason people like to find out these things for themselves though. Like that guy with the 1.4 TDi who smashed his sump - it was obvious to you and I that that was going to happen, but he still slammed it and drove around in it anyway. It's a classic case of looks before practicality and performance - which is very common in the modified VW scene! Just go to any VW show and see all the cars that have really nice, expensive wheels fitted with Nankang tyres. People fit them because they're cheap and look the best when stretched, even if they are crap in the wet.

Now for the record not everyone modifies their VW like that, but plenty of people do, and fair play to them for putting up with the compromises in ride, wet handling, tyre wear from lots of camber etc. that come along with it, because I know I couldn't!

• Like 2

No, I understand your point. You're saying that the A6 was ruined by being lowered too much and fitting big wheels. But what if you decide to modify a car not for performance, but for looks? There is a pretty significant trend within VAG circles of modifying with emphasis on looks, which I am sure you have noticed! There are plenty of people out there prepared to sacrifice ride quality (by varying degrees) to achieve the look they want.

So in this case, say someone buys a cheap-ish VAG estate and wants to put their own stamp on it? Bigger, wider wheels are the first step, but it would look rather silly if it wasn't lowered. So they can either spend more than what the car is worth on Ohlins coilovers or an air ride kit, or they could whack some cheap coilovers on, save a load of money and put up with a harsher ride. That's the choice people make. Whether you have TA Technix or Ohlins, it still looks the same. And if it's not an everyday car, then you can understand why people don't go for the expensive option.

Eventually some will get sick of the poor ride, and either put it back to standard, or fit better suspension! That's usually how these things go. For some reason people like to find out these things for themselves though. Like that guy with the 1.4 TDi who smashed his sump - it was obvious to you and I that that was going to happen, but he still slammed it and drove around in it anyway. It's a classic case of looks before practicality and performance - which is very common in the modified VW scene! Just go to any VW show and see all the cars that have really nice, expensive wheels fitted with Nankang tyres. People fit them because they're cheap and look the best when stretched, even if they are crap in the wet.

Now for the record not everyone modifies their VW like that, but plenty of people do, and fair play to them for putting up with the compromises in ride, wet handling, tyre wear from lots of camber etc. that come along with it, because I know I couldn't!

Well said :-)